What bird dog to get?

Re:shorthair

Did you ever watch that hunting show called, Hunting With Hank?

It was kind of hokey, but you have to admit the Hank, the Setter, was an awesome hunting dog. Do you remember his tag line? He always said, "Never, ever, spoil your birddog."

Shorthair

From my post #25

Of course, you are right as far as it goes...

I guess the difference is in how we rate a good hunting dog.

rarely take him out that dog will be a poor hunter. Dogs need exposure to the outdoors

Any serious bird-dogger will "work" his dog routinely and often...
He will want the dog to range close and work hard...
He will want the dog to hold over the upland bird and watch the birds fall in order to find and retrieve them quickly so the hunt, or shoot, can continue in a timely manner.

If the dog gets easily distracted from these things it is a "poor" bird dog.

However, if the hunter is satisfied with the way his dog performs around other hunting dogs, and under the watchful eyes of his fellow hunters...
Who can fault that?

I say any retriver,''kind of says it all'' wheather it is a black lab.chocolate.yellow,golden!! they are all great dogs with great personality and great with kids,people!! They love to please there owners.:)

dgc940, for some folks its the retrieve that's more important than the finding and pointing. Depends on where and how you hunt, and how many birds there are.

Our weather/rain (and 'yotes and hawks and...) have been very tough on the quail where we hunt that we might only find a covey per hunt session. I guess that makes me think that the point is more important that the retrieve. I want to bust the covey; not the dog..... With good training a good bird dog should be able to do each well, but with unseasoned dogs the hunt can go south fast (I also think the point is the easiest teach.)

I don't any one dog can do everything perfectly, so you prioritize.

I have seen GSP do almost everything perfect. Great nose, great points for long periods of time, great retrieves, trailing wounded game.....can you tell I like GSPs? They are also very social and even tempered in the bloodline I have worded with.

Well, here goes the giggles, snorts and guffaws. I bred and trained hunting dogs for several years, many years ago. They were the best all-around dogs you could ask for. Swim in a cup of water, hunt close, range out, hound, trail, point, flush, guard and play with the kids. The biggest problem is that they are often smarter than the people owning them. :D

It is hard to find a good bloodline in the States, any more. However, if you are willinmg to put the work required into training, the Standard Poodle is hard to beat as a hunt-anything companion.

Pops

the Standard Poodle is hard to beat as a hunt-anything companion

I can't believe it took this long for this to be pointed out.

I learned by accident that poodles make excellent hunters. When growing up I would watch our minature (think beagle sized) poodle point at birds in the back yard. After some reading on the breed, I figured why not? I took her to a friend of my fathers that had bird dogs and we trained her for upland birds. She became a great quail flusher, and pheasant dog. My mother wasn't to thrilled that I took her pet and made it work for a living, but when all was said and done, she sure did like the birds we brought home.

bob

Last Laugh

A friend of mine has a standard poodle. Yes, they have hunting dog blood in them. In fact, my friend showed up to this retriever competition with his dog. They were tossing out bumpers and seeing which dog could get them fastest. He asked if his poodle could give it a try. They said okay, while smirking and some eye rolling.

After a couple of runs, they were not laughing at his standard p[oodle anymore.

i have a german wirehaired pointer and shes a great hunting dog on all types of game (ducks upland and deer havnt taken her elk hunting yet lol) thier good house dogs and family dogs because they are verry freindly but protective of there family. thoses were the pros now some cons our family has had german wirehaired pointers for many years (i think like 1969 i dont know they have been around longer that me) they have a LOT of energy; just like labs to be know for hip problems, a couple of ours have had diabtis, they live to long... i know your saying what? mine (the youngest) is seven she still acts like a puppy and will out last all my buddies 2 year old labs on a hunt. but you get so attached to them over this long period thats its really hard to let them go. oh by the way a long time is 20 years was the oldest then all the rest made it from 16 to 18 and the youngest was 14 but all that beeing said ill never switch breeds
by the way has anyone seen a black one mine is

Hey maas, my short haired is black. You dont see many of them around, most popular colour being liver. I personally think black looks heaps better.

