what caliber do you use, and what do bad guys use

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a retired Brit, who lived in England, Germany (National Service) Australia, Canada, and now, the Great Gunshine State Florida, I see no advantage to carry anything but the same pistol, always. And of course, in the same place, right hip.

In my case a Glock 19, 4th Gen. With a spare G17 magazine, a Surefire Light, all on the belt. TruGlo night sights, same pistol that I carry, I use in IDPA competition.

Having shot many thousands of rounds of 9mm, I settled on the Winchester 147g Non Plus P, Ranger. A very accurate, not too violent a Recoiling round.
That fits right into the FBI protocol of penetration, 10" to 14".

Where ever I am, with very few exceptions, I am accompanied by my lovely Wife of 21 years. Being an old fashioned Brit (See Monica) I see my job as a minder of this Lady.

Be well.

Everything that I have is in 9mm, and it's funny how many people that talk about it being a weak, ineffective caliber aren't willing to stand in front of one and get shot with it.
I normally stop reading the views of people that think that, as it tells me they haven't a clue what they are talking about. Its only in America that .45 is a popular self defense round, the rest of the world 9mm is the most popular. I think going for .45 is sacrificing capacity lower recoil faster follow up shots for the .45 myth. PS I do have a 1911 .45 but more as a historic firearm.

I am a great believer that larger caliber will guarantee to stop bad guys specially with a couple of well place shots into the sternum or just go for the head shot and end the fight quicker.
No handgun calibre is guaranteed to stop a bad guy.

Last edited:
An ASTRA A-60 in 380

There are many reasons I dislike the condition 3 carry imposed by the law over here, but one of the biggest is that I cannot justify buying the A60 or Constables I have seen on sale here.

The condition 3 rule does not apply to revolvers. As such, I choose a wheel-gun as my carry gun: cousin to the A60 above: the Astra 680, 6-shot .38Spl snub.

All round a very nice gun to hold, shoot, own. I don't carry all the time, but when I do, it is comfortable.

I am a great believer that larger caliber will guarantee to stop bad guys specially with a couple of well place shots into the sternum or just go for the head shot and end the fight quicker.

Let's hope the assailant agrees to stand still and not shoot back whilst you line up for the latter!! It can be done, I'm sure, but I suspect it is pretty hard, hence why most trainings I've ever read about, including countless debates on here advocate aiming for CoM.

Last edited:
Mostly 7.65 French Longue, but sometimes .30 Mauser, or .30 Luger. Some of my rifles are .30 caliber so...........

"A lot of the gang bangers are using revolvers so they don't leave casings as evidence..."

Has any crime been solved from casing evidence?

I did google research a year or so ago and could only find ONE(1) case that was aided by casing evidence. Two shootings were linked by casing data. However, at the time I searched, ZERO crimes were solved from the "fired case included with new gun data".

Either my google-fu is weak or the idiot politicians passed an ineffectual law....

It seems that bad guys like .38 special, with the mouse calibers ... .25 and .32 ... beating out .357 mags, and other calibers...

The guns listed in your attachment strike me as those that those likely to be available through theft at the time.

^^^that makes sense^^^ as Hi-Point are kind of the "RG's" of the current semi auto world...
I also did not buy the "revolvers so no casings" comment. Sorry but the Homies aren't that smart to think that far. Now we all realize the cases stay with you and not all over the street, them? Not so much.

.38 Spl good enough for me

ten years ago I didn't think it was good enough. Current +P loadings have allowed me to change my opinion of the viability of the cartridge.

I carry a 9 everyday at work
when I get home, I carry 357, loaded with .38 and the last round being a 357

took me a while to find a 38 loading that worked(expanded properly), found the hornaday FTXs and am very happy. went through hydra-shocks, gold-dots and Winchester, none expanded from my snubby

Either my google-fu is weak or the idiot politicians passed an ineffectual law....
I don't know about the effect of the "fired case" laws, but I'd suspect the lack of results in your search just proves the data doesn't get posted to the internet.

Any hard evidence can help with convictions or lead to arrests in unsolved crimes. It just might not be reported in a manner that Google can find

What's in my safe?

I have revolvers chambered for:

.22 LR
.32 S&W
.32 S&W Long
.38 Special
.357 Mag.
.41 Mag.
.44 Special
.45 Long Colt
.45 ACP

I have semi-autos chambered for:

.22 LR
.32 ACP
9mm Luger
9mm Makarov
.45 ACP

My primary carry gun is generally a .38 Special revolver, although I do carry a small .22 LR semi-auto at times.

I also occasionally carry a 9mm semi-auto.

As for what the bad guys use, is there such a thing as the "most popular stolen and used caliber"?

Does the spent case issue have more to do with fingerprints? I'm guessing most bad guys are loading by hand. Are conditions hot or rough enough in 9mm to erase prints?

Lately I've been carrying a .45 with 2 spare mags. Smith and Wesson commander 1911 PD.

I always switch between 9mm and 45. Just recently got myself a Smith and Wesson 638-2. Stays in my work bag and it's my back up for the most part. It's also the hand off gun for my lady.

My .45's that I carry are the aforementioned along with a Smith and Wesson government 1911 TA, and a Glock 41.

The 9mm's are a SIG P226, HK P30, or Glock 19.

Yes in my opinion .45ACP does pack a bigger punch. The same technology to make other calibers better applies to the .45 as well. However, I still don't feel outgunned with any of my guns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back