what 9mm powder for warmer loads?

Shadow9mm

So I am getting back into 9mm after a few years, been loading other stuff, 9mm was just not worth it at the time. Looking at 115 and 124, not interested in 147s.

I decided to try HP-38. So far results, at max out of a 4in barrel.
1190 for 115g
1041 for 124

I was hoping to be over 1200 for 115 and over 1100 for 124, and use the same powder for both, I'm not sure if that is unrealistic. Also looking for a powder that will not break the bank, vihtavuori seems to be $5 to $10 per lb more around here.

I did some cross referencing, lee, hodgins, and hornady and found a few powders that will put both in the 1200fps range any thoughts on these powders? Powders in green are listed at over 1200fps for both. I am not looking to go over SAAMI specs, no +P or +P+ loads. Just get the best performing powder, relative to velocity, without going over max.

Update, ordered N340 as my first choice, and created kind of a string of options depending on what I can find.

First string N340 and BE-86

Second string Power Pistol, N350, 3n37

third String HP-38, HS-6

attachment.php

Attachments

• powders.png
    powders.png
    34.6 KB · Views: 433
Last edited:
HS-6 will get you there as well as Accurate #7. Can’t speak of other powders as that’s what I’ve used for hotter 9mm loads.

Is +P a problem? What gun are you using? Is it rated for +P?
In short, no +P. Both my 9s are rated for +P, however both recommend limiting +P ammo as it will wear the gun out faster. As I intend to practice regularly with these loads staying within SAAMI specs.

You’re going to have to give something cause to get where you want it’s going to cost. Be it money or wear and tear.

In short, no +P. Both my 9s are rated for +P, however both recommend limiting +P ammo as it will wear the gun out faster. As I intend to practice regularly with these loads staying within SAAMI specs.

What guns are you using?

What increases wear on a gun is increased recoil, not a small couple K increase in chamber pressure. Even if you find a powder that gives you the speed you want at standard operating pressure, the recoil associated with the faster bullet speed is what will wear out the gun faster. More recoil means your slide moves rearward faster and hits the frame harder.

I'll ask again: what guns are you using?

What guns are you using?

What increases wear on a gun is increased recoil, not a small couple K increase in chamber pressure. Even if you find a powder that gives you the speed you want at standard operating pressure, the recoil associated with the faster bullet speed is what will wear out the gun faster. More recoil means your slide moves rearward faster and hits the frame harder.

I'll ask again: what guns are you using?
G19 5th gen, Ruger LC9s, possibly a P365 in the near future, but I would prefer it be safe in any production 9mm. Similar to warmer or full power non +p factory loads.

As others have mentioned, there are powders that will get you to your goal. The downside is recoil, wear and tear, and very little return on your investment.

a paper target is not going to care more of it was hit by a 115 gr bullet at 1200fps than the same bullet at 1190fps.
Steel plates do not care either.

As others have mentioned, there are powders that will get you to your goal. The downside is recoil, wear and tear, and very little return on your investment.

a paper target is not going to care more of it was hit by a 115 gr bullet at 1200fps than the same bullet at 1190fps.
Steel plates do not care either.
Recoil is not an issue, its a 9mm.... Wear and tear is a given as well, all firearms will wear out eventually. With that said I don't want to accelerate things beyond the intended design parameters and prematurely wear out the firearm. Thus within SAAMI specs, not +P.

If a paper target does not care, why not just work DOWN from starting loads and shoot the lightest most anemic load that will cycle the gun.

For me reloading is about several things. Cost savings, reliable ammo, precise ammo, and being able to tailor my loads and maximize cartridge potential. I don't want to work up anemic loads for target practice.

I guess I should rephrase my response.
You are already loading pretty much to factory published velocity, there is little real world return on investment to gain by working toward another few FPS, other than just trying it for fun.

I guess I should rephrase my response.
You are already loading pretty much to factory published velocity, there is little real world return on investment to gain by working toward another few FPS, other than just trying it for fun.
Which is why I asked for recommendation on powders that can perform better.... Not how to push powders beyond factory specs, or make a +P or +P+ load to hit my velocity goals. Not if i should do it, or if its worth doing. Simply recommendation on powders that perform better in the 115 and 124g weight classes.

I found a few powders that look promising but don't have any experience with them and though someone here might share their experience with these powders or have a recommendation for a powder that I missed.

I clarified my original post.

FYI, it's spelled Hodgdon, not Hodgins or Hodings.

What speed you'll get depends on what exact bullet you use and its OAL.

Not sure what data you're looking at because I don't see a 115 grain bullet at 1199 fps with Accurate #7 in the Western load data. What manual are you using for this?

I haven't tried every powder on the market, but I think you would like Power Pistol.
It gives good velocity and has a bright flash and loud report so you will feel it.

I don't like flash and blast, so I would use N340 for high velocity.

HS6 is fast but dirty.

I load all my 124 gr. ball with either Herco or (now discontinued)
HS-7 for full power loads for over 30 years.
I've yet to work or load a 115 gr. in a 9mm.

JT

Isn't it usual to consider the recommended charges and resultant velocities as valid only if you use the same gun as did the developer of the data?

Wouldn't it be useful to chronograph whatever charges you choose in your gun to establish your end result?

Back