What caliber is your concealed carry weapon(s)?

What is your concealed carry caliber?

• 9mm

Votes: 109 37.7%
  • .40 S&W

Votes: 21 7.3%
  • .45 ACP

Votes: 46 15.9%
  • .45 GAP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • .380 ACP

Votes: 32 11.1%
  • .38 Special

Votes: 48 16.6%
  • 10mm

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • .357 mag

Votes: 10 3.5%
  • .32 ACP

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • .25 ACP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 16 5.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GunLuvr01

I carry a 9mm CZ P09, I know its a large gun but I'm not a small guy either. I chose 9mm because defensive ammo has proven to be very effective plus minimal recoil allows you to get back on target faster. What caliber is your concealed carry handgun? Why did you choose that caliber?

Last edited:
G19 w/Trijicons and standard Remington JHP's... usually 2 o'oclock IWB.

Chose that gun particularly for it's size. I'm 6'4" and the G17 was just a little big for IWB, so I got a G19. No manual safety, nothing to snag, huge aftermarket, reliability, etc... I've been considering "stepping up" to a G23 (.40cal), but I figure if I wanted a bit more power, I could always carry some +P's. Beside, I can reload 9mm for about $1.25 a mag, so an afternoons worth of practice ammo costs less than a 12pk.

Ive evolved thru all the popular calibers.

Been carrying since about 1987. 38spl, then into a 1911 (45). The age of the "wonder nine" didnt grab my fancy.

Years later, as an Instructor at one of the big schools, i saw the Glock perform well in the hands of someone that knew how to manage its unusual ( at the time) trigger

Still thinking bigger was better, but not having hsnds big enough to use a G21, i got a G23. Carried that for years

A number of years ago my job had me forced into carrying a 9mm Glock. With good ammo that gun did all that could be asked of a handgun. Life experiences has shown me the need for every round possible in the gun. So my current carry caliber is a 9mm Glock19 stoked with a premium HP design

High cap, low recoil, good performance.... Thats all you can ask of ANY defensive handgun

All the calibers perform so closely that "stopping power" is darn near equal. So again, carry what ever fits your lifestyle. I chose a dbl stack just to maximize capacity.

If i go someplace that requires me to dress in a way that the G19 wont conceal, then a single stack 9mm (Kahr) fills the duty. For MAXIMUM concealment (at the gym) i use a Keltech 380 and accept the performance limits of that round

I've always used 9mm... It works and you can get a bunch of ammo into one.

If I lived in a place that had limits on mag cap then I'd go for something biggie maybe.
Many people talk of the mythical "knock down" power...but I haven't witnessed any mammal or man getting knocked down by a firearm that could be reasonably fired by a single person... It is just not that instant.
I have witnessed hydrostatic shock... Which is the fastest way to incapacitate a mammal... Increase the velocity of the projectile, increase the chance of hydrostatic shock
Ive never been in law enforcement, but I was in the army for many years and I've hunted lots of pigs... Pigs are a great ballistic test medium...
I've shot enough pigs with 9mm to satisfy me as to its effectiveness.

Recent convert to .45 ACP

I've carried a XD40sc for a few years and really liked it. I've been shooting .40S&W for many years, but No more.

I recently switched to a commander sized 1911. A primary reason for my switch is a pending move to a location that doesn't allow high capacity firearms.

Mine is whatever one I happen to pick up as I leave the house. I have pistols from .380 through .45's sitting in holsters ready to go and grab whatever as I leave. They all work like they should and are always loaded.

One is not enough

Many of us use more than one and we simply picked the one we had first. I could have said 9 and 380 but we only had one choice.

I said other since you don't have 44 special. I change off depending on what I am doing. From a Charter Bull dog to a Glock 26

380 acp, 38 Spcl, 9MM Luger, 40 S&W, 44 Spcl.
But I voted 380 because my Elsie Pea is always in my pocket no matter what else is in my waistband, or coat pocket.

I voted 380 because that's what I carry most. Conceals easy in a wallet holster. When I can dress around the gun I carry a Kahr CW40.

9mm

I don't technically carry, yet. I'll be getting my CCW next month. I do have my carry gun, though, and it is a PT111 9mm. Soon, I'll have a P-07, as well - also in 9mm. I just like the simplicity of choosing one caliber and running with it, and 9mm is definitely the most cost effective for someone who has not yet gotten into reloading (notice the "yet" in that statement...)

I should not have voted since I open carry. But since I did vote I open carry a Glock 30SF. Fell in love with the .45 round.

Back