What Do You Take To Investigate "That Sound"?

What do you first grab to check out "That Sound"?

• Semi Auto Pistol

Votes: 100 61.0%
  • Revolver

Votes: 26 15.9%
  • Hunting Shotgun

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • Hunting Rifle

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • HD Shotgun

Votes: 27 16.5%
  • HD Rifle

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Ball Bat

Votes: 2 1.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I bring a few things:

1. Ruger GP100 4" Stainless .357 Mag
2. A full speedloader
3. Bowning Xenon flashlight
4. Cell Phone
4. My 90lb. furry four-legged friend.

G19 and a maglite...Make sure the family is where they are supposed to be..I do not open the door/go outside.

Not in the poll, but...

Sword & a pistol ( shortsword & my little .22RF CCW slipped into the pocket of my robe ) = Don't use a maglight, got motion detectors poin ting inward from the 'Perimeter' which would backlight anything outside, inside I want something without a safety or a need to load, and the ability to skewer/slash/chop quietly. Fireing a gun in the burbs is a last resort since the neighbors & their #@^&* celphones tend to complicate matters:mad:
OK if there's a justifiable shoot inside the house, but not for poping a racoon on the back patio:p

Blammer:
shortsword & my little .22RF CCW slipped into the pocket of my robe ) = Don't use a maglight

How do you think that would do against a home invader with a 12ga loaded with 00 Buck? :D

Toss-up

Either full sized 1911 loaded with 230gr Starfire or DW .44 mag with 8" heavy bbl loaded with 44 special 200 gr lead wadcutters. Very familiar with both, the DW can do double duty as a very heavy billett. No flashlight usually as unoccupied rooms are lit with soft flurescent bulbs while I am concealed in the darkness.

Last edited:
Generally for me it is the Glock 22 with light attached. The only time I did get alerted by my attack dog, I happened to have been doing a grip change on the AR, so I used that to check outside. I found someone smashing the patio door in back of my neighbor's house. From a position of concealment, I phoned the local PD who were there in short-order and did their business. Perp never saw me, or heard me, but did see and ignore the barking of my dog...

...gratuitous pic of my vicious attack dog...
sweet dexter 003.jpg

Last edited:
A 40 pistol and a Surefire light ! But what noise ?? Ones I remember ? Early morning knock on the door -a bear ! Thump on the roof - racoon fell from a tree. Blood curdling scream which woke me up and scared me half to death - apparently a rabbit as he died in the talons of an owl ! City sounds are in my past .:D

Good thread!

I picked HD shotgun, not sure what HD means but I am half asleep right now any way.
I would pick my pistol griped 870 with mag extension and a flash light attached for several reasons.
1 makes a good club
2 makes a BIG hole
3 makes a great sound when you pump one into the chamber and every one knows that sound.
4 looking into a 12 gage hole will scare any one
5 you don’t have to be that accurate.

Usually the dogs are there and they tend to warn at the first sound. I have the trusty shotgun or rifle. This house is built like a bunker and theres not much chance of penetrating the walls, though the shotgun is perferrable because of windows.

The only time I had a problem is when someone was peering in the window and I caught someone trying to break into my mother in law's house. Usually though most of our problems come from animals, so outside I perfer a rifle for better penetration.

HD shotty

My HD shotty is not very tacti-"cool", but it gets the job done.

Ithaca 37 12 ga.
Standard (5rd) capacity tube with 20" barrel.
Cheap slip-on shell holder with a foam cheek pad underneath.

It's ugly, but it works.

My 18" Winchester Defender 12g.

My county sherfiff told me that I'd have to handle whatever happens at my house for 17-22 minutes average, and even longer in the winter. My dog will alert me, but she would'nt bite a biscuit..unless its a upland bird. One thing I do have that I highly recommend is one of these http://www.dakotaalert.com/catalog/ It lets me know if someone/something is wandering around.

Ozzieman said:
5 you don’t have to be that accurate.

What type of HD shotshells do you use which are capable of creating an inescapable cone-of-death at typical indoor distances? :p

The base of the cone isn't very big. You still have to aim a shotgun. It is easier to aim than a pistol.

Mine's the 1300 Defender - I love that rotary bolt.

-tINY

my XD-40

I take the Springfield XD with me. I use it instead of my revolver because I don't miss with it. Can't say the same for the revolver, at least not within the tolerances I'd want for using it in my home.

Springmom

10-shot 9mm auto with 2 extra mags + 100k candlepower light. SKS if it's outside. Since we rent we are unable to have a dog, unfortunately.

Pistols seem to get a lot of votes; I wonder how many of us carry a handgun on our person while inside our house.

Look for poll in General Discussion Forum. . . .

Back