What can you do if a gunsmith willfully destroyed your gun?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plus I never heard of a Wiley Clapp needing refinishing....

The WC LC I have, and or seen, all possess a cheap black oxide finish, that don't even look decent oiled up, let alone does it offer a jot of protection to the substrate, the very first order of business within my circle is a complete refinish of such a gun, especially if you intend to carry them as apparently they were intended to be!

Why would a new poster come here to complain about his 'smith?? :confused: We can't fix it for you. Maybe a lawyer can, if you want to spend the bux.

If you tell your sad tale on Go Fund Me, maybe you can get enough to pay for that lawyer.

Well my take away COULD be that even if I'm dealing with someone I trust it might be wise to take some 'before' pictures before I send a gun off to be worked on.

Glad things worked out for you.
Good luck.

Badfinger said:
The WC LC I have, and or seen, all possess a cheap black oxide finish, that don't even look decent oiled up, let alone does it offer a jot of protection to the substrate, the very first order of business within my circle is a complete refinish of such a gun, especially if you intend to carry them as apparently they were intended to be!
The slides may be a black oxide finish, but the aluminum receivers aren't -- they can't be.

This matter has been resolved, the company in question both agreed to replace the gun, and refund all of my costs(which have been quite considerable).

Good to hear the issue may be resolved, If the company does what it says that's honorable on their part and all that should be expected.

The slides may be a black oxide finish, but the aluminum receivers aren't -- they can't be.

Why would a new poster come here to complain about his 'smith?

Type III hard coat, and this is where the problem arose, the ceracoat requires only that the frame be lightly blasted, just to rough up this hard coat so as to offer a better bonding of the two, though bonding really isn't the word I'm looking for. The frame and its ceracoat finish were perfect, it was never the issue, the issue was the slide, specifically around the area of the ejection port, the ceracoat simply refused to adhere there consistently.

What happened from there is that the tech had to strip the type III hard coat on the frame in order to plate it, here he destroyed it by submerging it to long in the acid which after removing the ceracoat and type III hard coat, ate away at the substrate of the frame, deeply pitting and cratering it everywhere!

As for the guy's in this thread taking issue with me being new here, and apparently wanting me to shut up my mouth for some mysterious reason, where else would one go with such an experience? By the time I posted this last night I was just short of certain that I had been royally taken to the cleaners, I've been quite clear about that, the tech took deliberate actions on the frame intended to portray me as the culprit, and the most sensible place to go from there was right here, the gun forum, where you can hope that someone else may have some past experience from which you can proceed upon, and to potentially warn other unsuspecting folks if need be, frankly speaking its a no-brainer! ;)

Isn't it interesting when several TFL members expect something as simple to do as pictures posted to give some slight credability to such a bizarre story, everything suddenly gets taken care of.
Where's the ROTFL button? :D:D:D

I think Badfinger probably has a real problem, but it is obvious to me that he just wants to sue somebody for something, and details like proof are not going to get in the way. If he actually plans to file a lawsuit that will cost ten times the value of the gun, and that he will probably lose, I say that is his problem.

Except that stuff like this raises the costs of gunsmithing for all of us, as competent smiths have to cover the costs of legal representation to defend themselves against the whining of the "he hurted my widdle gun" babies.

Jim

a firm flatly muck up a simple refinishing job
I don't think removing hard anodizing and replating is all that simple. Cerakoting is simple. I don't think I would ever remove hard anodize to chrome plate. If I wasn't happy with hard anodize or a cosmetic over-finish like cerakote, I wouldn't buy something with an aluminum frame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back