What Do You Take To Investigate "That Sound"?

What do you first grab to check out "That Sound"?

• Semi Auto Pistol

Votes: 100 61.0%
  • Revolver

Votes: 26 15.9%
  • Hunting Shotgun

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • Hunting Rifle

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • HD Shotgun

Votes: 27 16.5%
  • HD Rifle

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Ball Bat

Votes: 2 1.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The dog is probably a better force multiplier than a gun. Better eyes, better ears, & better reflexes. Given the choice between a 1911 with a tac rail light & a laser, or a Ruger Single Six & Pounce, I'd go with the dog and the 22.

The XD-45 is what stays on the nightstand, so it goes with me if I need something. I do need to add a Surefire to it soon, that would make it much better for investigating things that go bump in the night.

I take my Beretta 96 and my PDA. I can turn on the lights in my place with my PDA...so that nixes the flashlight and it's smaller.

You guys should get a kick out of this...

I keep a carbon-steel, live katana in the window sill above my bed, and I train regularly at opening eyes, snatching sword, sitting up, drawing, and clearing the entire room. I can do it in less than a second...

The gun safe is on the opposite side of the room, so the next thing to do is to jam the door (chair nearby). Hit the gun safe (everything up to this point can be done silently), open it, and take out the Springfield 1911-A1 Mil Spec, along with two Wilson Combat 8-round single stack magazines. (Upon seeing weapon, have Chuck-Norris-based martial arts fantasy..., keep going...) *click* ... *cha-chunk!* Unjam door. Let's go look around...

I take a picture of my girlfriend's ugly annoying friends and that will usually scare anyone or anything away. Seriously, I take my heavy bladed machete. I'm not allowed to keep ammo in my room so taking a firearm is out of the question.

I generally don't worry too much--there's only one way in or out of my place. If the stairs alone don't take care of 'em, I have a choice of weaponry that spans 800 years to finish them off with. :D Viking bearded axe would handle things well, but the clean-up could be scary. It's a little tight for the nodachi or naginata, on of the rapiers would be good, but the claymores, lochabers, and halbergs are out... LOL

Seriously though... S&W .40VE with Glazer SS's and maglite. Shotguns are too unmanagable for tight quarters and have too much penetration.

First I grab my Steyr M9A1 sporting Ranger 127gr. +P+ and an M6X. I figure I could comfortably shoot that while laying down and it would be better for checking things out. If I'm sure something is admist and I have time, I go for my Mossberg 590 by the door with 4 rounds of #1 buck in the tube and 4 Brenneke slugs in the speed feed.

Not to be outdone

+1 for the alert k9.

The Glock .40 and the tactical light and cell phone will be the first line of defense for investigating benign noises...

For any certain threats I'll barricade with the 12 gauge 870 and/or the HD semi auto rifle.

If I can't figure out what gun to chose, his reactions will let me know.

Here's what he does to ducks...

Last edited:
There are a few options laying around, mostly 1911's. To be honest however, I generally let George and Martha, my English mastiff's, handle the problem.
They arent the most aggressive dogs, however they will keep you [intruder] in one spot while making quite a vocal ruckus. George is about 180, and Martha 145....both still puppies @ about 9-18mo.

To be honest however, I generally let George and Martha, my English mastiff's, handle the problem.
Hmmm.... my 206 pound English Mastiff tells me to go sic 'em while she tries to hide under the bed! (if only she could fit!) :o :D

attachment.php

(this was her at 10 months, she's almost 3 now. She's the one on the right, by the way :D )

(Cannot post pictures... anyone else get REALLY frustrated with posting pictures on TFL??? I always have problems and the pics are ALWAYS to big!)
Only temporary Lead. We've been having problems with the uploads ever since the server crash, but our resident guru Tyme is working on it.

Edit: 8:50 EDT, try it again, Lead; it should be fixed now.

I think this question/poll can be divided into what type of noise your hear. As several posters have mentioned: if it's just an odd sound or "bump" in the night that is probably nothing, I take my handgun; but if I'm sure someone's breaking in the house/invading, I take SG/rifle, et. al. Also, it's different for those who may have kids to protect, and those who only have to protect the lives of those in their bedroom.

For me, if it's just that odd bump, I take my Glock 17 w/ attached M3 tac light. However, if it's the noise of breaking glass, or an attempt to batter my front door in, I have to grab the M4 and protect the entry to the stairs that lead upstairs to our children. If I was alone in my room, I would call 911 and bunker down with my M4 and Mossberg 590A1. If you have the budget, making a room that you and/or family members can get to a hardened saferoom, it surely is better than trying to clear your house alone or intervene alone. Like I said, I have to go out of my room; but if I didn't, I'd hunker down after calling 911 on my landline or cell (you should have both on your nightstand because it is easy for a determined burglar/invader to disable your landline). I know some out there want to go protect their property, but in my opinion it's not worth getting shot over; plus, that's what insurance is for.

Finally, I also love my German Sheppard who can patrol inside and out via his doggie door.

First item: Ryobi 18V flashlight--that sucker is brighter than a car headlight and would blind anyone.

Second item--this is recent for me, and only if my dogs are alerting me that I need it: Ruger 357 mag in single action with the hammer down. I'd rather risk my life leaving the hammer down, forcing that extra split second to be sure of what I'm shooting. Probably wouldn't even go for that if someone hadn't threatened me...

I grab my home defense weapon Hard Chromed Colt 1911 Series 70 MKIV Govenment with Laser sight loaded alternately with Golden Sabers and FMJ. My Mag lite and my cell phone.

My wife will grab her 22 caliber 9 shot Taurus Model 94 with a 4" barrel

CWO4USCGRET--

Pounce is indeed a handsome animal, and would scare the bejeebers out of me. Given that big German Shepherd, I think a .22 is all you would need for backup.

def & Capt Good to see other Mastiff owners around. They're not too common around these parts. By the way beautiful dog you got there Capt, love the pic. I do see a bit of family resemblance though.:D

On a side note, I don't worry too much about my Bully cowering under the bed. She once jumped slap thru a double pane window (my bedroom/3am). Scared the crap out of me. The next day I found half a pair of blue jeans hanging on the backyard fence.

Sig P226 with 15 rounds of Federal Hydra-Shoks and my SureFire light. My wife stays in the bedroom with my P32 back-up gun. Same rig for inside or outside. I can't exactly shoulder my AK and hold a flashlight at the same time without hanging all kinds of tactical crap on the gun so it's me and my trusty SIG everywhere I have to go. If I'm headed outside though, I bring an extra mag and the AK is ready in the house...just in case.

Back