What do you pack for backpacking?

M-7

The M-7 has been made by a few companies in assorted releases. They have been pretty universally unreliable. Great idea -- poor civilian execution. I will say that the latest, the Henry, has actually gotten some relatively not-unfavorable reviews. I am not recommending it -- anyone who knows such arms for as long as I have would, could, never go out on that limb -- but they may not be as awful as previous makes.

For my daily walks I carry a compact 9mm (an SR9c) along with a folding knife and a 2 oz pepper spray. For rugged hiking/camping, when the law allows I will add a mid-size 4", .357 mag (a GP 100) on my hip with the 9mm in my pack as a back-up. If I were going to brown bear country I would add a long gun-probably a shotgun.

Out here lots of different lands to cross, BLM, state and fed park and Indian reservation all flow together. So I usually carry my everyday 9mm carry when I can legally and three extra mag tucked away. As for where I can't carry due to regulation I wonder if the time came that I really needed it, would it be better to ask forgiveness or do without?

For hiking and fishing here in the Wyoming mountains I carry a 7-shot 4" S&W 686 Plus .357 Mag with 158gr LSWC loaded to 1200fps. Most of my fishing buddies are packing a .44 Mag.

Interestingly, it seems weight is not an issue at all for most of you. Even the ammo for a 9mm or .357 does add to weight, let alone a full size semi or large frame revolver...

Interestingly, it seems weight is not an issue at all for most of you. Even the ammo for a 9mm or .357 does add to weight, let alone a full size semi or large frame revolver...

The fact that we can and do carry is why its the normal gun we choose. If its needed your going to want to have the gun you carry and shoot the most with you. Pack more than you need..... than need what you didnt pack. I may never need to shoot 60 rounds but if injuries or illness and dead cellphone happen its nice to have signal round available in addition to critter rounds.

Versatility is what I look for and the Governor is king of versatility.

Governnet.jpg

WHEW....Deaf, that's one beautiful "Tanker" rig you've posted.. El Paso Saddlery does nice work. What's the slot under the "US" for? Best Regards, Rod

Rod,

That is so when the cylinder bulges a bit the leather can expand above the slot but not below. Can't see it from the photo, but I just added a Tyler-T to the hogleg.

attachment.php

You can see the slot here and when you put the gun in it the holster expands above the slot to fit the cylinder width.

Deaf

Attachments

• 629-1.jpg
    629-1.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 35,855
Deaf, we have have remarkably similiar taste in revolvers. A pre lock 629 in an El Paso Austin rig. Gift from a dear friend. My name, rank, badge number and dept initials....and, it too now sports a Tyler T grip.

1-4.jpg

4-2.jpg

Honestly though, thats more my BBQ rig, the vast majority of the time, camping, hiking or just wandering around, I carry a 3" S&W 65 with 158 Remington HP.

When mountain biking or hiking in my area, just a S&W fixed blade double edge knife. In unfamiliar with possible bears, my full-size .45 1911.

Sgt127,

It ain't no BBQ rig to me.

And life is short, embrace it, live it, and don't worry about your BBQ.

My older woods gun is a 3 inch Ruger GP-100.

attachment.php

And you know... we do have similar taste! I also have a 3 inch 'Ladysmith' 65!

Deaf

For what it's worth, the AR-7 was designed by Armalite as a civilian rifle. It is similiar in concept to the AR-5 which was officially adopted by the USAF as the MA-1, but never put in production. The AR-5/MA-1 was a bolt action 22 Hornet.
Some of the earlier AR-7s wern't particularly reliable unless tweeked. This might include judicious minor bending of the magazine feed lips, slight chamfering of the chamber mouth and/or lubrication.
I've also heard the Henry units were more reliable than some of the earlier ones.

I backpack in non-bear country and I carry a S&W .357 Model 65. 3" with fixed sights. 158 grain JHP's.

I'm more worried about the two legged critters than much of anything else.

At night when I'm in my tent it is in its holster, next to my Strealight in the corner of the tent by my head.

I probably have 300+ nights tent camping and have never had to use it but I can tell you I feel better having it there.

Great flashlight is a must also.

When I go hiking and backpacking I carry the same gun I normally carry - Ruger LC9. Bears are not a concern where I camp and hike, and anything else can be handled with +P 9mm. Also, it's lightweight and easy to carry.

When I go hiking I just carry my EDC Glock 19 with 124gr +P cor-bon's. That gives me 30 rounds. When I add camping into the mix I add my 12ga with a mix of #6 shot, 00 buck and Federal LE slugs.

Back