What are your overall thoughts on .32 ACP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TruthTellers

I see someone made a thread here about .32 ACP vs .40 S&W. Interesting, albeit odd question given that no police or law enforcement agency in the US has ever supplied officers with a .32 ACP chambered pistol, yet the .40 dominated for 25 years.

My focus here is specifically on the .32 ACP. What do you think of it as a plinking round, a defensive round, and what do you think of the common guns that have been chambered for it?

Personally, I hadn't considered .32 ACP much at all, but when I got a .32 H&R single action revolver, I started to think about .32 ACP as it shot well in the revolver and having a pistol would make a nice companion piece for the revolver. When I actually handled a Kel Tec P32, I was really impressed with how light it was and when I heard Colt was coming back with the 1903 Pocket Hammerless in a much longer barrel, I thought that would make for a great plinker in the cartridge. I know .32 ACP isn't a powerhouse of a round, but it's proven very popular in Europe because those Europeans love low recoil stuff and if it shoots better and hits where you want it to, it should still do the job stopping a threat.

I can't think of a reason to get one. Not nearly that many ammo manufacturers listed on ammoseek as most other cartridges.
And a .380 can be had in a small size but has a bigger punch.

My 32acp when I had it was a Walther PP (French) - it was extremely accurate, and the best pointing pistol I owned. Had it been in 380, I most likely would have kept it. #2 brass is expensive to buy and a real PITA to find when shooting it. Ammo can be anemic but handloading is easier than the .25 and a pound of powder goes a LLLLOOOOONNNNNNGGGGGG way when load 2 grains or so. Except for the 71RN, most 32 bullets seem to be meant for the H&R and 327 Federal, so unless you spring for 60gr Gold Dots, that can be a minor annoyance. With the right gun, it can pop soda cans all day long and be even cheaper to shoot than most decent .22 ammo these days.

I bought an NAA Guardian in .32 acp many years ago because it was the smallest centerfire pistol around at the time. (Perhaps there were some .25's that were even smaller, don't or care.) Seecamp was available, but would only chamber the Winchester Silvertip. Then Kel-Tec bought out their tiny little 32. With the fixed barrel and one fingered grip of the Guardian, you knew you had shot a gun. If anyone one the receiving end it was probably more an issue of surprise.

Now you have manageable .380's like the Sig P238 and 9mm guns by Kahr, Glock, and others that are good shooters and very small. Not much point in packing a .32. As for plinking or what have you, .32's used to be pretty cheap and .22's were hard to find. The .32's would kick up more dust so you could say they provided more fun, but the prices have changed. 32's are twice what they were -- or more. I can find all the .22's I want around here so I don't see point in the .32 unless you like them for your own reasons.

Plinking, too expensive. SD only in a Kel Tec P32. I have a CZ50 & 70 and 32 ACP but I can't see using them for SD unless I had very few options.

Other than the typical American "bigger is better" crap-
.32 is much more controllable than .380. Recoil is mild and follow-up shots are easier and faster.
Not everyone wants a gun that is painful to shoot.

I like 32 ACP. It's a great round for plinking and I haven't be afraid to carry one of mine. I have a Beretta 3032 and a CZ 83. They're both clunky and heavy compared to newer stuff, but they both shoot great. The CZ is my most accurate handgun. You did ask about common guns, and these aren't common. CZ doesn't make the 83 any more. But if you can find one, you'll enjoy it.

This time of year I carry my P32 most of the time, it's several ounces lighter and quite a bit slimmer than even my LCR.

The P32 is a close in, arm's length weapon. That's likely what I'd need 99.9% of the times that I would ever need an SD weapon. I load 60g GD in the chamber and first round, then 73g Fiochhi FMJ for the rest of the mag. I'm sure that if I ever have to use it for SD the other person will just laugh and tell me I should have used a .40, but I still prefer it for EDC just because it's so light and small.

Yes, so are the P3AT and LCP, but those are very unpleasant to shoot and hard to shoot accurately, at least for me.

Edit: I just weighed them, the P32 w/7 round mag is 9oz lighter than the LCR loaded with 130g .38 +p. That's a lot to me on a hot day.

Last edited:
I own a couple 32acp pistols. Actually three I can think of. My very first C&R handgun purchase, a Manurhin Walther PP, a CZ50, and a Kel-Tec P32.
All three are very pleasant shooters. The French Walther, and CZ being bulkier, and as heavy as many 9MM pistols I don't consider them for my own carry. The Kel-Tec isn't a great deal smaller than my 380 LCP that I shoot quite well, so it was just a kinda "had to have one" purchase. At first it had some function problems. A little gumed up, and it would not always go into battery. It was used, but showed little sign of use. Kind of thinking the original owner didn't feel a need to clean a new gun, and thought something was amiss. Anyway, with a good cleaning, and proper lubrication it seems to be OK. After a thorough shakedown with another 100 rounds or so it could possibly see limited CCW use. I think if people just can't handle shooting something with a little more umph, the 32 is an acceptable SD round. Keeping in mind that shot placement is the most important thing. No matter how big of a hole you make, it's where it is that counts most.
That important shot placement can be made consistently with plenty of practice. If someone is uncomfortable getting that practice with a larger caliber, the 32 is a good choice.

