What caliber for...

They probably hadn't eaten in over a day. They would have killed my dog and had it with ketchup, but they didn't have ketchup.

I used to semi-pro bass fish all over the Commonwealth of Virginia for years. From the Potomac River, to Back Bay, to Smith Mountain Lake. I saw so few cottonmouths that I was surprised to see them. About the only place I remember seeing them was on the Chickhominy River, which is supposed to be about their northern limit. Back Bay is supposed to have a bunch of them, but I didn't see any the time I fished a "Mr. Bass" tournament down there. It was sort of early in the year maybe (May) and a strong cold front came through the night before the tournament started (naturally). Maybe that's why.

I used to keep a Red Ryder BB gun in the rod locker of my bass boat for those days when my kids went with me. I found I had to stop them from shooting at snakes because that BB gun would kill them just as dead as a 12 gauge. One hit in the head and they'd roll over, and float on the tide with their heads underwater. They were DEAD. So no more shooting at snakes.

I also found out that it's not a good idea to hit a snake with a fishing rod. You'll likely break the rod, and annoy the snake. The more expensive the rod the more likely you'll break it. Use a boat paddle if you gotta hit one. Narrow side. Flat side just annoys the snake.

I've never heard of an Alligator in Virginia, except a buddy had one turn up in his pond near Richmond. His baby ducks kept disappearing. Turned out to be a Cayman, a South American gator/crock that some idiot released. A 30/06 turned it into fertilizer (Hey, it was what he had).

Bears I got no real experience with. The only ones I've ever seen were posing for pictures on the Blue Ridge Parkway. They looked about as dangerous as a black lab and not much bigger.

I don't want to offend anyone but Asheville is one of the most liberal Cities on the East Coast. Don't believe me just go down town and spend some time. Get away from there in some of the outlying counties and you have a paradise.
Well, my uncle and his family are in Ashville. So are the musical venues where I'll have a chance to see his wife and her musical partners play.

Okay, my suggestion is a revolver chambered in .38 or .357 mag.

Yes, snake shot patterns expand very quickly, making it easier to hit a snake head from a distance than a .22lr round. The longest shot with my Ruger SP-101 I ever took on a snake was about 12 ft. Pattern was probably about 2 ft. Maybe more.

Snakes are pretty tough, but also pretty fragile in the head. Lots of small light bones in there. If even one piece of shot hits the average snake in the head, it's usually curtains for the snake.

Thank you, very useful information. So, snake shot does make a difference in being able to hit the small target of a snake head, and even a large snake's head is delicate enough for snake shot to kill it. As much as I'd love an excuse to buy a new gun, I'm also trying to pay off some debt before I buy a house (hopefully I'll finally be ready next summer, probably not for 2 more years) so if I can use what I have (the 442) that may be my best bet. Especially since I "need" to get a 3" Kimber K6 when they become available (supposedly they would be released this summer, I'm not sure if they have yet or not).

I also found out that it's not a good idea to hit a snake with a fishing rod. You'll likely break the rod, and annoy the snake. The more expensive the rod the more likely you'll break it. Use a boat paddle if you gotta hit one. Narrow side. Flat side just annoys the snake.
I don't have any expensive rods, but I'll remember that :D . Narrow side of the kayak paddle, I'll definitely keep that in mind.

I've never heard of an Alligator in Virginia
The northernmost reach of their range is supposed to be the NC side of The Great Dismal Swamp. Though, there is nothing magical about the border so I don't see why they wouldn't be on the VA side as well (and nearby waters) and there have been a handful of reports of sightings. They are definitely found in some regions of NC.

There may be some changes in my plans.

There was a short in the wiring harness (car side) that controls the lights, turn signals, and brakes for my camper. I was selling it anyway, so I don't know that I want to spend the money on rewiring my car's trailer harness until I buy another one (after I buy a house). Depending upon the weather, I may bring a tent, or I may have to stay in a hotel room. Since I am trying to save money (despite looking for an excuse to buy a new gun) I may have to limit my trip to just a couple days if I go with a hotel room, in which case I may not bring the kayak afterall. If I don't kayak, and don't camp, I'll probably bring my S&W M&P40c as my carry gun since I'll only have to worry about possibly human attackers. Though, my uncle and his family are very liberal and hate guns, so I may go with my SIG P290RS (or even a J-frame) to go as small and concealable as possible since it wouldn't be fun if they catch sight of the gun or it prints enough for them to put it together that I am carrying a gun.

I believe Ruger LCR's are polymer framed. Those can come in .22LR. I'd use that with the .22 shotshells that CCI makes

Any gun or no gun is sufficient. If you are kayaking, you always have the paddle. You can also just slide a staff into the yak and have it available should you need to wack something. Dry bag for stuff you absolutely don't want to get wet. Tie the bag to your yak so if you flip it does not float away or sink on you. I keep a small back up paddle in my yak and it's short, so easy to wack on something with it.

22 shot is pretty ineffective. But I really like 22 revolvers and would carry one with HV HP's. You don't need to carry the gun when you're around your uncle and family. So, I would take whatever you shoot the best and not worry about it.

No Water Moccasins around the Smoky Mt NP or Asheville.

A 317 , with the 3 inch barrel and adjustable sights and high velocity hollow points will serve 99.9% of your needs (the other 0.1% being that bear ).
On a belt holster you will not know the gun is there...it carries very easily.
Gary

Back