What attributes do you most value in a concealed carry firearm?

Snappy

Given the weight and specs of the Glock 43 you should expect some snappy recoil. If your fundamentals are good, the recoil is totally manageable. I think it’s pretty much the same with all Glocks. The laws of physics or unchangeable. A light frame made out of polymer in 9mm will always have some recoil And concealable guns are always a compromise. For my money though, and as compromises go, The G 43 is a winner.

The real questions may be “what do we feel makes us safer or makes us better able to protect others or what helps us feel we have more status or what complies with our self image.

1. Cost. If money was not really number one... why hasn’t your pistol been worked over by a top tier pistolsmith? If you spent less than $1200 or so, my opinion is almost every element of a pistol can be improved.

2. Helps me feel in control. For me, that would mean reliability. In my mind, if the gun don’t go “bang” when you pull the trigger, nothing else matters. You could be carrying a squad of Navy Seals, but if they won’t work for you, you are out of luck!

3. Practicality. No matter what you have, some kind of shotgun, rifle or controlled firearm (maybe an mp5?) would be better for a gun battle. But that’s not practical.

4. Complies with my self image. I feel I am “a revolver guy.” I’ve had a whole list of semi autos, including a couple nice custom built one. I mean, I talked to the pistolsmith, and he customized just for me. In the end, they all went away except for the little custom .22 semi auto and the Bowen Blackhawk and it’s little ruger single action littermates.

Let’s face it... they make pink guns. They make em because they sell. While I value fancy walnut or cocobolo, that’s just as cosmetic a choice as pink.

Would you carry a Taurus or High Point or Harrington and Richardson if only you knew that what you had was excellent? Meh. There is real status to say “I am a Glock guy” even if you pay hundreds more when there may be something out there as functional from a company with less market penetration.

That said, it’s practical to find parts and holsters and ammunition for popular choices. Popular choices will have a better resale value.

I’ve never been in a gun battle. Never even came close. I have taken 14 deer with various handguns and that experience tells me this: shot placement is more significant than anything else. I have been in situations where I am sure I could have taken a deer with my .22 but there was no need for it.

In my opinion, most defensive gunfights will be less than six shots.

So: I don’t carry. I don’t feel the need unless walking afield in the autumn.

I am looking at a ruger LCRX to toss in my pocket with some .38 special cartridges when walking with the dog in the field... for shooting tin cans or protecting the dog from feral dogs or rabid raccoons or ... just to show my pals how cute the little thing is. This job is presently held by my bearcat or Ithaca model 37, depending on dates of bird seasons.

In order of importance to me:

1. Reliability. If I can't trust it to function, it doesn't get carried.
2. Ability to be carried at all times. As much as I like and how well I shoot a 1911, there are times it stayed in the truck instead of on my person. Doesn't do me much good when I'm out of the truck.
3. Adequate caliber. I won't carry anything below .38/9mm. A .380 may work but with 9mm handguns being as small as they are I don't see a need to drop below 9mm/.38.
4. Reasonable accuracy. Only good hit's count but IMO every gun on the market meets the standard for adequate accuracy in typical defensive distances. If the gun fits the shooter there is no reason it can't place the rounds where they need to go from contact distance to 10 yards or more.

Reliability, comfortably concealable (size and weight), and most oomph that fits in that package.

I can pretty easily conceal the Glock 42 (.380) in a IWB any time since it is very light and slim. But just practicing with it makes me surprised (every time!) how fast that 6-shot mag runs dry. So I only carry the g42 as a last resort option. I used to use a Keltec P3AT in the pocket for these circumstances but the G42 in a IWB is just as comfortable and concealable.

My most common carry is the M&P Shield 9 since it came out long before the Glock 43/43X/48. It is still easy to conceal and not heavy, and has 8+1 rds of 9mm, plus an extra mag. A single stack or slimline 9mm of this size is about optimum for always have it with me. The Shield has proven plenty accurate and reliable for me. Tempted to try a 10-shot G48 though. Should be about same size.

If wearing work clothes and a jacket, or hiking in the woods then I carry a Glock 23. It is definitely a bit heavier and thicker than the Shield and not as comfortable to wear all day. Some guys can carry a full size auto or even 1911, but that is not comfortable for me nor as easy to conceal.

1. Reliability- especially with carry ammo, including Hornady Critical Defense and Winchester (White Box) JHPs. If you don't do so already, buy a few dummy rounds and mix them in with live ammo. You'll find out very quickly why it's important your carry gun goes BANG! when it's supposed to, as many times as you need it to!

2. "Shootability"- out to ten meters/yards. Meaning the ability to consistently land a shot within 5" of my target...on a 3 second or less draw from concealment...and have similar follow-up shots. I guess what factors into this could be the size/weight of your sidearm, ammo choice, firing stance and grip, arm/wrist size, etc.

