what 9mm powder for warmer loads?

On the Brian Enos (sp?) forum, they really like WSF. It's a good powder, I just haven't been able to find much load data.

I would probably use Power Pistol or AA#7.

Get your hands on the December 2020/January 2021 issue of Shooting Times. They have an article on fast 9mm handloads.

If VV powders give you what you are looking for.there are 7000 gr in a pound.
Even if you were using a 7 gr charge ,thats 1000 per pound. It spreads the cost per round pretty thin.
(Caution: I only used a 7 gr charge as an example that would make the math really easy. It has nothing to do with any published or suggested load)

Look in a couple of loading manuals, Lyman has a lot of loads, Pick the ones with highest velocity and test them. Do not exceed max. loads. Pretty easy process.

I haven't tried every powder on the market, but I think you would like Power Pistol.
It gives good velocity and has a bright flash and loud report so you will feel it.

I don't like flash and blast, so I would use N340 for high velocity.

HS6 is fast but dirty.

Very very helpful, thank you. I was leaning towards power pistol, however if I can get the velocity without extra flash and or blast that puts N340 in the front running. N350 seems to perform slightly better, however from what I was reading N350 like a little bit of compression, or more than n340 and that n340 is a better all around powder. Also with N340 bein a tad faster burning I would anticipate it performing better in my compact and sub compact barrels.

FYI, it's spelled Hodgdon, not Hodgins or Hodings.

What speed you'll get depends on what exact bullet you use and its OAL.

Not sure what data you're looking at because I don't see a 115 grain bullet at 1199 fps with Accurate #7 in the Western load data. What manual are you using for this?
Fixed spelling , sorry, I was working too fast. Also should have been 1166 with the sierra fmj.

data from westerns website page 8
http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/WesternLoadGuide1-2016_Web.pdf

I am in the group of people suggesting Power Pistol. I am getting 1300 fps with a 115 grain hollow point and I am still within Hornady's published data. My finished length is a little longer than what theirs is, but they fit all my mags and all my handguns as well as my wife's 9mm.

I am using mixed brass (winchester, Fiochi and Blazer, Federal GMM small pistol primers. The winchester brass gets the highest velocity cause it is much thicker than the other two and has less case capacity. This does not seem to effect safety in my particular instance though.

Power Pistol isn't the cleanest burning powder, but it is far and away one of the best powders for 9mm Luger

Look in a couple of loading manuals, Lyman has a lot of loads, Pick the ones with highest velocity and test them. Do not exceed max. loads. Pretty easy process.
Ok ok, uncle uncle, I give, I finally bit the bullet, bought a Lyman manual today, should be here Monday. I also need to get an updated lee in the near future, mine is the 2007 edition.

Shadow9mm said:
Ok ok, uncle uncle, I give, I finally bit the bullet, bought a Lyman manual today, should be here Monday. I also need to get an updated lee in the near future, mine is the 2007 edition.

Lee just copies older data from other companies. I would suggest getting the manual of the bullet manufacturer you use most. Powder companies usually publish data online:

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/
http://www.accuratepowder.com/load-data/
https://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/index.aspx

Lee just copies older data from other companies. I would suggest getting the manual of the bullet manufacturer you use most. Powder companies usually publish data online:

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/
http://www.accuratepowder.com/load-data/
https://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/index.aspx
For rifle I find myself using hornady most and have purchased the cartridges I use in their electronic manual.

For handguns I don't have one yet. I'm currently just using what I can find. So far that has been hornady XPT 124, Hornady FMJ 115, and Berry Plated in 115g. I am looking into polymer coated lead in the future. I used Winchester 115 hollow base FMJ years back and really liked it, but they are unobtanium right now. For now I need to track down some primers, i only have about 150 left, just enough try some new powders and work some loads up. and yes, berrys plated recommends a max velocity of 1250fps, so they should be fine.

BE-86 seems to be very similar to Power Pistol, but with a flash suppressant. Scuttlebutt is that it's used by major ammo makers for some of their self-defense loads.

1190 fps is an Over Max load of HP38 with a 115 according to Hodgdon. I'm think manual differences as it's only 23 FPS.
So is 1047 for a 124. Close enough to be a manual difference thing though.
9mm NATO with its 124 grain jacketed bullet is considered "Hot" and +P by SAAMI. Runs about 1250ish FPS. Nobody publishes what powder they use to get it though. Keep in mind that US ammo is SAAMI spec. European is CIP spec and that is a bit higher than SAAMI.
Longshot, Win572 and HS-6 Max loads go over 1200 with a 115.
"...able to find much load data..." Hogdon's site has lots of WSF 9mm data.

"...[not] able to find much load data..." Hogdon's site has lots of WSF 9mm data.

Thank you. :) I have not looked there in a couple of years. It used to be a vacuum. I have 8 pounds of WSF that I bought cheap about 10 years ago. It'll be nice being able to use it without "winging it".

(I have used it before in revolver cartridges, using Herco load data and being conservative with it.)

Last edited:
Ok, so I think I am settled Got kind of a first second third string thing going so I have some options depending on what I can find.

First string N340 and BE-86

Second string Power Pistol, N350, 3n37

third String HP-38, HS-6

Last edited:
Another vote for HS6. A minimum charge (5.9 gns) gives me 1090 FPS with a 125gn LRN :eek:. And that’s out of a cz P07, whose barrel isn’t quite 4 inches. I had a mid-loaded charge (6.4gn iirc) when I loaded using Dardas cast projectiles. I never chronoed that, but it was wonderfully accurate and recoiled similar to SD ammo. When dardas went out of business and I started casting myself, I tried a handful of rounds loaded to my standard load and immediately noticed the first magazine that they were quite warm. I chucked the rest and changed my standard load to 5.9-6.0 gns. The profile of the lee 356 125 LRN must be significantly different, being a projectile more likely to raise peak pressure. My current load at starting charge weight is a smidge softer recoiling than the load I used with dardas projectiles, but not by much.

All this rambling to say that HS6 will get you where you want to go. And it used to be one of the cheaper/more economical powders. I don’t think that’s the case anymore.

Well, I found some Vihtavuori N340... Midway actually had it in stock. However it did cost me $66.21 for 1lb, after shipping, hazmat fee, and tax..... But it should load almost 1300 rounds. Hopefully by that time Things will have settled down a bit and I can find some locally.

Also found some Power Pistol, but that will be a 2hr drive....

Another vote for HS6. A minimum charge (5.9 gns) gives me 1090 FPS with a 125gn LRN :eek:. And that’s out of a cz P07, whose barrel isn’t quite 4 inches. I had a mid-loaded charge (6.4gn iirc) when I loaded using Dardas cast projectiles. I never chronoed that, but it was wonderfully accurate and recoiled similar to SD ammo. When dardas went out of business and I started casting myself, I tried a handful of rounds loaded to my standard load and immediately noticed the first magazine that they were quite warm. I chucked the rest and changed my standard load to 5.9-6.0 gns. The profile of the lee 356 125 LRN must be significantly different, being a projectile more likely to raise peak pressure. My current load at starting charge weight is a smidge softer recoiling than the load I used with dardas projectiles, but not by much.

All this rambling to say that HS6 will get you where you want to go. And it used to be one of the cheaper/more economical powders. I don’t think that’s the case anymore.
HS-6 is relatively cheap. The shop I usually buy at has it for around $29 per pound, same as HP-38. The HP-38 seemed on the dirtier side, and HS-6 is supposed to be as well from what I have read.

Back