Well, I started the give-away process yesterday evening.

After your alone time at the range with it, if you don't know the boys, take the ones old enough to go and the Father with you to the range the next time. That way, they will have a memory of you to go along with the firearm, and a working knowledge of it as well.
Very nice thing to do for that family!

Hello redline494,,,

...take the ones old enough to go and the Father with you to the range the next time.

That's the general plan my friend,,,
My friend just joined my rifle/pistol club.

Sometime late this summer we'll go out shooting,,,
I'll let all three boys fire a few rounds,,,
Then give it to their Dad.

I'll take a nice picture of it and the new owners,,,
That will go on my den wall as a memento.

Aarond

On a more morbid note, this post makes me realize I need to make a spreadsheet of all my guns and list brand, model, serial number, acquisition cost, and approximate value. My wife has no interest in shooting and I'd hate to think what she would do with them if something happened to me unexpectedly. I think this is a wise thing to do for all of us here.

Hello stephen426,,,

There's a T-shirt you'll see at gun shows that reads:

Oh Lord, Please don't let my widow sell my guns for the price I told her I paid for them.

Aarond

aarondhgraham said:
There's a T-shirt you'll see at gun shows that reads:

Oh Lord, Please don't let my widow sell my guns for the price I told her I paid for them.

Aarond

Only 9:00 am and you have been awarded the post of the day! LOL :D:D:D

Last edited:
Dakota.potts said:
For this reason, I can't bring myself selling things left behind to me.
My great-grandfather had a psaltery and bow made for him and left it to me before he died. He told me if I didn't want to play it, I could sell it if times got tough and it would bring in at least a few hundred dollars.

There were times where I wanted (or needed) the money but never even thought about selling it.

Maybe if there were a true family emergency or something where no physical possession is valuable enough not to get rid of, I would sell it and maybe then I'd understand what he meant by "needing" the money. But I can't ever seem to consider actually selling it.

This. I try and give things to people who will appreciate them but I would never fault someone from giving or selling something I gave to them.

Cool idea

I do remember and still have my first rifle a BB Gun i got from a family friend old man without kids of his own

Give away

That is a fine thing your doing! Thought of you the other day as I was in town taking my wife to a follow up Drs appointment. It was hard, but I was able to stay away from the evil gun shop!

Generosity is a virtue. Good on you. Think through the picture idea. Maybe get a few pics and make a mural to hang on the wall.

Back