What attributes do you most value in a concealed carry firearm?

concealability, usability (can be deployed rapidly and accurately with only one functional hand).

all other attributes of a self defense firearm go without saying.

#1 is weight, don’t care how accurate or compatible if I’m not comfortable with it on the belt it’ll sit in the safe and that’s a failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caliber (9mm minimum; anymore, .380 is not for me)
Concealability (pocket carry, if it don't fit, I won't buy it)
Reliability (most critical characteristic, after getting a CCW in 9mm that fits in my pocket)
Shootability

So far, these meet my requirements: SIG P938, SIG P365

attributes

Adequate stopping power, no matter how elusive the phrase is to quantify. There are certain calibers and ammunition that have a better track record than others. I am not a fan of mouse guns, but they are in abundance these days. It has become very popular to drop a subcompact .380 or smaller auto pistol in your pocket these days as a primary firearm but I question the wisdom of same.

Reliability is an equal with adequate power. The thing has to work, every time.

A simple manual of arms, ease of operation. A double/single auto pistol, or a SA auto is acceptable if one is very proficient. But I have seen far to many folks who should have know better do some stupid things under stress with those platforms. The striker fired pistols have likely flourished due to their simple manual of arms.

I don't see capacity and threat stopping in the same light. To me they are separate categories. So after adequate power, there is adequate capacity. I think that can vary with circumstances in some instances. I will not need as high a capacity to walk down the lane to my rural mailbox at a late hour, as I might in another setting. If one carries sufficient ammo /reloads with them, whether a DA revolver, a 7+1 auto, or a wondernine, capacity does not weigh in as heavily. But a two shot derringer is not adequate as a primary gun, even in an appropriately powerful enough caliber.

#1: Reliability -- I have to know it will go bang when I need it.

#2: Shootability -- This is some combination of hand fit, trigger, and tolerable recoil. I have to be able to practice with my carry gun.

#3: Concealability -- Fortunately, my daily wardrobe would allow me to hide a Serbu Shorty if I really wanted to. Equally fortunately, I do not want to. So this is an easy one.

#4: Capacity and Caliber -- I put these together because I kind of balance them when evaluating a pistol. All other things being equal: (a) I'm willing to accept the loss of a round or two if I'm going up in caliber; and (b) I want to gain a round or two if I'm going down in caliber. I'm also aware that all other things are rarely equal.

#5: Accuracy -- I would probably not carry a pistol that was horribly, pitifully inaccurate. I have enough trouble hitting the bull as it is, and that would make practice pretty discouraging. Thus, I'd be less likely to practice with it. At the same time, I realize that for SD purposes, I really only need minute of man at about 10 yards to do the deed. crosses fingers, knocks on wood, throws salt over left shoulder Everything I carry does that and then some.

Most of the time these days, I carry a 9mm Shield (8+1) in a DeSantis Speed Scabbard, with two 8 round backup mags on the weak side. I have two alternatives: A Glock 19 and backup magazine for when I want more rounds, and a Ruger LCR for pocket carry when neither of the others will work. The Shield definitely gets more holster time than anything else, though.

it goes bang every single time i pull the trigger. nothing else matters.

You can carry 98% of all handguns concealed, as long as you purchase a quality holster.

I tend to place safety, reliability, comfort, weight and ease of access over power, capacity and shootability. I carry a five shot S&W 342 in my right front pocket holster.

I think these tests (link) are a useful tool in establishing a baseline for competence and the first four are doable for me with a five shot revolver. The last test is much more difficult with a five shot J frame and does serve as a notice that there could be situations a more capable handgun would be desirable.