Steve

There is a lab sharing our living quarters that will bite you if you would come in ununvited. You would be advised not to reach into my truck or boat either. Mike will make up to you, his time and way. If you try it you had better have a fast hand. He is not trying too hard to bite, but will protect what he thinks is his. I did not train him this way. If you mess with enough dogs you will discover that you actually do little training beyond come, sit, stay, and maybe a few hand signals. A great hunting dog was born to be great and a sorry dog was born to be sorry.

I am very pleased with our family's german short hair. He's easy to clean since the short hair isn't a magnet for burrs. He is a little rowdy around kids but he has never let us down in the field. Also, the slight web in his paws makes him fairly nimble in the water.

Did you ever watch that hunting show called, Hunting With Hank?
Don't think so. But I agree with the premise, and would add "kids" to the list of things never to be spoiled.

From my post #25
I read the post, was only commenting on the statement identified.

Shorthair --- Nice looking dogs.
Thanks, but they aren't perfect. Time training pays off in the field, that goes for all the time. If you think you can train your dog once, or that he'll just kind of figure it out when you take him afield, no breed, line or individual dog will fail to disappoint.

Vicious, unsocialized hunting dogs have no place in the fields.
or any other place for that matter.

Our farmyard mutt is a golden lab who goes by flash (or stupid depending on circumstances). He was never trained to hunt but has a natural instinct for it it seems. He loves to run and retrieve things and holds them quite gently in his mouth which is a bonus (although he does slobber a lot). He also loves the water. Chasing birds seems to be his biggest joy in life aside from laying on your feet and sleeping.

Any experience that i've had with golden labs is that they are quite smart and extraordinarily affectionate. Flash loves his people and hasnt bitten anyone in his five years of life. A warning though, labs chew everything they can get a hold of until they are three years old. Flash doesnt chew anymore he just carries shoes around and slobbers on them.

here is my bird dog a brittney spaniel she is great with the kids and hunts harder than I do

Attachments

• angel 005.jpg
    angel 005.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 22
I am still confused.... I know Labs are super smart dog (but didn't want what my buddy have a lab). I am tempted to go with Springer due to their size and would have to deal with their coat. Although, GSP is still a dog I wish I could have. Who know, maybe I'll get both! I just hope the wife wouldn't make me live outside with them! lol

I guess i look at it this way. My dog is 95 percent my friend and part of the family 5 percent a hunter. Ive have many differnt breeds of dog and my current dog is my first lab a chocolate. I will NEVER have another dog other then a lab again. Hows that for strong feelings. You will never find a kinder gentler more loveable dog then a lab. Now mine can be a dumb ass and chews everything he can but has wormed his way into my heart and is the first dog i can honestly say truely is my best friend.

Too Popular

There is nothing wrong with labs, except their popularity. They are ranked number one on the AKC popularity list. This has caused many to engage in poor breeding practices.

I have a friend that trains field dogs. He has had labs show up that did not have any birdiness in them at all. He would plant a pigeon in a release box and the dog had no idea what it was or what to do.

There are labs that are great hunters. But with this breed a potential owner really has to do their homework to make sure his dog comes from a hunting line. Less popular breeds tend to keep their hunting instincts intact.

Overbreeding is big problem. Look at German Shepards, another popular breed. Police departments have to import dogs from Belgium or Germany to get ones that still work the way they were intended to. Americans have overbred them into uselessness.

While I generally detest government interventions, I think we need some control over our dog breeding programs. In many countries dog breeding is highly regulated. I realize that soinds unamerican, but those countries do develop superior dogs.

topgun i have to agree i think black looks better also. also all i have to say is WOW!!! i never thought so many people liked the german shorthair/wirehaired pointers i always thought they were kind of a cult secret. around here (northern california) its rare to see a shorthair and un herd of to see a wirehaired pointer. when my grandparents got their first one they had to go to idaho to get it.

Back