What caliber does your local police department generally use?

What handgun caliber does your local police department generally use?

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • 9mm

Votes: 23 15.6%

Votes: 2 1.4%

Votes: 92 62.6%
  • .45 Colt

• .45 ACP

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • .44 Magnum

• Other (please specify)

Votes: 7 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I took a citizens police academy a couple of years ago and I was surprised to learn that the patrol officers carry single-stack SIGs in .45 Auto.

They also carry AR-15 carbines in the patrol cars.

I knew a guy on the local PD in the early 2000s, who told me that officers carry personally owned weapons. (I'm guessing from an approved list.)

I've seen nothing since to make me doubt it. I see Glocks & 1911s, sometimes a S&W revolver.

Given that, I doubt there's any ammo standardization.

Local PD is .40 S&W Glock 22s and Glock 23s.

The Sheriff's Office is all personally owned guns, I haven't seen the entirety of the firearms policy, but they are gravitating toward bigger calibers. 9mm is still authorized, but most seem to be going to .40 S&W or .45 ACP.

Around Atlanta I believe most law enforcement personnel use the .40S&W but not 100% sure. I think the Georgia State Patrol uses the .45GAP but could be mistaken. Also, due to GLOCKs location in suburban Atlanta most departments choose that brand, but occasionally you’ll see a S&W. I can’t remember the last time I saw a revolver or 1911 on a LEO although you’ll occasionally see revolvers on security guards.

City PD Glock 17 in 9mm

County PD
Sheriff Glock 22 in 40 S&W
Game Wardens

Court house security Anything they want

GA State Patrol Glock 38 in 45 GAP

My local department allows a variety of makes, models, and calibers. It is officer choice so long as it is from the list. Officer provides own gun and is provided ammo by department. After X time on the force, officer is given some funds to offset the cost of the gun (used to be about the price of a Glock).

My local department allows a variety of makes, models, and calibers. It is officer choice so long as it is from the list. Officer provides own gun and is provided ammo by department. After X time on the force, officer is given some funds to offset the cost of the gun (used to be about the price of a Glock).

We have the exact same thing here.

My sister is a Police Officer in our small town (Pop. 1,800) and carries a Sig Sauer P229 .40 cal. They switched to those about six years back from .40 cal Glock's, either 22's or 23's, I'm not sure. She also carries a Mossberg 590A1 and a fully automatic M16A1 in her squad car.

I find it interesting that her department switched from $500 Glocks to $1100 Sigs. Especially since the town and the force is so damn small. I also got to shoot her M16 a few times so that was pretty awesome.

I voted .40, because that's what the city PD carries. Arkansas State Police (also headquartered here, so arguably "local.") carry .45 acp. I don't have any idea what county sheriff's deputies carry.

just prior to becoming retired my sgt. & I implimented prefered carry for our 55 man department.
We established standards such as minimum caliber, .380, maximum caliber .45 a.c.p. for autos, and .38 spl. / .357, for revovlers.
Max barrel legnth 6" and so forth.
We also set stadards for quality, no Rossi, F.I.E. etc.
The officer would purchase the weapon, demontate proficiency with it and could carry same on duty. We set standards for bug & of duty weapons & ammunition also.
Standard issue was the Smith M-66 4".
Many officers carry Kimber, Springfield & Glock. Many were content with the M66 issued revolver. Issue ammo for the M-66 was the .38 Spl. +P 125 grain
Reminton or Federal h.p.

County Shriff's deputies, 40 S&W Glocks, neighboring county (I'm virtually on the county line), 40 S&W Sigs. "Big city" 25 miles away, 9MM Beretta 92.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back