What do you pack for backpacking?

In continental US where there are no Grizzly ...a 4" .357 mag is plenty of gun ( like a S&W model 19 or 66)..in a medium sized frame...

In Northern states where they are Grizzly...or in Alaska...its a different matter .... ( .44 Mag is ok / but I'd rather have a 12ga short barreled shotgun with slugs)....

In Northern states where they are Grizzly...or in Alaska...its a different matter .... ( .44 Mag is ok / but I'd rather have a 12ga short barreled shotgun with slugs)....

Agreed. I love my big .44 above but a 12 gauge with Brenneke 'Black Magic' slugs would be my pick. Sure I'd take my hogleg but the shottie would stay near me.

Deaf

When actually backpacking as opposed to hiking,I generally have a .22 pistol of one flavor or another with me. Sometimes a Glock 23. When hiking or scouting an area I will have the Glock as a minimum or perhaps my Ruger SBH.

When I hike I like to go as light weight as possible.
My Ruger LCP in my pocket is just about perfect.

The only creatures I have ever had a problem with when hiking was hornets, wasps, and yellow jackets, and other people!

Henry USAF .22lr rifle, Glock 23 .40S&W.....

I'd look at Henry's versatile .22LR survival rifle. It's compact & designed for the USAF SERE(survival escape resistance evade).
For a pistol, I'd look at a Glock gen 04 model 22 or 23 in 40. You can convert it to .357sig 9mm or with a kit(slide barrel magazines etc) to .22LR. You can also add a white light or laser aimer for low light/night time situations.
Glocks are robust & well engineered. You can put custom or after market parts on them with little effort.
You can also buy a 22/23 series then get a sub compact 27 pistol as a BUG or back up.
It would be smaller but could take a lot of the same magazines & parts.
Clyde
www.gunsamerica.com www.Glock.com
www.surefire.com www.glockstore.com www.customizeyourglock.com
www.glockworx.com

holy crap, I supposed there would be a lot of lightweight, super-small stuff coming up when it's about hiking, but seemingly you US guys don't like doing things by halves :D

A touring company of you guys is better armed than a whole battalion of the Austrian Army. I like that :)

And yes, the Henry rifle would be tempting, alas it is not allowed in this country, because it is SUCH a vicious weapon....

Out of curiosity, what is allowed in your country? I know the walking stick was mentioned along with a hunting knife.

Maybe your question should not of even been on a firearm forum. :confused:

My favorite is a 3inch sp101 in 357. Yes there are other guns I own I could carry. The sp wins most of the time based on size and weight.

Sometimes a small 22 revolver gets tucked in for plinking.

Out of curiosity, what is allowed in your country?

actually, no carrying out of your own property unless you are a licensed hunter, even then normally only rifles, no handguns. That's why I ask in an US forum when I want to know INTERSTING stuff about other people's firearm habits outdoors ;)

3" Ruger SP101 .357 - compact, stainless, handles everything from snake loads, .38 wadcutters for small game or plinking, .357 for everything else.

If in bear country my G-20 loaded with 200 gr hardcast @1300 fps. If no large predators either my G-19 or G-26.

The USAF Survival rifle has been problematic over it's lifespan. Perhaps Henry has worked out some of the bugs, but I have yet to hear that is the case. Nice concept, but a poor performer.

On the other hand, the USAF M6 combo gun is dead reliable and offers a nice rifle/shotgun combination. Mine is a older Springfield version in .22/.410. I think I would like a .22 Mag version a bit more, but no complaints. The issue version is 22 Hornet over .410 with 14 inch barrels.

When we go hiking in NC mountains I carry a leatherman and a light walking stick. Where we hike every oz is criticality considered. Water is heavy and it comes before guns. By the time a hike is finished I don't care if something eats me.

I'm mostly PA and the general northeast so I carry the same thing I carry most times and places - M49 S&W. First is shot, next two JHP and the last two full wadcutters. Fits nice in a variety of pockets and comes out easy when/if needed.

Last little hike I took the family on we encountered an angry momma cow. I have been around cattle a couple times in my life and this was the first time I was worried. I felt a little unsure with my XD9, spare mag & TCP BUG ... I really don't know....

After that I have been thinking about getting a .357 mag or larger for hikes. I don't want to ever question if I brought enough gun again. I think while I am saving funds for my revolver I think I will get some bear spray for the next hike.

I usually carry a Ruger Mk. II and occasionally a Marlin model 60.

I've been camping and hiking for many years and never found the need for more.

Henry USAF rifle; .22LR ....

Im not much for long-guns or rifles in general but Id buy the Henry camo .22LR AR-7 rifle for bug-outs or massive storm recovery events(Katrina Super-Storm Sandy etc).
Id like to know what went wrong with the program?
Did the weapon fail in SERE/military T&Es?
It seems like a sound concept for aircrews or downed pilots.

WHEW....Deaf, that's one beautiful "Tanker" rig you've posted.. El Paso Saddlery does nice work. What's the slot under the "US" for? Best Regards, Rod

Back