^ Yeah, when I shot the LCP I had trouble hitting within the biggest circle on a target at 10 yards. I'm sure at 5 or less I'd hit a 3 inch group, but the recoil is still unpleasant. The Ruger ARX Polycase ammo was not bad however. I'm sure that round would be just find at point blank range.

I really encourage people to try that load for the .380 pocket guns. The bullet weight is just slightly more than a standard .25

I've had my French (Walther) PP for years (30ish) and still find it's fun to shoot. Inexpensive too if you reload. There's plated, fmj and lead projectiles available for it, the hard part is building up enough brass for a decent run on the press but brass is available from many "once fired" brass sites so pick up a thousand or two and you're set for a long time.

I picked up 500 pulled fmj for around $38. Add $15 for primers and $5 for powder and I'm loading 500 rounds for under $60. Makes it cost competitive with 22lr and it's more fun to shoot. You can bring that cost down some with cast lead projectiles so it can be cheaper than 22lr.

I wouldn't consider it a winter self defense weapon but summer time yes. Alternate fmj and hp in the mag and it should work well. Like posted above it has minimal recoil so follow up shots are quick and on target.

I have a "thing" for 32acp and 380acp service pistols.

In 32acp I have a (French) MAB Model D, a CZ70, an FEG AP, and an "original" Colt 1903. I also have a Beretta Model 100, which has a 6" barrel and adjustable sights, and (of course) a Kel-Tec P32.

I don't feel comfortable with it as a SD round, but I think it is fun to shoot. I just shoot reloads and, as others have said, it costs something like 22lr that way.

I also have a bunch of 32 revolvers. I feel okay about 32 H&R magnum and 327 magnum as SD cartridges. Of the six 32 magnum revolvers I've owned, two would not fire 32acp, two would fire some rounds but not others, and two were completely reliable with it. When or if they would shoot 32acp, it seemed decently accurate.

I don't shoot 32acp out of my 32 S&W or 32 S&W long revolvers because it builds up more pressure than the original rounds and I don't consider it to be safe.

It is a great round out of the 6" Beretta. The accuracy and follow-up are similar to a 22lr, but it is slinging a much bigger piece of lead.

The Colt 1903 is another great pistol for that caliber. The sights are tiny, but other than that it's amazing. It is a heavy steel pistol with a decently long barrel. The recoil is nothing. It feels great in the hand and points naturally.

The CZ70, FEG AP, and MAB Model D are decently accurate smallish service pistols. They are too big to be pocket pistols, but are basically small, light, and convenient for belt holsters. Their cartridge isn't powerful, but is way better than a 22 or 25. They were considered adequate for military and police work in Europe for many years. They are fun to shoot and collect.

I bought the P32 because I had the opportunity to get one for $112 barely used, and they are sort of iconic. It functions perfectly, but has no real sights and I can only get 1.5 fingers on the grip. Its "combat accuracy" is plenty good at seven yards. I don't "feel comfortable" with 32acp as a SD cartridge, but on the other hand, emptying the magazine onto someone from five feet away would probably be more than adequate. It is the smallest, lightest firearm I have ever shot.

Last edited:
I have no exp with .32acp.

I can see how it might be appealing to those with disability, of if you just wanted an even smaller pocket gun.

The .380's are pretty small these days.. Unless you're disabled or need super maximum concealment I don't see the .32's to really offer all that much over the cheaper to shoot and more powerful .380acp / 9mm pocket guns.

The .380's are pretty small these days.. Unless you're disabled or need super maximum concealment I don't see the .32's to really offer all that much over the cheaper to shoot and more powerful .380acp / 9mm pocket guns.

this sums it up nicely....

H&R 732 can handle 32 ACP. Yeah, also the Taurus 327 Snubbie. Both of which are not longer produced, however.

Pretty much any gun that can fire 32 H&R Mag and upward can fire 32 ACP. The 732 is a special case because it is a heavy duty overbuilt gun chambered for the 32 S&W Long. I wouldn't do that in any other gun not chambered in 32 H&R Mag and up.

TruthTellers - My FiL reloads 32 S&W long for me these days, so there is no real reason to shoot 32acp out of my revolvers anymore. But before he started reloading again I used to shoot it occasionally.

When I got interested in 32 H&R magnum revolvers, I bought a couple of cheap ones to try it out. H&R also sold revolvers under the New England Firearms label. I got two used NEF 32 magnum revolvers for $120-something and $140-something. They both work fine, but the blued one just won't shoot 32acp at all, and the stainless/nickel one will shoot it every time with no problems. They are the exact same model (R73, IIRC).

I think that the other one that shoots it fine is my Ruger Single Six in 32 magnum. But my other Ruger, the SP101 in 327 magnum, will ignite some 32acp cartridges, but not others.

I'm guessing it has to do with very small differences in the firing pin length and/or the edges of the chambers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back