What does "Performance Center" indicate in the context of S&W?

No.

It's lighter. So it decreases (possible) reliability.

No. PC didn't mean hand fitting before. Think about volume of sales. So S&W was spending hours more on PC versions that are mostly cosmetic? I think not. If so, it was before these upgraded lighter rebound springs exist. I think Wolf sells two versions.

Yes. All PC have a different ribbed rebound spring that makes the trigger lighter.

No.

It's lighter. So it decreases (possible) reliability.

No. PC didn't mean hand fitting before. Think about volume of sales. So S&W was spending hours more on PC versions that are mostly cosmetic? I think not. If so, it was before these upgraded lighter rebound springs exist. I think Wolf sells two versions.

Yes. All PC have a different ribbed rebound spring that makes the trigger lighter.

Ah, you're talking about the hammer spring. They are usually called the hammer spring or mainspring.

'Rebound' usually refers to the trigger spring, also called the trigger spring.
https://www.gunsprings.com/SMITH & WESSON/K, L, & N FRAME/cID3/mID58/dID264

No mention of S&W changing either main or rebound springs in their literature. There is no reason why S&W would not mention it if it were the case.

S&W swapping out springs is conjecture.

No mention of S&W changing either main or rebound springs in their literature. There is no reason why S&W would not mention it if it were the case.

S&W swapping out springs is conjecture.

In some of their current production PC guns (example; https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/model-686?sku=11759) they had on their old website description (just a few months back) the guns had a 'bossed' mainspring. That's not very descriptive, but what they did was change the normal mainspring for a ribbed mainspring. I have one and it has a ribbed mainspring. I also have a relatively new standard model 67 (like the one at this link: https://www.shootingtimes.com/editorial/spring-rates-and-trigger-pull-weights/383919) and it has the typical flat mainspring.

My use of "every" might have been wrong on having a different spring, but you can see it's pretty normed across all PC revolvers that it's this spring giving the PC revolver trigger previously unmentioned. :)

In some of their current production PC guns (example; https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/model-686?sku=11759) they had on their old website description (just a few months back) the guns had a 'bossed' mainspring. That's not very descriptive, but what they did was change the normal mainspring for a ribbed mainspring. I have one and it has a ribbed mainspring. I also have a relatively new standard model 67 (like the one at this link: https://www.shootingtimes.com/editorial/spring-rates-and-trigger-pull-weights/383919) and it has the typical flat mainspring.

I'm not sure how you can present these two links as supporting the notion that PC guns have different spring rates.

The first link makes mention of a "tuned" action. It does not go into details as to whether the tuned action involves different spring rates. It may, but it's not mentioned.

The second article doesn't state PC guns have different spring rates either.

My use of "every" might have been wrong on having a different spring, but you can see it's pretty normed across all PC revolvers that it's this spring giving the PC revolver trigger previously unmentioned. :)

Your belief that trigger tuning = spring swap is incorrect, and it's causing you to make the assumption that PC revolvers have different springs. While PC revolvers may have different springs (which I doubt), your assumption that PC revolvers have different spring because their triggers are better is wrong.

I'm not sure how you can present these two links as supporting the notion that PC guns have different spring rates.

The first link makes mention of a "tuned" action. It does not go into details as to whether the tuned action involves different spring rates. It may, but it's not mentioned.

The second article doesn't state PC guns have different spring rates either.

I said nothing about different spring rates or trigger pull weights. I only mentioned different mainspring types.

Your belief that trigger tuning = spring swap is incorrect, and it's causing you to make the assumption that PC revolvers have different springs. While PC revolvers may have different springs (which I doubt), your assumption that PC revolvers have different spring because their triggers are better is wrong.

I just gave an example of a PC revolver that has a different mainspring than a non-PC revolver.

In case anyone is interested, my S&W PC 686 L-frame revolver (SKU # 11759) has a 3.75 pound single action trigger pull and a 10.75 pound double action trigger pull right out of the box.

My Model 67 (non-PC) has a 4.5 pound single action trigger pull and the double action trigger pull is 13.0 pounds right out of the box.

The double action on the PC gun is much smoother than it is on the non-PC gun.

I've got 3 PC guns. A 627 a 1911 and a 629 Stealth Hunter. All have very good triggers. I believe that no MIM parts are used in them either but I'm not sure and tolerances are closer on the revolvers. I'm not sure on the 1911. I also have a 625 that's not a PC but I sent it in for one of the packages where they did trigger work and changed out some parts and the trigger is better than what it was before but I still give a slight edge to the triggers on the PC. I've had the 627 and 1911 for several years but the 629 for only around a year and at least on mine I'd say the quality is the same.

Interesting question. When I purchased my 642, I was checking out all the models and saw a few from the "Performance Center". I also spent some time researching what this meant. What I believe is possible is, that any change from the standard model is "FROM" the performance center. And that could be any modification such as just a different grip or in one case the cylinder drilled for Moon clips. I am not sure to this day if they do any trigger jobs on all Performance Center Guns, or perhaps just do trigger jobs on select models?
Regardless, IMO the trigger of the 642 was not near as nice as the LCR trigger. So I did put in a After Market Spring Kit and it helped smooth it out. It was not expensive and very easy to install.

Last edited:
I don't believe the Performance Center actually exists anymore, in the form described in the January/February 2001 Handgunner magazine. I've owned several Performance Center guns built between the '90s and early 2000s. Not at all what the "PC" is building now. Now days, IMHO, "Performance Center" signifies guns with some non-standard feature/s, the formerly prestigious PC logo LASERed on the gun somewhere, and a higher MSRP.

BTW, if PC guns having a "bossed"/ribbed mainspring is a desirable thing, all you want are available from Wolff springs for a few bucks a piece. The Wolff Power Rib reduced power mainsprings and/or reduced power rebound springs will reduce trigger pull. Gosh, just like those swell "PC" guns;)

BTW, if PC guns having a "bossed"/ribbed mainspring is a desirable thing, all you want are available from Wolff springs for a few bucks a piece. The Wolff Power Rib reduced power mainsprings and/or reduced power rebound springs will reduce trigger pull. Gosh, just like those swell "PC" guns;)

Don't you just feel silly buying all those expensive PC guns when you could have bought a regular S&W and stuck a $15 Wolf mainspring in it and had the same? LOL. :D:p

Back