Well, I started the give-away process yesterday evening.

Excellent!

I've never regretted a good gift given to a good person. The more the item meant to be, the more I later enjoyed the act of giving.

For those who might not have anyone to give them to, an alternative is to donate them to a local gun club or a gun rights group to auction off and raise money for a good cause.
Fortunately I have some folks who will get my stuff via an addition to a will.
But without conditions.
If you're gonna' give, give.
No restrictions, or it's not really giving.

I had a free day off yesterday,,,

I had a free day off yesterday,,,
So I got Bertha out of her case and cleaned her up.

Oklahoma is in the grip of that ice storm,,,
So the University I work for closed down for a day.

It was a good thing as I found one dot of rust on her barrel,,,
I got that taken care of so she's ready for the range.

Two mornings after and I'm sure I made a good decision,,,
I'm thinking that I'll have a few range trips with her,,,
And some time around July/August do the deed.

It will definitely be a range trip with him and all three boys,,,
We'll each shoot a few 5-round groups with it,,,
Then I'll formally transfer ownership.

Thanks for the positive words gentlemen,,,
They have helped me decide I'm doing the right thing.

Aarond

I think its perfectly fine to put conditions on the gift, especially if you are intending to start an heirloom tradition. The gift is more than just the gun. Lots more, but not really a tangible thing.

Threads like this choke me up, and if I dwell on it, bring tears to my eyes (alone, at home, where no one will see them :o), because they make me remember the guns I have received, and the loved ones who left them behind for me to remember them by.

I know that there are some of us who only think of firearms as tools, which, of course, they are, but to me, some of them are intensely personal items.

If you get it, you get it. IF you don't there's no way I can explain it to you, other than that when I use my grandfather's Ithaca, or my Dad's Colt, though they are both long gone, they are with me still.

This is yet another reason why I detest the "turn them all in" gun banners. If they had their way, they would steal from me, precious memories, things beyond any earthly price, and worse, they would steal them from my children, and their children as well.

Family isn't just blood & legally defined relatives, its also those whom we choose, and who chose us in return. Passing along guns, or anything with significant memories and emotional attachment is something we do, and understand.

History, tradition, honor, the things that make us, "us", last as long as there are people to remember them, and us.

you're a good citizen, Aaron.
Your requirements for acceptance seem perfectly reasonable.

I completely understand wanting to fire each one last time before giving them away.

Good job, aarond! I get to see my share of old guns walk into my shop, typically under two circumstances:
1- the owner died and now his kids/grandkids/spouse drag them in and want to sell them, or
2- the older gentleman brings them in because he is going to a rest home and can't take them with him.

Fortunately, I have kids to give my guns to. But even so, I wonder how many of my rifles will wind up in some used gun rack because my children or grandchildren wanted a new toy.

aarondhgraham said:
WyMark,,,
I drink at Mexico Joe's in Stillwater.

If you are ever visiting I can't promise you a gun,,,
But I'll be happy to treat you to a shot of fine sippin' tequila.

And if I were 4 or 500 hundred miles closer I would take you up on that. My tequila days are long past, but some good conversation over a decent single malt and a beer or three would be well worth the trip. Thanks.

Good stuff man. I think it's great to offer your friend the gun. I think your conditions are also righteous. Have fun shooting it for the last time, and enjoy the giving of it.

I think a lot of people that share the bounty, your a good man. My Father in law gave his 1917 Eddystone to his best friend several years ago. His friend has passed on now but as Paul Harvey says "Now the rest of the story",

It turns out my FIL used the rifle during WWII as a soldier and when they discharged him he just took it home. He served on a ship in the pacific as an Army Signalman and was in the battles of IWO JIMA and OKINAWA and fired a bunch at the kamikazes'!!

Kudos to you good sir. That is a truly selfless gesture. I also believe your caveats are well within reason. Your memory will live on with those guns like the history and memories tied to them already.

My Father handed down his firearms to me premortam with the same restrictions. I would never dream of selling them. I do plan to add to the collection, but i will always consider them a family arsenal that can be added to through the generations.

"the king is not for sale"

No less a figure than Jeff Cooper put in print that his rifles "were not for sale" and he would find deserving homes for all of them. I'm not sure where Cooper wrote that, I will look through the archives. I'm not sure if Cooper was able to manage it, but I suspect he certainly was working on it.

Yes, heirloom guns are special. Were I to have to pick one and surrender all others, it would be such a rifle, one that both my dad and grandad carried. When I pick up an oldtimer firearm, I often wonder how someone could have parted with it, and what stories it could tell were it to be able to speak. You have created circumstances where your guns stories can be retold.

Your stories and an heirloom atmosphere will go with your guns, and your decision and actions are of a fine honorable order. Well done.

correction

Coopers comment I referenced earlier was "The Queen is not for sale" and it is in "The Art of the Rifle." It is the last sentence in the first chapter, where just previous he makes reference to finding "appreciative comrades" for his rifles in his advanced age.

Fortunately, I have kids to give my guns to. But even so, I wonder how many of my rifles will wind up in some used gun rack because my children or grandchildren wanted a new toy.

For this reason, I can't bring myself selling things left behind to me.
My great-grandfather had a psaltery and bow made for him and left it to me before he died. He told me if I didn't want to play it, I could sell it if times got tough and it would bring in at least a few hundred dollars.

There were times where I wanted (or needed) the money but never even thought about selling it.

Maybe if there were a true family emergency or something where no physical possession is valuable enough not to get rid of, I would sell it and maybe then I'd understand what he meant by "needing" the money. But I can't ever seem to consider actually selling it.

Aarond as i read your op i thought of my sil and my three year old grandson.
about a year ago i gave a mid 80s win 670 in my favorite cal 3006 with a bushnell 3200 elite on top. at the time i could no longer take its recoil due to shoulder injury. he (sil) had never used a cf rifle before. when we went to the range his excitement "i love this gun its so accurate" still brings tears,but i know i did the right thing.

my grandson was over one day and i asked him if he wanted to see my big boy toys. of course he said yes. we went up to the room that my gun cabinet was and showrd him both my prerem marlin mod 60s. one is g glenfield wih squirls pressed into the stock. his face beamed when i told him that his dad has one just like them and when he is bigger the three of us will rach carry one to shoot and also that one of my is his that im holding just for him.
ever since he wants to see more of my toyd.

Good call. With regard to hobbies like ours I've always said "each one teach one" to keep it alive.

I was the happy beneficiary of "donations" like this when I was a youngster- a Winchester Model 41, A Mossberg M-44, a couple of Stevens Buckhorn single shot .22, and so on.

Acts like this are what will keep this hobby going.

Everyone on this thread should be thinking about those sons-of-friends who don't shoot, haven't been to a range, etc. Here's our opportunity.

well.........this gave me something to think about, i have no kids, i do have two nieces and a nephew, all in their 30's two of them will get their choice, and so far 3 great nieces and two great nephews and an unknown on the way, may need to buy more guns to pass down, my best shooting buddy had problems so i cant leave any to him.

good on you Aarond, and thanks

Back