What does "Performance Center" indicate in the context of S&W?

PeteCress

Inactive
What does "Perfromance Center" indicate in the context of S&W?

e.g. "Smith & Wesson Model 686 Plus 357 Magnum Performance Center Revolver"

It means SW adds options or puts a little TLC into the product. For example, I own a SW Model 19 Carry Comp revolver with three-inch barrel. They ported the barrel, put on a tritium front sight, added a little nicer grip in addition to a set of rubber grips, and did an action job on it. The trigger pull is still a bit on the heavy side, but it is very smooth. https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/model-19-0?sku=12039

On the other hand, the SW Model 19 Classic has a 4.25 inch barrel, with the main addition being a polished bluing job. No mention of an action job, etc. (and its about $300 less than the Carry Comp). https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/model-19?sku=12040

Depending on the luck of the draw, I find there to be very little difference. I have had PC guns that needed an action job and stock guns that were great right out of the box.

For the PC, S&W gets more of your money.

Unless there is a configuration you are willing to pay more for that is not available otherwise, I find it best to buy a non-PC S&W and have the work done by a respected gunsmith, or if you are competent, yourself.

Would that imply that it is possible to order guns directly from Smith and Wesson?

No. You will have to go to a dealer.

However, you can send your Smith into the PC for them to do gunsmithing for you.

Depending on the luck of the draw, I find there to be very little difference. I have had PC guns that needed an action job and stock guns that were great right out of the box.

I have two P.C. hunting revolvers, a P.C. 629 and a P.C. XVR. Both have outstanding triggers and features that only come outta the P.C. shop. I don't believe all P.C. models have trigger work. Those that do generally state it in the description.

For the PC, S&W gets more of your money.

Unless there is a configuration you are willing to pay more for that is not available otherwise, I find it best to buy a non-PC S&W and have the work done by a respected gunsmith, or if you are competent, yourself.

Now you have the cost of paying a gunsmith and possibly shipping both ways.

What does "Performance Center" indicate in the context of S&W?
e.g. "Smith & Wesson Model 686 Plus 357 Magnum Performance Center Revolver"

It means some amount of QC was added before the gun left out the factory door. :rolleyes:

And you paid a premium for it to boot.:eek:

When first introduced the PC label meant a better gun. Lately I don't think it is any assurance of quality, just of a higher price. Smith ain't the company they used to be, even a few years ago.

YMMV,
Dave

I don't know.

My Performance Center 627 has the best double action trigger of any revolver I have shot.

It's much better than any standard S&W.

I like my 627 PC also. With the link provided by JC I found out the classic series is from the PC. My 2012 29-10 6 1/2" barrel is top notch. I also have a 586 classic from last year and a recent 29-10 4" Classic. The last two mentioned are very nice, my only complaint would be the double action trigger on both.

What does "Perfromance Center" indicate in the context of S&W?

e.g. "Smith & Wesson Model 686 Plus 357 Magnum Performance Center Revolver"

You get a gun manufactured with the amount of care and QA applied to it that S&W should be applying to all it's guns, but don't.

It used to mean something, now I do not know. I just recently purchased a "Performance Center" model 41 and have yet to enjoy it. It would not feed a variety of rounds. Seems that the pride of people working for such a fine establishment is lacking as is their quality control. I own several of their revolvers which work flawlessly and this is my first semi-auto I purchased from them, even though there were warnings on some gun forums about the newer 41's not being as good as the older models I still bought it. I am regretting my decision in buying the new model 41.

Back