Reliability; Reliability; Reliability
As for conceal-ability, moderate to minimum concern. People have no clue what that bit of a bulge is in your pocket, or what is causing that little bump in your shirt above your belt. Besides, conceal-ability is as much a factor of style of carry, and holster as it is the gun itself
Accuracy, I seriously doubt that any concealable handgun made today would not exhibit accuracy sufficient for self defense. If you need it the target is not going to be a dot, and some surrounding rings on a piece of paper. It also is not going to be standing there stationary on a target hanger. It will be moving, bobbing, punching, grabbing, stabbing, etc.
Sights, at civilian SD distances you won't need much if any. If you take time to acquire a "sight picture", your family will have a nice picture of you on your coffin.
Quality, yes but that doesn't mean you have to spend the equivalent of a house payment to get it. Plenty of guns fulfill the requirements in the $200-$500 range.
Shoot-ability, that is totally subjective to the shooter.
OUTSTANDING POST, Cheapshooter & yours as well, Spats. My thoughts exactly. Rod

#1 Safety in carry. If the gun and carry method result in something unsafe, it can be a bigger risk to me than anything it mitigates.

#2 Shootability. This mostly has to do with the grip, the felt recoil, the trigger, the weight, and the sight radius. It could be five criteria, but they all work together to make a gun easier or harder to shoot well.

#3 Manual of arms. I'm going to choose a manual of arms before I choose other features. DA revolver vs. DAO auto vs. DA/SA with decocker vs DA/SA with safety, vs SAO with safety vs. Striker with safety vs. Striker w/o safety etc. This is going to have a lot of bearing on #1 too.

#4 Cartridge. There's a lot of data that could suggest it makes no difference, but in my mind there is a big difference between .45 ACP, .380 and .357 Magnum. I should probably put less emphasis on this criterion, but then I would likely end up with a 9mm like everyone else. The cartridge can have some bearing on #2.

#5 Weight. My limit is about 48 ounces. That includes most things smaller than a BFR, so it's low on my list. I find mostly disadvantages with light guns, but there is still a wide range of weights that can meet criteria #2.

#6 Size and Concealability. I have a hard time carrying and concealing guns with longer than 6" barrels. "Full" size revolvers and autos are not a problem, unless there are bulky attachments like weapon lights and red-dot sights.

There are factors common to any firearm I'm going to carry or shoot so I will try to stick to those that are relevant to concealed carry.

First of course is whether or not I can easily, reliably and consistently present the firearm from wherever it is concealed.

Second is conceal-ability itself. Just how easy is it to conceal the firearm in whatever I happen to be wearing that day.

Those two factors are relevant relating to concealed carry for me above those things like reliability and shoot-ability and availability that are common to all my firearms.

The single most important attribute of a concealed carry gun is, will you carry it! If you don't have it with you all the other glowing things you can say about it are worthless.

Dave

Reliability, and ease of carry.
Kel-tec P32 in a Sticky holster, almost every day. Otherwise is my Charter Arms DAO Undercover. 38

The single most important attribute of a concealed carry gun is, will you carry it! If you don't have it with you all the other glowing things you can say about it are worthless.

Dave
Well said, after a 1 year anniversary of CCW, my carry firearm is as essential as me as underwear or shoes..lots go into that choice but as my son is fond of telling me,
“Better to have it and not need it rather than needing it and not having it”...back to the .380 discussion, ‘it’ means’ little, carrying always means a lot.

Reliable. That’s why I have Glocks after all. I mean it’s not for thier good looks or stellar accuracy! :rolleyes:

The next two compete for dominance in terms of priority: weight & thickness. If it’s too heavy it gets uncomfortable - if it’s too thick, same thing. I generally IWB with a tucked in shirt. If it’s too fat or heavy, it stays at home. And that’s why my Glocks are all a part of the thin line series. 42, 43, 48.

Like I said, if I had to have tack driving accurate, I wouldn’t pack a Glock, bit the gun does have to hit what I’m shooting at however. So the next criteria is accuracy. The Glocks are accurate enough.

Finally, ft/lbs... I’d love to pack something more than a 9. Or in the case of my 42 a .380, but I value fast follow up shots more than actual “stopping power.” I’d rather hit em 3 times with a .380, than once with a .45. And considering the lack of recoil the 42 has, I’m positive I could do just that. I could only wish I could shoot a 357 out of a 17oz gun even remotely as fast, and on target, as my 380’s and 9s.

And that’s why my Glocks are all a part of the thin line series. 42, 43, 48

I KNOW it's subjective but can you compare the relative recoil of the 43 vs the 48? My range doesn't have one for rent yet..

THANKS

Back