What constitutes 'stockpiling' of ammo?

Someone mentioned a dessicant. Is it a good idea to include a dessicant package in the metal ammo can?

i personally use rubbermaid containers...probably get a few points on my "mancard" for that huh? :o

im not aware of any reason it wouldnt be desirable in ammo cans as well.

still absorbs moisture right?...

"The ammo stockpiling rumor is bunk- pure bunk in most places. There are a few ordinances about the quantity of powder that you can posess but that's about it."

Sheesh, I get nervous when I drop below around 1K rounds. I'm not thinking about WWIII, it's just that I like to shoot! I only have 2lbs of powder here for reloading at the moment.

When I was younger and still living with my parents, I used to buy powder in 8lb canisters. My dad used to make me store it out in the garage (~100ft away from the house). At the same time, he'd store gasoline for the lawnmower in an old milk jug. Which do you think was more dangerous? LOL!!

We all know the famous old saying - you can never be too rich, be too good looking, be too slim, or have too much ammunition.

:D

Caca De Toro?

I was told by an aquaintance years ago that he had ordered 3000 rnds of .45 acp. A month later an ATF agent showed up, and wanted to see where he stored it, and make a record of it. The guy wasn't exactly a reliable source of truth, so I'm pretty sure it's BS, but he insisted anything over 1000 rnds per caliber would cause a visit from an agent, unless you registered a set of blueprints and marked the location. It sounds like something some idiot buearucrat would try to enforce. However, I read an article by Massad Ayoob where he mentioned keeping several thousand round himself. I doubt it makes a difference he's a P.O.

KarrensMan69:

Your "friend" would likely have been well advised to say nothing to this ATF type, other than a polite goodbye.

I was watching 'Cops' once and they were inside some guys house who had stopped a home invader with his gun. The cops held the guy's gun up to the camera (it was tactical-looking semi-auto pistol with a laser and flashlight). The cop held it up and said, "Who needs something like this?"

LEO's are out of line when they start asking "who need this?" or "you dont need that" keep walkin pal...its not for you to decide.......and if it is....well then...things will get interesting.

amazing...some of these guys have zero human world history knowledge.......oh lets start with Germany 1930's-ish. Freedom isnt given by Govt boys:rolleyes:

I stand with Rudyard Kipling on this issue.

"A man cannot have enough red wine, books or ammunition."

wow great quote......the finer things in life!!

Three Issues

1) Where does this cop get off asking you how much ammo you have? My response would have been a polite "none of your business." 20 rounds or 20,000: he has no right to know and it's not polite to ask. Perhaps he was asking not as a cop but as curious fellow shooter. Either way, the answer is the same.

2) Why did you feel compelled to answer the question and then immediately justify yourself (i.e. no, no, it's a hobby . . . really, I'm not doing anything you might dissaprove of officer etc.)? Cops (the bad ones anyway) count on people not asserting their rights. Most people have sadly been programmed to submit to law enforcement whether they've done anything wrong or not. This attitude emboldens bad cops and erodes all of our rights. Far better to politely stand your ground than give up even a symbolic amount of your civil rights. Cops are on a need to know basis and they rarely need to know anything.

3) I know of no federal law that places restrictions on the amount of ammunition one can possess (assuming one is legally permitted to possess ammo in the first place). Sounds like this guy was either messing with you or he needs to go back to cop school.

I was told by an aquaintance years ago that he had ordered 3000 rnds of .45 acp. A month later an ATF agent showed up, and wanted to see where he stored it, and make a record of it. The guy wasn't exactly a reliable source of truth, so I'm pretty sure it's BS, but he insisted anything over 1000 rnds per caliber would cause a visit from an agent, unless you registered a set of blueprints and marked the location.

Yeah, that is bovine scat. Many people on this board possess thousands of rounds of ammunition stored in closets, garages, basements, etc. and they don't get ATF visitors asking to see where it's stored. I bet that acquintance liked to brag about other stuff too.

2) Why did you feel compelled to answer the question and then immediately justify yourself (i.e. no, no, it's a hobby . . . really, I'm not doing anything you might dissaprove of officer etc.)? Cops (the bad ones anyway) count on people not asserting their rights. Most people have sadly been programmed to submit to law enforcement whether they've done anything wrong or not. This attitude emboldens bad cops and erodes all of our rights. Far better to politely stand your ground than give up even a symbolic amount of your civil rights. Cops are on a need to know basis and they rarely need to know anything.

Couldnt agree more.....(and this is not me being anti LEO......its pro liberty)

Couldnt agree more.....(and this is not me being anti LEO......its pro liberty)

I agree. It is not anti-LEO to assert your civil rights. Good LEOs respect the Constitution and would find it fundamentally abhorrent to their oath to violate or even to diminish the rights of those with whom the deal. However, not all LEOs are good . . . just like not all doctors are good . . . not all lawyers are good etc. Often times, we don't know which kind of LEO we're dealing with when the time comes to assert our rights.

The Constitution was written to prevent the government from infringing upon the fundamental liberties of Americans. LEOs represent the government. Therefore, there is nothing wrong with asserting one's rights against a LEO. Any LEO who dissagrees, IMHO, is not fit to wear the badge.

A polite assetion of one's civil rights (e.g. "officer I respect what your doing, but I don't have to answer any of your questions and I hope you will respect my right to decline comment") is always appropriate. In fact, it's down right American.

The problem with that is that doctors who aren't concerned with their patients' well being by giving them effective treatment for what ails them lose business, get sued, and occasionally lose their license. Anti 2A LEO's get no such punishment and often become CLEO's. There is no excusing that and it should not be tolerated.

Not likely to be true; for perspective, that's just one brick of Federal .22LR (550). The LEO was probably joking around?

I have lots of loaded ammo in a lot of different calibers. I also have about 1500 rounds of .308, 2500 of .223 and who knows how many .45 ACPs and 9mm.

Thats nothing compared to the amount of primers and smokeless powder I have on hand.

Back