What do you think about the shape of the US economy?

In the past 12 months, my personal economic situation has ...

• Gotten worse

Votes: 50 51.0%
  • Improved

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • Has not changed

Votes: 31 31.6%

• Total voters
benign.neglect

you still don't know what corporate boards if any they may serve on, nor how much personal assests they have invested in the markets, or to what groups they may or may not be beholden.

Nor do you. But that doesn't stop you from insinuating that you do.

Its three people anyway, not the many you mentioned earlier.

It doesn't matter how many I list, you'll still whine about them being "poor references".

Not trying to be argumentative here, just pointing out the reality.

On the contrary, all you're doing is being argumentative. You have offered no counter-argument, nor have you even made a statement about what your position is. Reality? Hardly......

The reality is that there is no consensus as to whether we are in a recession or not. Fairly simple concept, actually.

The reality is that there is no consensus as to whether we are in a recession or not.

So you have changed your mind. You started off saying there were many economists who said we were not in a recession. Your "many" was reduced to three, and then we discover that we don't know enough about them to know whether or not they are biased. Now you are saying there is no concensus.

Personally I do not think we are in a recession. At least not according to traditional definitions. However, I would agree with you that there is no concensus.

Just watched local 6 oclock news. Apparently the working people aren`t only people complaining of gas prices. Gas prices starting to have negative impact on daily operations of city`s across country. Service`s in some are being cut. Columbus,Ohio`s city police limited to 100rds of practice ammo per month. Daily fuel operating cost is eating up alot of tax base in alot of towns causing, in some smaller towns, safety risks. Don`t want to sound catty, but i don`t believe the answer is investing in oil companies.:rolleyes:

I'm about the same. I'm not thrilled with the price of gas but I'm not ready to give up my big, heavy, V-8 powered, rubber burning, gas guzzlers for underpowered sardine cans.

I'm not ready to give up my big, heavy, V-8 powered, rubber burning, gas guzzlers

Thats how most people feel. They like their big vehicles enough to endure high gas prices. As long as they are willing to pay the price for gas, then the price is not too high.

When the price of gas gets too high, we will all be riding in sardine cans.

I voted for Improved. Improved a lot if that had been an option, and I was doing well 2, 3, 4+ years ago.

I'd retire, but I'm only 57 and still enjoy the majority of my job duties. OTOH, some days I think 34 years is enough.

The economy is still better than some of the times I've seen in years past. Stop me, or I'll tell the story again about buying my house in 1980 and feeling lucky about getting a 12.75% 30-year mortgage.

Doesn't anybody remember the OPEC gas embargo that started in '73 and led to rationing? And the gas price spike of '81?

800px-Oil_Prices_1861_2007.svg.png

John

Nice bash, but if you'll do a little research you'll find many economists not connected with Pres. Bush who do not believe we are in a recession.

You're right. Many economists are saying depression. :p

I'm about the same. I'm not thrilled with the price of gas but I'm not ready to give up my big, heavy, V-8 powered, rubber burning, gas guzzlers for underpowered sardine cans.

Why? In World War II, Americans took pride in making sacrifices for our country. What benefit do you get from driving a "big rubber burning gas guzzler"? If your job required you to do heavy hauling then there is a point, but you say "rubber burning", telling me that you use your vehicle for speed (illegal). I thought along similar lines for the longest time, but it doesn't make any sense.

I've cut back on a lot of things. Money is not a concern but it does'nt help to be prepared. I work out at home now so that saves money on gym dues. The Corvette stays home when possible and the CBR1000 takes me to work. I have not shot in a long time. I recently bought a Desert Eagle and a AR15 and I do not have time to handload so they are collecting dust in the gun safe.:( I have a couple cases stockpiled for a SHTF senario but I just cant see myself spending $8.99 per box of ammo for target practice.

The people, NOT THE GOVERNMENT, need to start making changes.

10.4, it's amusing to see people argue if we're in a recession or not, it's great to be optimist but to believe our future will improve unless we the consumer/ taxpayer take charge is a joke,our corporate controlled government will continue to suck the life blood from each person until you can give no more perhaps then we will be motivated, to save, conserve, and stop buying junk made for .50 cents in China and sold for $20 here.

The government says that we are not technically in a recession. Warren Buffet, the most successful investor in the US, says, yes, we are in a recession.
Ask almost any economist and they will tell you the economy is receding but we are not in a recession. Ask them if the economy is receding, otherwise they will dodge it. Technically a recession is two consecutive quarters where the economy recedes. There was some expectation that Q4 '07 numbers would be restated down once the actual figures came in, but it ended up just being very close. When the numbers come out in June BLS will probably indicate the economy receded in Q1 of '08 and Q2 of '08, so we will be in a recession. Of course they will backdate it and so "OMG we have been in a recession since January."

More political nonsense.

Corporate government needs to be taken back by the people. We are made promises by politicians running for office. Promises he or she will do or not if elected. Most can`t and don`t do what they say when elected. There ought to be laws that when a candidate runs his campaign, basing and promising the American people things and doesn`t full-fill promises, criminal charges can be put against them. Doesn`t seem to be the agenda of todays politicians to do whats best for everybody, just do whats best for your party,campaign contributors or personnal gains. If you don`t believe thats happening, more than likely you can look right in your own state and find examples of what I`m saying. For instance, whats the average yearly salary of an attorney? Alot higher than say the mayor of a town. How many mayors,were,are attorneys before mayors? Why would you give a much higher income up as an attorney for what a mayor makes? The answers to these questions where told to me in a disscussion I had with one of the most prominent atty`s in state of Ohio. Politics today is a sickening business and don`t believe everything you read in paper. The political back-scratching that goes on is scary,usually getting worse and more costly the higher up in government you go. Guess at who`s expense?

shortwave...

I agree, today's America is obscene, and that's just putting it mildly. Thing is though, things will change one way or another. I hear more and more people just dissenting with how things are going.

Epyon

When your neighbor loses his job it's a recession . When you lose your job it becomes a depression . Then when your wife loses her job it's a panic .

Well I know a few Mayors and the answer isn't that complicated
1. Most attorneys turned mayor have already made so much money they can't count it and are about to retire, or they are terrible attorneys. You would be surprised how many bad attorneys there are who can't make a living b/c they can't win a case. That is why fraudulently ripping off insurance companies for less than the cost of litigation is getting so popular.
2. Most cities offer retirement and health care benefits to mayors, even if they only serve one or two terms. Nothing amazing there, US congress is the same.
Great way to bow out of the private sector is to hit the public sector for a few years and claim all sorts of benefits.

Of course there is some corruption, but unless you are going to give the death penalty to cabinet level officials who accept bribes, like China, you are going to have that.
http://civilitas.wordpress.com/2007/07/11/former-chinese-fda-minister-executed/

Back