What firearm have you replaced as technology evolves?

None. Once I get used to a gun I put it in my rotation. What works simply works. I may add optics to a rifle, but for handguns other than changing grips very little gets altered.

Some people in after me own heart. Current CCW is an FDE P-10C. Started back in the mid 80s with a Jennings J-22 in 22lr, moved to a Charter Arms Off Duty 38 snub, and worked my way up over the years. Better tech? In the case of the Jennings, absolutely. The others? Sometimes, especially in the case of the Astra A-80. Better working for me? Absolutely.
Of course the secondary CCW is also a P-10, S model. :cool:

On the other hand, guns that are "invalided" out aren't suddenly ineffective - I carried a Smith Model 10-8 38 Special recently, and didn't feel bad about it. There just are options that came available that worked better for me. A Borchardt will probably still kill you as dead as a Glock 19, but it's a wee bit awkward to carry. :D

Seriously what gun technology other than polymer frames is newer than 7 years old? I have a late pre-WWII Stevens shotgun with a factory plastic stock.

When I can buy a plasma rifle in the 40w range, I might have something to report back... :)

Tony

New fangled disrupters, whassa matter with a good old fashioned phaser!
You really want the plasma rifle for the "in atmosphere" fireball effect though!

Since one of the rifles I keep hoping to afford is a nice .577/450 Martini I think the "replace" is kind of a not-for-me activity.

Last edited:
I haven’t really replaced/upgraded any.

The newer stuff coming out, really has no appeal to me. In pistols, i like my old school steel and wood guns, like my hipower and 1911. I prefer exposed hammers, single action, and metal frames.

That's me. The new technology puts me off. If it has a rail I don't want it. If it's plastic I don't want it. If it has an internal hammer I don't want it. If it has a decocker I don't want it. If it's striker fired I don't want it.

If it's striker fired I don't want it.

Oh good! My Lugers are safe from you! :D

I don't see where plastic is an improvement or "technological upgrade". Do remember the people who are making them, and telling you that are SELLING A PRODUCT!!!

And remember, snake oil salesmen are still with us, they just sell other things these days. :D

Oh good! My Lugers are safe from you! :D

I don't see where plastic is an improvement or "technological upgrade". Do remember the people who are making them, and telling you that are SELLING A PRODUCT!!!

And remember, snake oil salesmen are still with us, they just sell other things these days. :D
Your Lugers are safe from a financial standpoint if nothing else.

Personally, I haven't seen anything created by modern technology that would induce me to replace any of my old technology wood and steel firearms, whether it's handguns or rifles we're talking about.

When a real working Lightsaber hits the market, I'll sell off my carry guns and just keep a couple plinkers for the range on those nostalgic days.

Lightsaber; I want three, a red, blue and green. Red for winter, green for spring, summer and fall and blue for nights out on the town and vacations. ;)

Game Changers, Fads and Gimmicks. A whole lot of fake internet scare tactics etc. Marketing is just getting more creative all the time. And the internet crowd buy's into all of it. Preach something over and over until it becomes the truth. Personally, I will stick with a single stack or revolver.

Replaced a G26 with the SIG P365
Replaced a Browning O/U with the Beretta DT-11 with removable trigger group
Replaced my Ruger MKII with a second S&W K-22 Masterpiece
(who says technology always has to go forward?)
Replaced my Mossberg 500 with a Ruger PCC in 9mm

Not that any of the replaced guns went away; they just don't get shot as much

I suppose you could call the S&W Shield a new tech gun but when I bought mine, it fit a niche in my collection that wasn't filled by any gun I already had. I was looking for something small and concealable and the Shield seemed to check all the boxes for me. Also the only other gun in that size I wanted cost about 2x as much.

Tony

Moved to stainless where feasible. Synthetic stocks, glass and Kevlar. But some classics just don’t translate well to modern materials.

Handgun technology hasn't really evolved at all in the last forty years or so, so this is kind of a moot question. ;)

Back