3. Size- I carry a Walther PPS with a six round mag and a round in the barrel. I only have had to make minor changes to clothing choices as the Walther is a compact- by more than a handful of people's definition it's a sub-compact. For warm weather, I have a Black Arch Holster's kydex IWB model. Highly recommended, and a decent price at $50-$60. It's generally very similar to other quality IWB's. Winter months, I tuck it in a "belly band" elastic band, over top of a tee shirt, and under a partially-buttoned flannel or plaid button up. It rides about 5-6 inches below my left armpit. It surprises me how many people don't know about this method- sort of a low-profile shoulder holster. There's a Velcro retention strap, but it doesn't have anything hard over the trigger guard. Just reinforced cotton, which will be fine under 99% of situations.

I did a similar "decision matrix" several years ago to prioritize options before putting hands-on. Of course, the first decision is what type of concealment are you looking for and do you have a caliber preference or minimum? You have some of the mouse-guns (LCP, etc.), sub-compacts/compacts, and full-size/service-size handguns. Before addressing what's most important, you probably need to determine which category. My focus is typically sub-compact/compact sized pistols, normally in 9mm caliber.

1. Reliability. This comes first from reviews and reputable manufacturers. While it's hard to "shop" for reliable, it's an attribute that can really only be discovered after shooting several hundred rounds along with which defensive ammo is most reliable and accurate in your particular handgun.

2. Shootability, is also very subjective. It's not an aspect you can put in a decision matrix until after you handle and hopefully shoot the handgun. Much of this depends on highly on the individual, how the gun feels in the hand, ease of presentation alignment, trigger reach, grip size, etc. The importance of this to me is training. The more "shootable" your handgun is, the more likely you'll enjoy shooting it a lot, and in turn, spend more time training with it. This attribute leads to more frequent training, faster presentation, more accuracy, faster follow-up shots, etc. While reliability is the top attribute, shootability is a close second.

3. Concealability, or size/dimensions. This plays a bigger role for comparisons in a decision matrix as it's more quantifiable and easier to see. However, dimensions do not mean they'll fit you better (be more shootable), or guarantee reliability. I use these attributes to narrow down choices. Concealability has more to do with your holster/carry system, clothing/attire, body-type, activity/occupation, etc.

Weight plays a role, and while it's often directly proportional to size, weight has it's own concerns. These concerns can be mitigated by a proper gun belt, but much depends on activity as a heavy gun that is overly noticeable can cause discomfort and fatigue in some situations. Still, a proper holster/carry system and belt will often negate the negative affects of even the heavier/larger guns. If one is pocket carrying, this often becomes a bigger factor. Again, method of concealment plays a big role.

4. Capacity. This is important, but not a deal breaker. Even with smaller, single stack 9mm pistols, I carry a spare magazine, so while capacity may be a factor, it's easier to address with other options. I find the above attributes more important.

5. Price. Price is often near the bottom. Not that it's not important, but it's less of a factor as once you narrow down a selection, prices will often be similar, unless you're focused on aesthetics or a higher-end custom.

There are a lot of factors that can be changed if everything else fits your parameters. You can get better triggers, better sights, extended magazines (for the shorter grip pistols), etc. While they may be a factor in selection, I typically don't overlook a handgun because I don't like their sights (like Glock's plastic sights, they're not night sights, or a three dot system that I don't particularly care for).

ROCK6

In your own words, "ease of presentability". The best gun in the world won't help you if you can't clear leather fast.

That, and a solid DA trigger.

^ yeah but that’s a skill that can be practiced, if you can’t handle carrying a 3lb gun all day practice ain’t an answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don Dayacetah said:
In your own words, "ease of presentability". The best gun in the world won't help you if you can't clear leather fast.

I think that has less to do with the handgun choice and more about the holster/carry system and dress. Clearing the holster, be it IWB, AWIB, OWB, pocket, etc., is more a function of training than pistol-type. Of course, I don't pocket carry a full-size 1911, and I don't deep-IWB a Ruger LCP. The OP's same question could be aimed just at holsters or carry systems...

ROCK6

I did a similar "decision matrix" several years ago to prioritize options before putting hands-on

I did the same thing...categories of shootability, reliability, concealability(why does my spell check says this isn't spelled right?), effectiveness...ranked possible choices 1-10..added each column up and decided.

ROCK6 [B said:
1. Reliability[/B]. This comes first from reviews and reputable manufacturers. While it's hard to "shop" for reliable, it's an attribute that can really only be discovered after shooting several hundred rounds along with which defensive ammo is most reliable and accurate in your particular handgun.

