What does it mean when someone says "The cylinder has been turned?"

My old a Ruger 45 Colt I bought new in 1972. Been fired thousands and thousands of times.
8a071f7d6e140a16dba9873e5641ebff.jpg

But then, I re-timed it when I did the action job, and all rounds fired since factory test firing have been black powder, which doesn't leave those permanent black rings on the chamber mouths.
The one thing I hate about the Rugers, their abysmal timing.

Yup, I shoot Black Powder through all my CAS guns. Never leaves carbon rings on the front of the cylinder like Smokeless does. But the timing of when the bolt rises has never bothered me.

I think that the 3 screw Rugers shouldn't have the lines. They time the same as a Colt. Aren't the Vaqueros set up to use a half cock to load/unload?

Regarding three Screw Rugers and turn lines, that is correct. Although the parts inside differ a bit from Colt parts, if one lowers the hammer from half cock a turn line will begin to form. That is what must have happened to the one in my photo with the prominent turn line.

Vaqueros, no. Both the "original model" Vaquero and the New Vaquero have a transfer bar and no half cock notch on the hammer. They are no different from any other New Model Blackhawk in that respect. Opening the loading gate pulls the bolt down allowing the cylinder to rotate. Some shooters in CAS do not like the transfer bar because it can break after the hammer strikes it thousands of times, so there are a few CAS gunsmiths who will remove the transfer bar, add a half cock notch to the hammer so it can be loaded like a Colt, and add some weld material to the hammer so it can reach the firing pin. There are also after market hammers and triggers with a half cock notch on them. Three of my Vaqueros have those hammers in them. But from the factory, no Vaquero has a half cock notch on the hammer.

Thanks, D.J., for the clarification. BTW, I like reading your very detailed posts (and the pics !!). Very informing and educational.

The only Ruger I own is an Old Army and I like it a lot!! (It'll probably end up a dedicated cartridge gun like the rest of my stuff !!)

I had heard of Vaqueros with a half cock and must have thought Ruger did it for the CASS folks.

Thanks,

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

Back