what 45 ammo do you carry?

Federal 230 grain Hydro-shocks. Because:

It's an effective load.
It feeds effortlessly in my gun.
It shoots tiny groups.
It shoots tiny groups exactly to point of aim on my fixed sight gun.

Thanks everyone ive chosen what i will carry but dont want to say as some might think i made a wrong choice.

One more question :D

For practice ammo is monarch 45 ammo good? Or should i stick with wwb, federal and umc? Does anyone know the fps on monarch? Any feedback is appreciated as always. Academy has some almost the same price as 9mm monarch looks good at least but does it perform?

I can't comment on the quality of Monarch ammo.
What I normally tell people is to select their defensive ammo and then look for a FMJ type round with the ballistics as close to your defensive ammo as possible. You want to fire the same bullet weight at the same velocity as your defensive loads or as lose to it as possible. Winchester is now making that a reality with their latest line of ammo, but you can do the same yourself by checking the ballistics of ammo form each manufacturer.

Federal 230 grain Hydrashok because it has proven reliable and accurate in my P220. After having fired an expensive amount of it to test for reliability I bought quite a bit of it as my 45 defensive ammo supply.

I practice with lead bullet reloads that duplicate the recoil and POA, but the real stuff is reserved for carry. When I eject a chambered round of the carry ammo to swap it for practice, I toss it into a bowl, and when I get a bowl full of them I load up a mag for 'recertification' testing. At the rate I get to shoot lately my defensive ammo supply should last until 2030 at least :)

I don't want to go to the trouble/expense of chasing the latest and greatest in 45 defensive ammo because what I have now has proven reliable in MY gun. Is it effective? I hope I never have to find out, but I already know it will make a .451 hole, and it has a certain track record of success. No round can ever be 100%.

Generic Federal 230gr HPs that resemble ball FMJ.

I carry a 1911 and want the closest to ball.

I have shot thousands of rounds of this stuff thru my 1911s and never had a failure.

Don't need/want +P, as it alters the functionality of my CCO and I have to tune the springs.

Winchester PDX1 is what worked best in my P220. I mostly carry a pair of revolvers now but that's whats in my 45. They are expensive and I would not say they are superior in anyway to many of the sd rounds available but they consistently shot better for me in my pistol. I have full confidence shooting fmjs as well though as well as most of the rounds listed in this thread. Just find what works best for you. So many great choices available

Back