What are some fun things to shoot?

I take it to the 400 and 500 yard makers...You hear the bong a second or two after you shoot.

DANG! thats some sloooow bullets...

.308 rounds take just over a second to make it 1000 yards

you need more powder in your cartridges...lol

david

Old tractor or semi flywheels make good long distance gongs, and will soak up alot of abuse. Try Co2 capsules, from a safe distance, too.

itdave, how wrong you are. Heres the ballistics of a remington express .308 Win. 150 grain load.

Range Velocity Energy Momentum Drop Windage Lead Time
(yards) (ft/sec) (ft-lbs) (lbs-sec) (inches) (inches) (inches) (sec)
0 2820.0 2648.6 1.88 -1.5 -0.0 0.0 0.000
500 1543.4 793.4 1.03 -65.4 33.5 0.0 0.722
1000 944.8 297.3 0.63 -535.6 169.4 0.0 2.027

Notice the round is not even supersonic at 1000 yards, and it has dropped quite a bit.

Once I shot my .308 and the bullet went so fast that it tore a hole in the sky and then angels came out of it singing "Don't dooo that, please, don't dooo that..."

topic resurrection

I had an old aluminum frying pan with the white enamel backing. Jab the handle into the ground and start peppering it with .22's from a buckmark and a ruger. They sail through the aluminum with a satisfying clunk. Sharp edges on the other side though!!! :)

but when i was a teenager i used to shoot paper cups filled with gasoline and lit on fire at night with a 22 at about 50 yrds. it lights up the night, let me tell you. i was smart enough to only do this in the winter with about a foot of snow on the ground

that sounds like fun.my brother in-law has a membership at a outdoor range and at the end of the summer people bring out their old appliances and also the big guns with tracers.real cool specially towards dusk when you can really see those tracers,not to mention see the appliances getting torn up. :D

My personal favorite target is a California license plate after you've moved and become a resident of another state. Just using my freedom of expression in a ballistically artistic way, I guess.

My old neighbor would shoot those small green propane tanks with a road flare strapped to them... :eek:

A college buddy would shoot explosives in sched 80 pipe with his 30-378, his parents ran a powder company... :eek:

A little too extreme for me...

I just save up my milk jugs, and pizza plates from the dollar tree.

Bowling Pins...They Rock, and they're cheap...Go to the local alley and ask for old ones...The dude I asked looked at me like I was nuts and gave me 11 of them.

I used to shoot in Bolwing Pin matches...The ones where you had to knock them (5ea placed 12" apart on table) off the table (25yards) as fast you can at the sound of the horn...SOunds easy?

Bowling Pins make good targets AND practice, as you have to hit the "meaty" part" otherwise you'll just knock it over (rules were the clock didn't stop until the pins were OFF the table).

Just my .02

:)

I havent seen anyone mention the spin targets sold at wally world . They have three 2 inch steel squares hung from a frame and they make a nice ping sound when you hit them . We paint ours with orange on both sides then turn them around when the paint wears off one side . I've used them to teach my kids to shoot 22s and had a great time myself too . No they dont explode or burn but they last a long time for cheap .

I shot a can of black powder once with my .50BMG target rifle.
It made a WHUMP and an orange flash and a big cloud of smoke.:D
"Is that a black powder rifle?"
"Yeah, I've shot black powder with it!" :D

Last edited:
My brother and I have shot some interesting stuff over the years.Everytime I go visit we find cool stuff to shoot.We shot an old polaroid camera one time with 12gauge buck shot,that was pretty impressive.We always fill up coffee cans with water and put the lid on to shoot with my .40 S&W as well as gallon jugs.One time we mixed a batch of quikrete and filled up some soda cans and left them over night.They shatter when you shoot em with a pistol,pretty cool.
I think by far our favorite are dayglo orange spray paint cans.One time we even shot a can of butane lighter fluid.BOOOOOMMMM!!!!It scared the crap out of us.The little concrete yard animals like bunnies and squirrels are really fun to shoot with the desert eagle.They just kinda evaporate.

Nerf football

My kid introduced me to the fun of shooting a nerf football across a field the other day. Them things take a lot of rounds before statring to fall apart. Every time you hit it it bounces all over. We went to the dollar store and picked up four of them and tossed all of them out into a field first one to get his to the edge of the field one... damn kid beat me.

Back