2. Shootability, is also very subjective. It's not an aspect you can put in a decision matrix until after you handle and hopefully shoot the handgun. Much of this depends on highly on the individual, how the gun feels in the hand, ease of presentation alignment, trigger reach, grip size, etc. The importance of this to me is training. The more "shootable" your handgun is, the more likely you'll enjoy shooting it a lot, and in turn, spend more time training with it. This attribute leads to more frequent training, faster presentation, more accuracy, faster follow-up shots, etc. While reliability is the top attribute, shootability is a close second.

3. Concealability, or size/dimensions. This plays a bigger role for comparisons in a decision matrix as it's more quantifiable and easier to see. However, dimensions do not mean they'll fit you better (be more shootable), or guarantee reliability. I use these attributes to narrow down choices. Concealability has more to do with your holster/carry system, clothing/attire, body-type, activity/occupation, etc.

Weight plays a role, and while it's often directly proportional to size, weight has it's own concerns. These concerns can be mitigated by a proper gun belt, but much depends on activity as a heavy gun that is overly noticeable can cause discomfort and fatigue in some situations. Still, a proper holster/carry system and belt will often negate the negative affects of even the heavier/larger guns. If one is pocket carrying, this often becomes a bigger factor. Again, method of concealment plays a big role.

ROCK6

Excellent post, and the first three points sum up my view perfectly.

Right off the bat, reliability.

Next up is shoot-ability. If in my hands the pistol I choose runs flat and tracks the way I want it to to match my speed and accuracy, that's a winner for me. The bore axis was negligible when it came to hammer-fired SIG Sauer and HK weapons because of this. Granted, it's a little quicker with pistols like Glock and Smith and Wesson. However, not as dramatic enough to tip the scale.

Capacity is great as well. More bullets in the magazine = more time in the fight and less time wasted on reloads, which could get uglier.

Now all of this said, nothing triumphs mindset, skill, and tactics. Those are more important than anything else.

Ability to shoot it well . . .

Given that there are plenty of guns available that are well reliable and nicely concealable the attribute I like most in a carry gun is my ability to hit what I am aiming at with it. For instance, I have a Springfield XDE as it has all the features I like in a CC gun. BUT at seven yards I still hit 6-8 inches to the left. This after a couple thousand rounds and a private lesson from a well qualified instructor. Not sure if I'll keep it or just keep learning to shoot it. Also, I have a sig p238 which I can shoot amazingly well. On a bad day I'm am only an inch or two to the left, on a good day there is one big hole right in the center.

Life is good.
Prof Young

Attribute #1. First , foremost and principally !

It must be on your person when the need arises .

If it is too big , too heavy , too uncomfortable...whatever the reason.... if you can't keep it on your person , all day , every day ... then it's not worth having.

My need came at 9 am , armed robber entered , I was in the office kitchen getting a cup of coffee ...the 1911 was on my desk . It did me NO GOOD .... He shot 4 times...I had no gun and he was in the door way .
The gun has to be comfortable enough and concealable enough to stay on your body all day long so you do not become separated from it .... If not...Its worthless .
Gary

Last edited:
I'm surprised so many people emphasize reliability and concealability or ease of carry, and so few even mention safety to carry.

Understandably, reliability is critical, but I can't think of a mainstream gun model that suffers reliability issues. There are certainly quality control issues in manufacture, but those problems aren't endemic to a particular model. Ok, the Desert Eagle is known to be unreliable, but is that really a concealed carry gun? I don't think there is a current, modern-model Glock, Sig, Springfield, CZ, Ruger, S&W, Beretta, FN, H&K, Kel-tec, Kahr, or Walther that is accepted by a lot of people as undependable. A 1911 is probably more prone to malfunctions than any of those, and I don't think it's been regarded as unreliable for more than 100 years. Even cheapo, budget brand imports like Charter and Taurus aren't really unreliable so much as they're lacking refinements, fit and finish, features and panache. Even a Hi Point is reliable. If anything was going to make practically any of the modern carry guns unreliable it would probably be a cheap aftermarket magazines. So I just don't see reliability as being an important selection criteria since it's not practical to unselect it.

Ease of carry and concealment I get. I had a hard time, a very hard time wrapping my head around how to carry a full-size gun, until I didn't. I now carry an all-steel, full-size and it's just not an issue. I had just psyched myself out because I didn't want to be "that guy." But it not only carries, it also conceals very well and I got over it.

Where I'm still hung up is safety in carry, and I can't believe nobody else considers this to mention it at all, much less to put it above reliability. I think most modern current model handguns are drop-safe, so in my mind the primary safety issue is prevention of AD/ND due to catching the trigger. This is not a function of the gun and it's action alone, but of those things, the holster and the concealment garments. I can't believe people mention "Capacity" and seem to disregard a carry gun's action and what it means with regard to what is needed to carry it safely.

Back