• Slip 2000

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • Ballistol

Votes: 15 24.6%
  • Other: please comment below

Votes: 29 47.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If you gotta use an automotive product, ATF is probably about as good as you can do. It has some downsides, but that's because it's an automotive product, not a gun oil. It's not going to hurt the gun and it's definitely cheap.

For now, Breakfree CLP.

It seems like a reasonably good product, but I really like the idea of safer products so I'll probably try some Lubriplate products next.

I mixd up a gallon batch of the 'slick stuff" from the recipient on https://www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm#Oil site. I like it, a bit thicker than regular atf or Mobil one which I have used with no problems. And it clings to the gun nicely. Picked a couple of gallons of LSA as well, so honestly I'll never need to buy gun oil again, And for grease, they were tossing three 35 pound pails of greases, one of Mobil red semi-fluid grease and 2 of a Shell winter rated grease. They are grease but not thick like a wheel bearing or axle grease. So I will die and still ave left overs for the kids. Guns survived for decades on a diet of sewing machine oil, WD40 or just what ever oil gramps had around. They will work fine on most any oil. I didn't know I needed expensive gun oil before they invented the internet.

I use to use BALISTOLL, but I switched to G96 for general purpose cleaning

G96 is cheaper and smells a lot better than Ballistol

Lucas Extreme Duty - tried it after a recommendation from another shooter at a steel challenge match and all of my guns have run great with it.

I tried a bunch of different lubes and then settled on Weapon Shield. It seems like the guns are easier to clean after I use it, and it smells better than a lot of the other oils. I also use a little white lithium grease on rails.

Breakfree CLP - use it on all rifles and pistols. Has worked even in the cold to 10 degrees when used sparingly on slides. Cleans up OK.

Bought two cans 7 years ago - still using up the second one. Thinking about Lucas though.

I've been using Break Free since about 1977 or so. I see no reason to change. I've never had a gun rust, or any other lube related problems, so...

I've got some others, but honestly, they just don't work any better and some of them really stink.

Back