what 9mm powder for warmer loads?

You might want to use magnum pistol or small rifle primers with HS-6 if you have them. It has a reputation for being hard to ignite. Perhaps that doesn't matter in a small case like 9mm.

$29 a pound is cheap now? :eek: It has only been a few years since I bought powder for $19 a pound (Green Dot and Power Pistol) at Cabela's.

I remember buying powder at $18 to $19 a lb when I started reloading in the mid 2000s. Here the last couple years though, it seems like powder has been around $28 to $32 per lb for what I have been buying, varget, benchmark, reloader 17, and now HP-24, N340 and the like. The N340 I jus bought was 37.99 for 1lb, not including tax, shipping, and haz-mat... total was 66.21 for 1lb :eek:.... My favorite shop does not carry vihtavuori and the 2 that do in my area are out....

You might want to use magnum pistol or small rifle primers with HS-6 if you have them. It has a reputation for being hard to ignite. Perhaps that doesn't matter in a small case like 9mm.

$29 a pound is cheap now? :eek: It has only been a few years since I bought powder for $19 a pound (Green Dot and Power Pistol) at Cabela's.
I will keep that in mind for the HS6, thank you. I actually have a decent amount of small rifle primers.... wish they were small pistol instead..

Good choice with the Lyman manual, lots of good 9mm data.
I don't push them all the way to the top of the data, but N340 is far nicer to shoot than PP.
HS-6 with a magnum primer is another low blast choice.
Funny, W231 is one of the top speed powders for 9mm/115 according to Lyman data.
W
Hope to hear a range report.

When Hogdon powder was still primarily Gov Surplus,my local gun store sold me H-4831 for about $2and 50 cents a lb,bring your own bleach bottle.

One thing I have noticed as the years fly by.....

So many times we needed to recognize "THESE ARE the "Good Old Days"

Appreciate them while you live them

When Hogdon powder was still primarily Gov Surplus,my local gun store sold me H-4831 for about $2and 50 cents a lb,bring your own bleach bottle.

One thing I have noticed as the years fly by.....

So many times we needed to recognize "THESE ARE the "Good Old Days"

Appreciate them while you live them
That is 100% the truth. Don't ever expect things to be better than they are, don't take them for granted, make the best of what you have in the now.

I would guess for heavy projectiles Accurate #7 or #9 would be worth a try. For a good performing powder across the bullet weights I would use WSF.

So to get best performance with HS-6 and or a clean full burn a magnum primer is recommended?

That’ has been my experience.

Ramshot Silhouette is my current fave. Longshot is my 2nd. Both HS6 and Power Pistol are flashy - otherwise great powders. I prefer very little flash.
I run 125gr Brazos Hitek coated right at 1040fps from a 3.1" barrel. I haven't chrono'd a 4" barrel velocity but I'm guessing it would be right at 1100fps.

I have tried many, but certainly not all. Nobody has mentioned my two favorites. Accurate #5 and Win Autocomp. They feel (thats how I measure things) very similar. A slight preference for #5 but the good thing about Autocomp is availability which is a major factor these days.

Well, I got my hands on N340 and Power Pistol. Have not been able to find BE-86, but but a few buck in my wallet in case I do. Going to load some test loads up to try tomorrow, weather permitting...

Well, I got powders and did testing. Power Pistol was what I was looking for, although I am not a huge fan of the bright yellow flash. N340 and hp-38 seemed like they were in the same ballpark, gonna work with them a little more now that I have a good load locked down velocity is just lower than I was looking for. Power pistol seems to have dried up, still looking for more. Also grabbed some Accurate #7 to try out since it was well recommended several times.

Thanks for all the help

BE86, like Power Pistol, with flash suppressors, very good for high velocity loads.

Yes, BE-86 is just flash-suppressed Power Pistol (PP was formally called BE-84, I believe).

But evidently, the addition of the flash suppressant also made BE-86 a faster propellant than Power Pistol. This is according to an Alliant rep here on TFL a few years ago. It is also from personal experience. I have been using PP for years and have been using BE-86 for a year or two. Although BE-86 is excellent stuff and I am pleased with its performance; it's not quite Power Pistol. BE-86 comes up a little short of Power Pistol velocities. This is not to say that BE-86 is not "very good for high velocity loads." Just saying that they are slightly different propellants.

Blue dot is an old standby for high performance 9mm but it fills the case and needs to be compressed to get it into 9.

Back