What caliber does your local police department generally use?

What handgun caliber does your local police department generally use?

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • 9mm

Votes: 23 15.6%

Votes: 2 1.4%

Votes: 92 62.6%
  • .45 Colt

• .45 ACP

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • .44 Magnum

• Other (please specify)

Votes: 7 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cochise county Az sheriff standard issue 1911 .45ACP. Can carry other off of an approved list. I have seen a few revolvers. The past sheriff sometimes carried a Colt single action. New sheriff caries a 1911. They recently received a grant to buy 200 Glocks I think .40sw.

I just wonder who the person is who chose ".44 magnum". They must be mistaken, I don't know of ANY actual polic departments in the country who still mainly use .357 revolvers, much less .44 magnum guns! Whoever chose that, if you aren't trolling, care to elaborate on this?

Prior to 1994 our county PD officers purchased their own guns. Most anything was allowed of they could qualify with it. I know of at least 2 who carried 4" model 29's in 44 magnum. The BHP was pretty common among those not carrying S&W revolvers, mostly 66's, which more than 1/2 of the officers carried.

The city issued Smith 66's and officers carried a 38's loaded up to just under 357 specs. Things were PC even then.

In 1994 both the city and county started issuing guns. Glock 22's in the county. S&W 5906 in the city. The city has just retired those same guns purchased in 1994 and went to G17's.

Game wardens carried 686's as far back as I can remember until they changed to G-22's at about the same time.

Georgia state patrol has changed often. 686's replaced 66's right after they came out. They went to S&W 4506 for a while, then G-22 in the 90's. For a long time it seemed like every cop in Georgia was carrying G-22's. They changed to 45 GAP as soon as it came out. Not sure how well that is working out. I have friends in virtually every LE office locally, but my only GSP contacts are in South GA and I don't see them often to get their opinions.

Mix of 40S&W and 45acp, mostly 40S&W. Mass and NH State Police carry M&P 45acp. Several agencies in my area, including my own, use to carry 357 Sig but opted out due to ammo price.

Charlotte Police carry Smith .40 (at least last check they did). NCSHP carries .357 Sig. I have been told that's because of better penetration of auto glass..

Local PD here just switched over from the Beretta 92 to the Glock 17...It was met by critics with the usual concern about the Glock's "safety" or lack thereof but I digress...Nevertheless, all 9mm to be sure.

ISP and one local pd, Cairo, issue G22s. I have seen a few G23s as well. All other departments in the area, Pulaski and Alexander counties, are provide your own, with the majority carrying .40 S&W. There are a few 9mm and .45acp pistols in holsters, and all major players are represented, except Sig. My holster currently cradles an HK USP 40. :D

I am not sure if all states have this available, but here in Georgia, if your a police officer, fire or medic, you can go to the police glock distributor and get your pick of the standard 9-40-45 for 399$. even though the offer is on the table, I still haven't gotten a glock, maybe someday though

Local Pd mostly carries .40 caliber Glocks but the sergeant carries an M&P .45. Grafton County Sheriffs carry M&P .40s as standard issue. All squad cars I've seen have both a rifle and shotgun also.

My agency carries .45, as does the State Patrol. My agency has some off-duty guns that can be checked out chambered in .357SIG. Most agencies in Nebraska seem to carry .40.

I carry a 9mm off-duty.

City PD uses a .40 S&W Glock, I assume a G22 but I suppose it could be a G23 as I never really paid that close attention. Sheriff's Dept. uses 9mm Sigs, both 226 and 228 are authorized though one deputy told me they were pushing to switch to .357 Sig. Indiana State Police recently decided to switch from 9mm Glock 17's to .45 ACP Sig 227's.

As to the previous poster's disbelief that a cop in this day and age would carry a .44 Magnum, I could believe it if the officer was in a very rural jurisdiction where threats are just as likely, if not more likely, to be four-legged as two.

Many years back when I lived in Nevada, there was a Highway Patrolman who carried a .44 magnum. He was told that if he could qualify with it it he could carry it. here also used to be a motorcylce cop in San Francisco that worked the Fillmore distrct that packed a .44 magnum. Even made it into the San Francisco newspapers. Guess it was the same type deal, if he could qualify use it. I always wondered if Madame Mayor Feinstein made him quit carrying it? I moved out and never heard.
I think Tucson PG carries .40's of some kind, Sgeriffs I've seen had 1911's and the Game & Fish smokies had SIG 40's. I noticed them more working in the Hunter Ed program.
Paul B.

Local PD: Glock G22 .40 S&W 180gr Federal Hydra Shok
State Troopers: Glock G22 .40 S&W 180gr Winchester Ranger & 180gr Federal Hyrda Shok
USCG: SigSauer P229DAK .40 S&W 180gr Winchester Ranger

Hmm let me look in my holster. Oh it's a Glock 19 in 9mm.:D But a lot of our Deputies carry Sig's . But it has to be in 9mm for some reason no one can explain to me.:mad:

My agency carried P220s in .45 for 14 years until this year... now we have the P227 in .45, but 3 more rounds. Our sister city carries H&K45, the County I live in carries Glock 21s. I know of another agency up the road a bit that carries the P220 also. So with that being said... .45 is the preferred choice around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back