What does it mean when someone says "The cylinder has been turned?"

Big-Blue

I've been watching ads for a Colt Walker replica. I've come across a phrase I don't understand. What does it mean when a post says "The cylinder has been turned?"

Some people are real fussy about cylinders that have rotated within the
frame, ruining some real collector value with a valuable gun. When cylinders
are rotated, a line will develop between each cylinder-stop notch.

My Ruger has been turned thousands of times. If you know how to treat them
you won't get lines. This one was new when I got it. Never turned except by me

f8629ff24c70c7e15dcced715189c0e1.jpg

You wont see a well used new model Ruger with a cylinder that pristine. The biggest blunder most people make is letting the hammer down from half cock. That's just asking for a turn line.

What does it mean when a post says "The cylinder has been turned?"
It's supposed to mean the gun is new but has been dry fired, which marks the cylinder

If it's going to be a shooter it's meaningless

If it's going to be a museum piece, it's a bad thing

I believe it means that it has been cycled. A turned cylinder doesn't mean it has a line, just that it has been moved since new from the factory. A scratch around a cylinder from mishandling or a screw (from the trigger gaurd or combo spring) is called a turn line.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

If the bolt comes up too soon it will drag on the cylinder

Maybe, but if the bolt is rising so soon as to make a full drag line from stop to stop all around the cylinder, then there's a problem... The only guns that I have with drag lines were my own fault.

You should ask the seller what they mean.

To me, it means that there is wear on the cylinder from turning. You can get a drag line from the bolt on the outside of the cylinder, and you will almost certainly get peening of the bolt pockets from the bolt as it drops into the pockets to lock up the cylinder.

Steve

S & Ws are notorious for a turn line - if they are used, they'll show it.

I always get a chuckle out of someone advertising a "pristine revolver in original box with all the paperwork - cylinder unturned!" Yea right. Give me a break. That's like saying "never fired" and the forgetting about the revolver being test fired at the factory. (I'm talking cartridge revolvers here). An "unturned cylinder" is a fallacy - they are checked at the factory and certainly checked for lock-up.

Kind of like dressing a pig up in a prom dress and taking it to the dance - when you drop off at night back at the farm, you're still kissing a pig good night. :D

I always have just smiled when I'm at a gun show and someone tells me that a revolver has never been shot and the cylinder never turned . . they either are living in their own little world or are representing the handgun as something without the proof or provenance to prove it.

It depends a lot on the gun, whether it will necessarily get a turn ring.
Smith & Wesson DA revolvers are pictured in their catalog with turn rings, as any time the cylinder turns, it's being rubbed. You WILL get a turn ring if the cylinder rotates.
A well-timed SA should not mark the cylinder if the gun is properly timed, and if the handler keeps the cylinder properly aligned during any and all handling.
If you load the gun, slap the gate closed and cock the hammer, the cylinder will probably show a mark, as the cylinder won't be perfectly aligned between chambers as it would be if cocked from hammer-down.

Maybe, but if the bolt is rising so soon as to make a full drag line from stop to stop all around the cylinder, then there's a problem... The only guns that I have with drag lines were my own fault.
That's exactly what I said

Many guns have that "problem" since it's only cosmetic and not worth the trouble to repair

How the heck ya spose ta shoot it if ya can't turn the cylinder? [emoji2] If you half cock the gun, go to full cock, then let the hammer down. Half cock, full cock, no cock. In that order only.

If you load the gun, slap the gate closed and cock the hammer, the cylinder will probably show a mark, as the cylinder won't be perfectly aligned between chambers as it would be if cocked from hammer-down.

No because the bolt is only up at two times. When the hammer is down and when its up. If you lower the hammer from half cock then the bolt comes up against the cylinder and if it turns it will leave a mark. If you cock the hammer and then let it down the bolt comes up in the notch like its supposed to.

Interesting. So it basically means there is a scratch line between the cylinders from where the hand (I think its called) pushes the cylinder along.

Doesn't sound like a reason not to get the gun if I'm looking for a shooter. Kinda like an "idiot scratch" on a 1911.

If you load the gun, close the gate and then thumb back to full cock, the bolt wont be touching the cylinder untill it drops in it's norm. spot ( in the approach about a bolts width from the locking notch). That's how you do it. Then you lower the hammer down to just past half cock and then release the trigger and the hammer will come to rest in the safety notch (old school) or full rest on newer transfer bar type actions.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

Dang Hawg, I type slow!!

Some folks can manage to operate a SAA or clone without leaving any drag mark, and some guns can be tuned so they leave little sign of "turning." But a gun like an S&W DA is designed to leave a mark and the only people who worry about it are the folks who worry that the tread on their car tires gets dirty.

To a collector, a "turned" cylinder (even on an S&W) means the gun is not new and that matters to some collectors. But going to extreme measures, like inserting a thin piece of brass to prevent turn marks on a using gun are a bit silly. No collector is going to take the lack of turn marks to mean the gun is new when there are a dozen other indications that it is not. To most folks who use their guns, it makes no difference as long as the turn marks don't indicate something seriously wrong with the gun.

Jim

Back