What caliber does your local police department generally use?

What handgun caliber does your local police department generally use?

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • 9mm

Votes: 23 15.6%

Votes: 2 1.4%

Votes: 92 62.6%
  • .45 Colt

• .45 ACP

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • .44 Magnum

• Other (please specify)

Votes: 7 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
local City PD carries Sig p220 in 45 ACP, and from some pics I've seen, also use ar-15's in 9mm. Sheriff's department carries Glock 22 in .40, state police I believe are S&W DA/SA autos in .45

Looking at the poll, I'm really surprised that .357 only has one response. It's beginning to be a popular round.

NCSHP carries .357 Sig. I have been told that's because of better penetration of auto glass..

That may have been why they went to the .357 sig, but they keep it because of it's stoppage rate. I spoke with a regional 1stsgt and firearms trainer a few weeks ago and he said that they would likely never switch calibers because of the effectiveness of the round. I put the numbers he told me in the original post but decided to edit... let's just say stoppage rate I was told is extremely good.

The M&Ps that the NCSHP uses? Yeah... that's another story. They're not as proud of them and will likely make a platform change soon.

On another note... .40S&W is seriously winning by that large of a margin? Don't get me wrong, I like the round and I think it is about the perfect compromise between size (for magazine capacity) and performance, but I didn't think it would be that widely used.

police carry

I am not sure if they carry personally owned or issued but almost all carry a 40 a few carry 10 mm.I see more Springfields than Glocks though.

Move to 9mm

I recently attended a LE firearms instructor course and during the breaks several departments mentioned going to 9mms. They stated the main reason was that people of smaller size, female officers, and officers with little firearms experience shot higher qualification scores with the 9mm than the 40 during trials with multiple calibers. That would seem logical that a pistol with less recoil would perform better in accuracy for people who don't shoot a lot.

My father is a police officer ( not locally), has been for 23 years, when he first joined the department in the early 90's, the standard issue gear was West German Sig p226 in 9mm, and Beretta semi auto 12ga shotguns. About five years ago, they switched to gen 3 glock 22 and 23 in .40. He had told me earlier this year, the department was looking to upgrade to gen 4 glocks, and possibly go back to 9mm, well a month or so ago, they finally decided to stick with .40, but go to the gen 4 glocks. TH

My father is a police officer ( not locally), has been for 23 years, when he first joined the department in the early 90's, the standard issue gear was West German Sig p226 in 9mm, and Beretta semi auto 12ga shotguns. About five years ago, they switched to gen 3 glock 22 and 23 in .40. He had told me earlier this year, the department was looking to upgrade to gen 4 glocks, and possibly go back to 9mm, well a month or so ago, they finally decided to stick with .40, but go to the gen 4 glocks, but here's the twist: guys and gals in uniform are going to be issued glock 35 ( the competition oriented model) and plainclothes guys will carry the glock 23. The idea behind the 35 is, as a whole, the departments qualification scores are less-than great, so by issuing the 35 with it's longer sight radius, they believe accuracy will improve. Again, back when he first joined, and for several years after, they issued ruger mini 14 as patrol rifles, then several years back, they upgraded to bushmaster ar-15s.

Last edited:
The bulk of the officers with my department carry the GLOCK 21 (45ACP). A handful of us (to include me) carry the GLOCK 19 (9mm). The sheriff department carries the GLOCK 17 (9mm). Our neighboring city carries the GLOCK 21.

As of early 2013, Portland PD were using Glock 17, 19, and 26 (UC) with Speer Gold Dot 9mm +P 124gr.

OSP, Glock 22

Most surrounding PDs in the Portland metro area, Glock 22, I believe.

Washington SP are using M&P 40, iirc.

I know a DEA field agent who has been carrying his personal Ruger SR9c for a couple years. He hates the issued G22 & G23. Gave me grief when I switched from my SR9c to a Glock.

My agency is a pick your own (within policy guidelines). I am an instructor so see them all. We are about 70% 40, 20% 9 and 10% 45. A city in our county (50) officers recently transitioned from 40 to 45 department wide. The next largest city near by (100+) officers issues 9's.

My local police department and all of the neighboring towns carry Glocks in .40 S&W flavoring. I have seen a few GLock 22s and 23s in holsters. The county, Cook County Sheriffs Department in Illinois, use Glock 22s and 23s as well. The city I spend most of my youth in, Chicago, allows guns in 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP. I believe now they require striker fired Glocks in 9mm for the probationary officer and they are also allowing M&Ps to be carried. Older officers were carrying a variety of DAO handguns in the same calibers.

Jacksonville Sheriff's Office: .40 Glock 22.
Florida Highway Patrol: .45 GAP Glock 37.
FL Fish & Wildlife Commission: .45 ACP Glock 21.

City- 9mm
County- .45 Of course lately I have notice the plain clothes guys carrying what appears to be a sub compact Glock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back