What constitutes 'stockpiling' of ammo?

the powder limit only applies to black powder and only in certain highly populated towns cause its an explosive and smokeless is an accelerant but is not as suitable for a bomb and it will just burn hot if the house caught fire as opposed to the black powder that will explode even in its can if it gets hot enough.the only ammo limit i ever heard of was at gun shows.

It depends on who you are talking with. To some anti-gunners anything over 1 box of ammo is stockpiling. For me there is no set amount. Up until a couple weeks ago I had 1000 rounds of 9MM, and several hundred rounds for each of my other calibers. Am I stockpiling, maybe!!!:D:D:D

Capt_Vin:

I think that you might well have had an encounter with the "us v.them" syndrome". Seems that this "illness" sooner or later comes to effect or infect some of our public servants, police officers being, in my view, examples thereof.

"What constitutes 'stockpiling' of ammo?"

I've heard folks define it as having more ammo on hand thant you'd use in a session, a month, a year, or an indifinite period of time. They're all right to their own way of thinking, I guess.

I place it as having enough for reasonable ue somewhere between a year and an indefinite period of time.

The cop held it up and said, "Who needs something like this?"
If I had been the guy, I'd have said, "Apparently, I do!" I've never seen a Cops episode that had a pro-gun slant to it; I doubt the media would allow it. That's why I don't watch it anymore. Idiots.

Funny, I added another 5 bricks to my .22 hoard today, and that puts me up to 60 boxes or so. No to mention all the centerfire and shotguns loads I have. Likely approaching 50,000 altogther...............ck

being that you reload he may have been 'fishing' or maybe I'm being too mistrustful. however there IS a Federal law prohibiting you (if you are unlicensed) from SELLING remanufactured or handloaded ammo. and as stated before a prohibition on transporting powder over a certain poundage without being contained in a suitable container.

Massachusetts limits one to 10,000 centerfire and 10,000 rimfire without the need for a special license. Though if you obtain a special haz-mat license through your local FD, than one can own in excess of those numbers. But then you open yourself to inspections by local authorities, and state officials plus the need to properly store all the ammo.

Seriously, what is a good amount of ammunition to have on hand?

I own rimfire and center fire rifles and psitols. I guess my question is if I set a stockpile amount is it necessary to stockpile for all of them or just for the 22 and a select few of the centerfires?

i try to stock up as much as possible(as i can afford) on everything i have...worst case is i probably save some money in the long run.

although i do limit the number of calibers i own.

i cant say how much is enough,because i havent gotten there yet.

Re "stockpiling" of ammunition, I haven't the proverbial clue re what would constitute the afore mentioned "stockpile".

Having said that, the following comes to mind. It we allow the meaning of the term to be decided by "pubic servants" or bureaucrats, in other words, by "government", we are in a world of trouble.

Okay here was my plan.

1) Buy a 500+ brick of 22 ammo every pay period until I have 5000 rounds on hand.

2) Alternate every other pay period until I have a minimum of 1000 rounds for all of my centerfire guns. This so far would be 4 calibers.

3) Once my minimums are met just keep adding to the stockpile.

Now a couple of questions.

What is the shelf life of 22 rimfire and centerfire ammo?
What is the preferred method of storage? Something like military ammo cans?

Thanks for all of your help I am a bit of a novice in this thought process but I like the idea of having a sufficient supply of ammunition on hand.

What is the shelf life of 22 rimfire and centerfire ammo?
What is the preferred method of storage? Something like military ammo cans?

Keep the ammo dry and it will last longer than you. Most keep stored ammo in military ammo cans. :)

Re "shelf life" of ammunition.

Keep it cool and dry. Avoid, as much as is possible, large temperature swings.

Having done the above mentioned, "shelf life" will be quite long, possibly longer than your life,. though in any case, quite long.

Okay a couple more questions, well, at least for now anyways.

Should I rotate stock or is it better to just pack the stuff in a metal ammo box and leave it closed to keep the moisture out? Someone mentioned a dessicant. Is it a good idea to include a dessicant package in the metal ammo can?

I apologize if these seem like dumb questions but as a novice I want to learn from those that have already done this and not make stupid mistakes that waste money.

Not ccounting the 22 LR, 22 shorts, 22 Mag, 22-250, 223, 38Spcl, 357 Mag, 44 Spcl, 44 Mag, 9mm, 40 S&W, 10 mm, 30-30, .308, and 30-06 - I find having 350 rounds of 45 ACP ammo in my ammo cabinet makes me very nervous. ;)

I did the only thing that I've found to relieve that nervous feeling - I ordered another 500 rounds that will probably arrive tomorrow. It doesn't keep here however - every week a couple of boxes seem to disappear. Fortunately, I keep a number of loaded magazines and a spare Colt government Model loaded in my range bag to cover any sudden trips to the range.

Having done the above mentioned, "shelf life" will be quite long, possibly longer than your life,.

I dunno - the shelf life of my ammo is measured in months at most - some in weeks.

:D

Back