What firearm have you replaced as technology evolves?

Here's a question, is a change in materials used or the manufacturing process actually a change in technology? Or is it just an adaptation of the existing/previous technology??

Lets say I make a part out of steel, and later on someone figures out how an aluminium alloy can be used and the part will still do its job the same way, and later still someone else figures out how to use a plastic to do the same job, the same way, is that really an advancement in technology?

Or is it an advancement in materials technology, but not design techology?

If I use computer controlled machines to make it, replacing skilled workers doing it by hand, that's an advancement in manufacturing technology, but if I'm using that CNC to make the same product, a basic design that's been in use for well over a century (or longer??) is that an advancement in Firearms technology? I don't think so, not really.

And, are TINY changes in the details of how a mechanism works worthy of the term "advance in technology?" Every advertising guy seems to think so, but their job isn't to be accurate, its to sell a product.

And then, there's also the fact that some people see "an improvement" where others just see "a change".

One see this all the time these days, I do, virtually every time my computer upgrades itself. I see a change, but rarely an improvement, and sometimes things are worse for me after an "upgrade" than they were before. :rolleyes:

44 AMP said:
Here's a question, is a change in materials used or the manufacturing process actually a change in technology?

I'd say it is, to an extent. But there hasn't really been any of that since the '70s. People act like polymer frames are radically new stuff, but the VP70 and Nylon 66 have been around forever. Even the Glock has gray in its beard.

I have very little grey in my beard. Its nearly all white! :D

Remington introduced its "Zytel" Nylon in the early 60s. The VP 70's polymer was about a decade later. Glock and their formulation a bit more than a decade after that.

Has there been anything in the last 40 years or so that "takes us to the next level"?? I haven't seen it. Some things have taken us up a step or two, but there are still a lot of steps up before we get to the next level.

Where's my recoilless magnum that weighs nothing and holds 10,000 rds of ammo? Where's my jet pack? Where's my two week vacation on the Mars liner? Where's my damn flying car???? :rolleyes:

Want some amusement? watch an old show (like Disney) from the 50s and see where we were going to be in the 70s, 90s, and beyond, and see just how far we haven't come.....

Metallic cartridge firearms are a pretty mature technology. There hasn't been a really novel operating system since the Fifties or a really new material technology since the Eighties... Nineties if you want to count mass-produced titanium parts.

44 AMP said:
Want some amusement? watch an old show (like Disney) from the 50s and see where we were going to be in the 70s, 90s, and beyond, and see just how far we haven't come.....

I disagree. They imagined flying cars, but they still pictured computers as taking up whole rooms. Heck, half the electronic devices I considered essential when I first registered at this forum (Walkman/Discman, handheld GPS, portable video game system, pocket camera, video recorder, etc) have all been replaced by one supercomputer in my pocket that also makes phone calls!

Back