What are your overall thoughts on .32 ACP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saurgrapes-
Those two shots with a .45 would have probably had exactly the same effect. As I said- the ONLY sure, 100% stop shot is a CNS shot.
ANY other shot may, or may not, produce a stop-regardless of caliber.

Cheapshooter said:
Aples/oranges.
What is the weight difference between the P32, and P3at or LCP?

applesauce/orange julius.
I don't own or carry a P3at or LCP, so I don't care. I do own and carry an LCR, so the difference in weight is relevant to me.

mavracer said:
Is that a 357 LCR

Yes, and it's four ounces heavier than the .38 frame but still a very light, small and comfortable to carry revolver. I carry mine with .38 +P loads, but I still wanted the .357 stainless frame in case I want to carry it with .357.

But the P32 is still 1/2lb lighter.

when I shot the LCP I had trouble hitting within the biggest circle on a target at 10 yards. I'm sure at 5 or less I'd hit a 3 inch group, but the recoil is still unpleasant.

Picked up my new to me Glock 27 Gen 4 this week.

if you did not enjoy the recoil of the LCP in 380....you are going to love the recoil of the 40 in the G27....:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Where did you hear Colt was coming out with a new 1903 with a longer barrel? I know some of the original models had a longer barrel but it was fairly rare and looks ungainly. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have one, but I'd be very surprised if that happens. Colt licensed the production of a new 1903 a couple of years ago and I'm not sure if that is still being produced or not.

32 ACP is a fun round to shoot. Very low recoil and ammo can be found for cheap. The original 1903 is a quality gun. If you can find one for a reasonable price I'd suggest buying it. Both of mine cost considerably less than the price of the new ones sold recently.

32 anything is not the best SD round but they can get the job done.
I meant that because the 1903 has a longer than normal barrel compared to most .32 pistols (PPK, P32, Bereta 3032, etc.) it would make for a nice plinker.

Bill D., the congregation is faaaaast asleep.
Or they are alert, and well. Just moved into the 21st Century.
Unless you have a disability, or just bothered by a little bit more thump in your hand the very concealable size of modern 380's and even some 9MM's make it much easier to not handicap yourself with the tiny pill out of a 32.

What are your overall thoughts on .32 ACP?

In a package like the Kel-Tec P32, the .32 ACP has it's place.

In a package like a Walther PPK, the .32 has a OK place.

In a package like the SIG 232 the .380 starts to overshadow in and such guns as the Glock 43 9mm makes it obsolete.

BUT, for people who have medical problems where they cannot handle a heavy weapon nor one that kicks much, a lock breeched .32 makes sense. Unfortunately exept for the Kel-Tec P32, they don't make one!

I would love to see a Kimber Micro 9 in .32 ACP! And maybe even a Glock 42 in .32! Bet they would not kick much.

Deaf

Cheap shot, Cheapshooter. :rolleyes:

I can assure you that I own tiny .380s and 9mms. As a matter of fact-I own more guns than many gun shops. I carried the gun the SIG P238/Kimber/Colt guns were copied from for years.

I have no disability, and I can certainly handle the recoil of most any pistol. I have a 20 ga. pistol with 10" barrels!

What I am telling you is that caliber and capacity does not trump shot placement. Never has, never will.

As I said, if I knew I was going to be in a gun fight- I would take a big gun with me. Since I doubt I'll be in a gun fight, I'm happy with my P32.

What I am telling you is that caliber and capacity does not trump shot placement. Never has, never will.
Not entirely. Yes, a shot hitting the exact right spot, penetrating deep enough from anything will result in an instant stop. The problem is no matter how well you shoot any gun, it is extremely rare that your target, an assailant, stays still enough for that "well placed shot" to actually hit that spot. So I will always hedge my chances of stopping an attack with a larger round when ever possible. Because while a central nervous system hit is a sure thing for an instant stop, physical shock from a larger wound, and mental shock from realizing you have been shot are two more viable possibilities. Both of which are made more intense with a larger wound created by a bigger bullet with more expansion, and penetration.
Cheap shot, I think not. You said yourself that you shoot a 32 better than something bigger.

I never said that I shoot a P32 better than something bigger. I said I carry a P32 because I don't expect to need something bigger.

I think folks know this. At least those that have thought about it know it.

There is nothing wrong with someone carrying a 32. It works. It has a place in the roster. It puts holes in things that require holes.

As Bill says, you most often don't need more. But if you think you might then there might be better tools in a fight.

tipoc

I never said that I shoot a P32 better than something bigger.

Doesn't sound like it from this quote!
.32 is much more controllable than .380. Recoil is mild and follow-up shots are easier and faster.
Not everyone wants a gun that is painful to shoot.
Not everyone feels a 380 mouse gun, or even small, sub compact 9MM's are painful to shoot.
If someone doesn't like the slight increases in recoil in bigger calibers then what they give up on the other end of the bullet is worth the trade off for a milder cartridge.

Not subscribing to your theory of relativity. Strictly from own experience. I don't find follow up shots any harder with my LCP than with my P32. Or even any harder with my 9MM Kahr CM 9 shooting +P ammo. At the same time I don't find follow up shots particularly easier with my Ruger GP 100 357 than my Super Blackhawk 44 Magnum.
I also don't find any of the above to be particularly "painful". That enters the picture with my 10" 45-70 Contender.

It's doubtful you'll feel the recoil when you're fighting for your life.

Still I would not recommend you depend on a gun that brings you pain when firing.
We're all different I've met disabled and elderly shooters that can't even handle 9mm in a fullsize gun, you can forget handing them a subcompact.

A gun that is painful to shoot you just won't practice with.
I'd rather someone find a gun they can handle and practice even if it's what most would consider weak for self defense.

A 32 or even a 22 is still a gun.

But, then you're a real macho man aren't you?
Besides that, no one's opinion counts except yours.
Nope to both. Just answering the OP's question.

My focus here is specifically on the .32 ACP. What do you think of it as a plinking round, a defensive round, and what do you think of the common guns that have been chambered for it?
No need to get nasty when someone expresses a different opinion backed up by substantial facts.

I don't find follow up shots any harder with my LCP than with my P32. Or even any harder with my 9MM Kahr CM 9 shooting +P ammo. At the same time I don't find follow up shots particularly easier with my Ruger GP 100 357 than my Super Blackhawk 44 Magnum.
What's the difference in your split between shots?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back