Votes: 4 6.6%
  • Ballistol

Votes: 15 24.6%
  • Other: please comment below

Votes: 29 47.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Shadow9mm

Hey, I don't want to start a debate, argument, or bashing thread. I'm just looking at what lubes you you guys are using and why.

I am currently using Lucas Extreme Duty oil and grease. A co worker of mine showed it to me, and it as super slick stuff. It also seems to be a tad on the thick side and stay in place very well. It also stayed in place on my AR and did not just burn off right away.

Oils I have used in the past
Rem Oil
Hoppes
Weapon Shield
Frog lube Paste (never tried the oil)
RIG grease
weapon shield lithium grease
Lucal gun oil
Eexoz (ok oil amazing rust prevention)
Ballistol

Ballistol because I like it and have used it for years and some synthetic grease that I’ve had for sometime and can’t remember the name as it’s in an unmarked container.

Gun Butter for all my polymer pistols, excellent all weather lube

it has excellent adhesion and doesnt fling off during firing or drip out, it stays where you put it, thats why it works well on a polymer pistol with very small rail lugs like a Glock or HK USP

LUCAS EXTREME gun lube is another great product and is available at almost all gun shops, and doesnt cost much.

I use either Gun Butter, or my home brew of Mobil-1 15W50 with some micro-fine molydenum powder mixed into it.
Out of curiosity, Why the Moly?
When I really used to keep up with the latest in industrial lubes, molly had fallen out of fashion. Several grease reps told me they had found out it was one of those things that looked wonderful in the lab, but did not work quite so well in real world.

reynolds357 said:
Out of curiosity, Why the Moly?
For the plating action. My hope is that, over time, the moly will fill in the micro roughness of the mating surfaces and make things run a little smoother.

My frame of reference is my 1988 Jeep Cherokee. The '88 Cherokee had a Peugeot 5-speed that earned the nickname "Puke goat" and is notorious for cashing in its chips within 100,000 miles or less. I run mine with a moly additive ... I'm at 287,000 miles and the transmission still runs and shifts like new. Maybe I'm just a good driver, or ... maybe I'm not, and there's something to this moly thing.

For the plating action. My hope is that, over time, the moly will fill in the micro roughness of the mating surfaces and make things run a little smoother.

My frame of reference is my 1988 Jeep Cherokee. The '88 Cherokee had a Peugeot 5-speed that earned the nickname "Puke goat" and is notorious for cashing in its chips within 100,000 miles or less. I run mine with a moly additive ... I'm at 287,000 miles and the transmission still runs and shifts like new. Maybe I'm just a good driver, or ... maybe I'm not, and there's something to this moly thing.
Makes sense in the tranny. Molly shines in high heat and high pressure. Its in low heat applications where it seems to gum up the works. I used to use moly grease to break in flat tappet cam shafts. Worked good for that.

Why

Ballistol these days, as I can use it both on my modern and BP guns w/ no regard to corrosion of fouling associated with petroleum products and BP. I am also a fan of TRW25B, but do no use it on BP, and of course, that's technically a grease I think.

Ballistol , It does it all . Doesn't effect wood or leather in a bad way . It stay on the surfaces and it's the slickest lube I ever used. I originally used it as a lube but when I tested it for cleaning , it removes everything . You should run a few dry patches before shooting , like I said it very slick .
PS : My wife hates the smell , I have to clean in the backyard . It's not that bad , I know everyone like the smell of " old reliable" Hoppes#9

I haven't bought a lube in years. Free samples and dregs of automotive and industrial lubricants work fine on guns.
I have moly, graphite, and lithium greases that are very smooth on auto pistol rails, otherwise this or that oil. The last free sample of Official Gun Oil was Lucas, which seems pretty good.

My hunting guns used in the cold I use a light mist of spray silicone because any oil gets thick in the cold.
After hunting I clean & re-oil them for protection.

I use Mobile one...a full synthetic.

Why: Because when I was a kid, car engines were all worn-out and burning oil by the time they turned over 80,000 miles. Nowadays, because of the advancement in auto oil, most autos go way beyond 100,000 some reaching 200,000...which was unheard of back then.

More on Moly

Makes sense in the tranny. Molly shines in high heat and high pressure. Its in low heat applications where it seems to gum up the works. I used to use moly grease to break in flat tappet cam shafts. Worked good for that.
Aside from using Moly based chain-lub, I use Moly grease especially on contact points. Most of us "Vintage" members are familiar with Gun-Slick, with is graphite grease. They still make it and both serve the same purpose. witch is;

Be Safe !!!

CLP because when I as shooting AR-15 all the fellas said that was the stuff... basically mil spec. So I have a couple little bottles and that should last another 50 years or so.

I also use Shooters Choice silicone “grease” but after 20 years I need another 50cc syringe of the stuff.

High tech synthetics for me. I’m no longer shooting black powder but with that stuff 100% bore butter because it smells better than lard.

Back