What do you think is going to be Ruger's next gun?

Deer Slayer?

I'm sure a few of the forum members recall Ruger's 44 mag carbine. Handy little woods rifle in a semi-auto format.

I would love to see a similar carbine made to handle the Remington .357 Maximum round.

What I would like released:

LCRx 3" .357Mag
GP-100 .44Magnum 5-rd.
American Rifle Scout in .308

What we'll get:

Another TALO exclusive of a gun nobody asked for.....

Sorta new: 9 mm all steel 1911 full sized or commander sized or both.

It's a serious hole in Ruger's lineup of 1911s; just about everyone else has
an all-steel 9 mm.

I love Obambulate's idea of an LSR (Light Service Revolver) with exposed hammers for a DA/SA trigger. I'd buy one in .22, .327, and .45 Colt/.45 ACP.

But Ed and seeker two are right, we'll probably be stuck with a new Talo exclusive gun or another 9mm 1911 that's all steel because it a 1911 isn't all steel, it may as well be a toy :rolleyes:

A mini that uses AR mags and has a full length rail...
HAHHAHAH.

I just hope they occasionally throw out runs of #1s in 45-70 or 357 mag until I get my hands on one.

They really could use a lever gun in their line-up.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the SR22 get an update.

It was designed to compete with the Walther P22, but the P22 doesn't seem to be relevant any more, so they might as well. And they can finally fix that darn backwards safety.

I'd expect styling to be brought in line with the American series and LCP II. And striker fired, of course. Hammer fired DA/SA is rather unfashionable these days. Maybe market it as a trainer.

There isn't an LC380s yet.

It looks like the 22/45 family has been sneakily discontinued. They were always much cheaper than their MK brethren. I wonder if we will see a MK4 version of them.

Would a double stack Ruger 1911 be successful?

I wonder about the lifespan of the Hawkeye/77 series bolt action rifles in the face of the severely economical American rifles. The American rifle series has really been a screaming success.

It looks like the 22/45 family has been sneakily discontinued. They were always much cheaper than their MK brethren. I wonder if we will see a MK4 version of them.
The 22/45 was announced early in the 22 tactical/trainer rage. It doesn't match up with any centerfire pistol. I wonder how the model has been holding in sales.

I am sure they wont do it, if only because I want one.
A 77/327 mag would get ordered before it got off the line.
But I have been waiting since 08 and nothing yet.

Ruger is the only real manufacturer that has been supporting the .327 cartridge, so I wouldn't doubt it if there are plans for a .327 rifle, possibly even their first lever action.

If they did they would get some more of my money.

The Lever gun is the one I want. So for sure they would come out with the 77 in 327 mag 1st.
I would then buy it...

Then 6 months latter they would come out with the Lever gun. Just so they could tag me twice.
They would too..:rolleyes:

I have always had a love-hate attitude about Ruger guns. I have loved the guns that they made that were copies (even with some Ruger features from the originals), like their single actions, M77 (mauser style bolt action), and the .223, 3.62x39, and .44 Carbines...those that were "inspired" by the M14 and .30 Carbine. Also, their version of the 1911's. However, when they go nuts and try to invent a completely original thing...like those faulty .44 Carbines that could fire before lock-up, their various models of auto pistols, etc. I have no use for them at all...butt ugly!
I will add to the list of likes, the Ruger #1's, and #3's...there were basically copies of the Farquharson's after all.
In short, my message to Ruger is: Stop trying to design guns...just do what you have been doing right from the start, take an existing design and make it your own...I can live with a few non-original features.
Well, I liked the first .22 autos they made, but when one looks at a Luger, Nambu, and Lahti, one may conclude that their .22 autos were not their own unique design either.
Also frustrating is when they tried to "improve" on what they had copied...like the change from the three-screw single-actions to those lousy transfer-bar abominations. And, their change to the Mark II M77's with their god-awful triggers. They seem to just not be able to leave well-enough alone. Like I said...love-hate.

Last edited:
Single shot shotgun based on the #1 action. Maybe then Ruger could make a shotgun that would actually work...
Or they could just copy an already successful and popular shotgun...patents run out after twenty years, I believe. As I pointed out, Ruger creations compared to copied guns do not work very well. In short, Ruger is a whole better copier that they are inventors...John Browning they are not. How about a copy of the old Browning Superposed that I wanted so badly when I was a kid?

patents run out after twenty years
There aren't a lot of good more than 20 year old designs that lend themselves to CNC processes at a budget price point.

I believe many of those "improvements" were compromises with their legal department.

There aren't a lot of good more than 20 year old designs that lend themselves to CNC processes at a budget price point.
Nonsense. Ruger utilized Investment Casting and modern machining to make Single Action Revolvers, 1911's, and what was essentially a Mauser bolt action...all after the original patents had long run out. Also, my first M77 was way cheaper than its Winchester M70 and Remington 700 counterparts. So, not only did an old design (expired patent), lend itself to modern practices, it produced them cheaper.

I believe many of those "improvements" were compromises with their legal department.
And some were not...like the coil mainspring in their single-action revolvers and the integral (instead of seperate piece, pinned on), safety spring indent tunnel on their 1911's.

Back