What bird dog to get?

Re:maas

Being rare or uncommon are good things in the dog world. Improper breeding usually does not affect the less common breeds. I have noticed that in the last few years that German Shorthairs are creeping up on the AKC popularity list. That is not a good thing.

I do think our dog breeding programs should be regulated to some degree.

I Had A Bluetick Hound When I Was A Small Kid. It Was Very Gentle. Also Incredibly Smart. It Could Open Doors With Its Mouth. And My Dad Taught It To Fetch The Paper And Deliver It To The House Every Day. The Only Drawback I Can Think Of Is That It Would Love To Run Long Distances. We Lived On Acreage So It Was No Big Deal But It Could Be A Problem If You Are Going To Keep It Contained In A Small Area. One Day I Hope To Get Another One.

Well, I dont hunt anymore, but that doesnt mean I dont have any birddog. Below is a picture of my little Brittany pup, Bailey, 8 mos old. This pix taken over Presidents Day weekend, out in Calif Desert. Here she is with my son's Dalmation, playing retreive with a tennis ball. This pup is "birdie" though, even though she hasnt been trained for hunting. She works "off leash" with verbal and hand commands; but of course, still have aways to go.

I got her to be my companion, as my wife (and me, I must admit) also have Doxie's. When she's around the Weiner's, she is a terror. When it is just us 2, then she works quite well. Hopefully her training with command more and more. My wife has spoiled her so much!!

2-19campingtripCAdesert001.jpg

Over the last 26 years I have had (in this order) an English Setter (great dog for quail and pheasant), a Weimaraner (softest mouth I ever met, good for pheasant and waterfowl), and Brittanies (energy and enthusiasm), which I feel are the best for the type of hnting I do. I have also hunted over labs, GSP, Viszlas, and Chessies. Take a look, play with some, see which ones you like, and get one. I don't know that there is a BEST bird dog, except for the one pointing a bird right in front of you.

Long post but proves the quality of the breed.

IMHO, whatever breed you choose be 100% certain the dog is purebred.

I myself have a GSP he weighs in at 90lbs. and is the best dog I have witnessed in the field...Unfortunately:rolleyes: when they are exposed to people they become very protective of said people.:)

My GSP is literally twice the size of all the other GSP's around here and is all muscle...I will give you two prime examples of what to look for in a hunting dog.

1- Our neighbor owns a wolf/german shephard/malamute mix named Timber(read: very big, stupid and tempermental dog) Now for the past 2 yrs this dog has grown a little:eek: and has yet to get past the playfull stage. About two weeks ago I was walking my GSP behind my home and Timber decides to approach me...my GSP some 50yds. out immediately comes to my call and sits down at my feet...Timber continues his approach and my GSP makes no movement other than a barely audible growl...Having been attacked to the point of bleeding by Timber, while I am no small fry I am still intimidated by such a large dog...At this point he is literally within about 6 inches of my GSP and begins to growl and bark at me!
Now I am a little worried both for the safety of my GSP and Timber(If he attacks me or my GSP I feel required to euthenize him) I tell my GSP to "Get him" although I was more wishing than expecting it to happen.
Well, long story short my GSP with at least a 60lb weight disadvantage...knocks Timber to the ground...and lunges for his throat!:eek:

Thankfully the thick coat of Timber protected his life...At this point I tell my GSP to "release" and "go get in the pen" Very much to my amazement he releases the now visibly and audibly scared Timber and walks the 1/4 mile back to our house and enters the pen!!!
-----------------------------------------------------------
2-Last spring my GSP sat stock still in what appeared to be a laying down or crouching point...For over a half hour I watched out the window wondering what was going on...Finally curiousity got the better of me and I had to investigate. What Happened? A baby pheasant had walked through the yard and somehow or another had managed to get within reach of the GSP...When I got to the dog the baby pheasant was in his open mouth and the dog was stone still with the most helpless look I have ever seen.:D

Not to mention, everytime he enters a field at least one bird gets pointed.:)

Back