What attributes do you most value in a concealed carry firearm?

2damnold4this

What attributes do you most value in a concealed carry firearm and how do you weigh them?

Desirable attributes could include reliability, shootability, cost, capacity, power, ease of carry, ease of presentation, ease of use and/or anything else that you value. What is important to you?

Edit to add: Could you include your chosen carry handgun, holster and carry method?

Last edited:
Concealable / Doesn’t print in most instances.
Rapid draw / Easy to get to.
Accurate.
Enough capacity to stop the threat(s).

What attributes do you most value in a concealed carry firearm and how do you weigh them?

Desirable attributes could include reliability, shootability, cost, capacity, power, ease of carry, ease of presentation, ease of use and/or anything else that you value. What is important to you?

Reliability is paramount. If a gun is not and cannot be made reliable, it's sidelined or sold off.

After that, durability, serviceability (can I do minor maintenance?), manufacturer support, cheap magazines, parts availability and low parts cost, good aftermarket support. Safety (get the striker control device.)

What's not in the list? Striker fire or hammer fired.

Shootability is first and foremost for me.

I dont carry a pistol as a talisman to ward off evil. I carry it because i might need to use it to save my (or someone elses) LIFE.

So, it must have all the attributes any good SD pistol would have. Good sights, trigger, capacity.

These days its a M&P 2.0 compact. For more years then i care to admit it was a Glock 19, both Stateside and working overseas. That size gun allows me to shoot well, carry a bunch of rounds to (hopefully) avoid the need to reload and engage to the limits of my ability without the pistol hampering me.

I do have smaller guns, but i regard them as specialty guns. Gym, running, etc.

Reliability
Reliability
Reliability
As for concealability, moderate to minimum concearn. People have no clue what that bit of a buldge is in your pocket, or what is causing that little bump in your shirt above your belt. Besides, concealability is as much a factor of style of carry, and holster as it is the gun itself
Accuracy, I seriously doubt that any concealable handgun made today would not exhibit accuracy sufficient for self defense. If you need it the target is not going to be a dot, and some surrounding rings on a piece of paper. It also is not going to be standing there stationary on a target hanger. It will be moving, bobing, punching, grabbing, stabbing, etc.
Sights, at civilian SD distances you won't need much if any. If you take time to acquire a "sight picture", your family will have a nice picture of you on your coffin.
Quality, yes but that doesn't mean you have to spend the equivalent of a house payment to get it. Plenty of guns fullfill the requirements in the $200-$500 range.
Shootability, that is totally subjective to the shooter.

Reliability, accuracy, shootability. Concealability isn't that big a deal, I can dress around anything.

Reliability, quality, capacity, size and some versatility. I want a good amount of ammo in a good caliber in a gun I can either carry on my side or slip into my pocket, I like the G27.

Critical (to me) characteristics. Reliability. 9mm minimum power. Another one I'll call "portability". By that I mean weight,size,width that results in being carried with me. For myself,that means a 7+1 45 ACP Shield 2.0 at 20.5 oz beats a 7 or 8 +1 45 ACP 1911 Govt. I said "for me" .You are free to have a different opinion.It will do me no good left at home.

I must be confident its safe to carry in a holster with a round in the chamber.I prefer no separate action with a safety. A flipper trigger with a 6 or 7 lb pull and some (but not too much) travel is OK

Between the grip,sights,and trigger,it must be pretty quick and easy to hit a 6 in round target at 10 yards ,controllable for multiple shots. Its hard to be more specific. Its how it holds in my hand .Ergonomics,maybe.

I'll agree capacity is desirable. For myself,its a flexible criteria. 7+1 with two spare mags is OK. Probably minimum

I prefer tritium,but I'm not fond of three dots. For myself,the rear sight dots
overwhelm my eye a bit.I see those first. I have to hunt the front sight through the rear dots.

Last edited:
I value the most power and highest capacity within the natural restrictions of what I can shoot well and comfortably carry on an all-day basis. In colder weather, that's a polymer-framed semi-auto in 9mm or .40 S&W. In warmer weather, that's an LCR in .327 Federal.

Edit to add: Could you include your chosen carry handgun, holster and carry method?
I have 3 'number ones.
-Fun to Shoot(equals familiarity, comfort, trainng..no fun, won't shoot it, won't CCW)
-Concealability-ease, comfort
-Reliability...works everytime, period, with any ammo, cheap to 'boutique'

-Number 2..a caliber that, with proper ammo choice, will 'hurt the bad guy'. With an eye towards with owning a CCW handgun, that 'use' or instance is BY FAR, the least likely.

Glock 42, everyday. 7+1..use a Raven Vanguard minimalist holster, IWB appendix carry. Sometimes carry an 8 round magazine in a 'SnagMag' in left pocket.
Shootability is first and foremost for me.

I don't carry a pistol as a talisman to ward off evil. I carry it because i might need to use it to save my (or someone elses) LIFE.

Made me chuckle but I agree.

#1 on my list is a firearm that I'm familiar with and can shoot very well. Of course, that means that ANY firearm can be moved in that position if I work with it a lot and become skilled with it.

#2, of course, is reliability.

Everything else is secondary to me. I'm a big guy so it's a little easier for me to carry a larger framed pistol or even a larger revolver so I have a lot more options which I feel are "agreeable" to me.

I do prefer to carry something with a lot of capacity. A 15+1 or 17+1 magazine is plenty for me and I don't feel the need to carry extra magazines. If I choose an 8+1 pistol, then I start feeling like I should carry another mag.

Weight is no concern to me. I've found that I've been able to adapt to larger firearms over time, to the point that if I'm not carrying, I feel somewhat under dressed.

Caliber doesn't matter a whole lot to me if I've satisfied #1 on my list. That means that if I'm most proficient with a specific handgun in 9mm, then I'll carry 9mm. But I don't mind developing skill with a .45 if I have some other reason to do so.

Bottom line, to reiterate, proficiency is #1 concern on my list.

--Wag--

GLOCK 26 with Magpul 12 round magazine
Milt sparks Summer Special IWB Holster
Holster located at approximately the two o'clock location.

IWB is my preferred style with either one of my 1911's or Sig 220 (all in .45), 3:30 -4:00 on strong side. If I carry a large revolver, one of my S&W .44 Mags, or .357, or my Ruger GP-100. 357, I wear an OWB holster. If its beach weather, and I have my 642 .38 SW, I pocket carry in a pocket holster. All of them concealed, NEVER open carry. Always extra magazines or speedloaders.

Last edited:
Reliability is paramount. Accuracy and concealment are right up there, with capacity closing on the outside.

I found my sweet spot with a Glock 26 that goes IWB most days. When IWB doesn't work, I pocket carry a Sig P238, fully realizing that it gives some ground in capacity and in the cartridge.

Reliability....I favor wheelguns for EDC (.357 or .44 special)
Quality.......this equates to good sights and decent triggers on mine anyways
Shootability.my carry guns are easy to shoot well, and the bullets go where the sights were aimed.

Back