What are the hidden gems for home defense purposes?

crimp

I've nothing to support my comment about crimp on .22lr, other than my own observations. There was a time when I carried a Beretta M21 in .22lr as a deep back-up. It rode clipped inside a ballistic vest at my left armpit. It was virtually undetectable under a uniform shirt unless discovered in a manual search. It had to be....we had no policy concerning backup guns.....I was outside of policy but new darn well that a backup was a good thing and I had the Beretta and it would conceal well, from both felons and supervisors.

I stoked the Beretta with CCI Stingers usually, sometimes hi-vel Remington hollowpoints. Both those .22 ctgs ignited reliably in other firearms in normal conditions, or at least as reliable as riimfire can be. If I did not change the ammo out on say a monthly basis, especially in the summer, the little Beretta, otherwise a completely stellar performer, would fail to fire on 2-3 rounds per loadout. The .22 lr cartridges needed to be fresh. I reasoned that the rounds, rimfire primed as 44AMP described, were becoming contaminated by moisture spoiling the priming compound and entering the case at the crimp. Perhaps my logic is flawed, but the little Beretta, carried in that fashion with no attention to it's ammo, could not be trusted.

When policy caught up to the times, I had no such trouble with .38 spl in a M36, and later .380acp in a Sig 230S carried in the exact same manner. This is simply my own experience and conclusion on a single set of circumstances, but I have distrusted rimfire ignition for defensive use based on same.

I once owned a Beretta 21 and recently shot another to try different gimmick .22s like "Uppercut" and neither of them was reliable enough for carry under the best of circumstances.

.22 LR semi auto pistols are about the most "finicky" firearms that exist. Some run fine on anything, some will choke on what runs fine in other guns. They are, in general, very "selective" about what ammo feeds, and fires reliably.

AND, two different examples of exactly the same gun can have entirely different ammo preferences!!

I think the little pocket guns might be the worst of them all, for that, but don't have any real proof.

Friend of mine has a S&W model 41 the "Cadillac" of .22 Sport pistols. Great gun, feels like you're wearing a glove, you have almost be intentional to miss with it. Won't run CCI Blazer .22s. Same stuff runs through my 1983 Ruger Mk 1 Target, like water. Flawless in that gun, almost useless in a gun that doesn't like it.

If you're going to use a .22 for a back up gun, forget the most "powerful" .22s, use what is most reliable in YOUR gun, no matter what it is. If its Mini Mags, great, but even if its only standard velocity rounds, that WORK reliably, you're further ahead than using a "better" round that isn't reliable.

Back