Weapon lights

I've got a Streamlight Polytac on an offset mount on my AR, but with my go-to weapon, my EDC, I simply keep my Sportsman Extreme close by.

There are a lot of good comments in this thread. I think a weapon mounted light is a double edged sword. Lets you see your target, but if not used right it gives your position away.

Anyway, I don't like pistol lights. But I have them on a couple ARs for outdoor use or indoors only if necessary.

I've had luck with the Streamlight TLR HL (model IIRC). I also, have a Vltor light mount with a 4Sevens Maelstrom light for longer throw. I also like the Fenix TK21 and TK15.

Well, I learned the following in this thread:

1) Unless its your job, dont go prowling around in the dark. If it is your job to prowl around in the dark I take it you have better resources than an anonymous internet forum.

2) Just turn on the lights.

3) Motion sensing lights is the way to go. I just saw a set at Costco for 35 dollars. If you really care about security nothing like a set of motion sensing lights.

One thing I wanted to add. I once read about a guy, maybe in that SWAT mag I think, who took advantage of the dark by hanging a cargo net on the stairwell at night creating a soft barrier for any burglar who wants to run up the stairs to the bedroom.

@johne....if you use your WML to blind someone you are pointing your gun at them...you don't always want to do that.....

That said, most of my experience with a WML is for room clearing and searching spaces...works good when looking for bad guys, freaks out the non-badguys and draws complaints for law enforcement.

#26 from MarkCo is spot-on. A WML is a great tool to have but you have to know what you are doing. Threat identification is just a tad crucial.

There are assumptions in our community about how much time we're going to have to prepare ourselves in a defensive situation. We may not have time to gear up, turn on all the lights, barricade in and scare-pump the 870. Equipment consolidation may make a huge difference.

I prefer a weapons mounted light...

I am not a SEAL or DELTA or even a LEO. However I am a person strongly invested in my own life, and firearms. I have land where I can and do practice shooting at night.

If someone else chooses a hand held light, more power to them, they both work the same way... however I prefer to have both hands on the gun. I do not feel 100% comfortable with self defense shooting with only 1 hand on the gun if I can have two.

I think it is important to know how to properly use a light, and use it with a pressure switch for quick searching, rather than to leave it flipped on. I would bet most of us live in rather normal homes, and don't need to search or shoot across a basketball court sized room. Yes lights can "give away your position" but my posotion most likely is going to be locked in my bedroom with the police on the phone. Even still... I would bet based on most of our homes.. theres going to be a lot more things that give away our position. Creaking bed frames, floor boards, stairs.. night lights, our footsteps. Even the motion of our bodies, in a dark quite situation, is pretty easy to detect motion.

Personally I am not a super Delta team six bravo ninja.... nor do I suspect that super delta team six bravo ninja's will be invading my home. Be prepared to defend your life the way YOU see fit. I laugh and shake my head when guys argue against using tritium night sights because they will give away their position because in my head I picture my average customer who is a 30-50yr old heavy set beer drinking football watching man trying to tip toe in his super delta team six bravo ninja pajamas covered in molle and velcro and be totaly stealth that a tiny faint green dot would give him away first.:rolleyes:

I am not a SEAL or DELTA or even a LEO. However I am a person strongly invested in my own life, and firearms. I have land where I can and do practice shooting at night.

I applaud that. Professional training for night shooting... in my humble opinion is a must.

If someone else chooses a hand held light, more power to them, they both work the same way... however I prefer to have both hands on the gun. I do not feel 100% comfortable with self defense shooting with only 1 hand on the gun if I can have two.

I prefer both a hand held light that is on a lanyard (easily dropped) and a weapons light. You are correct, they do work the same way, however some of prefer not to sweep everything we look at with the muzzle.

Professional training is important and is fun. The majority of us cannot just by a piano and be a musician. Why do we think we buy a gun and know what we are doing?

Last edited:
I have mixed feelings about mounting a flashlight on either of the guns I use for home defense.

I don't have a WML on my HD handgun, but I do keep a small LED flashlight next to the bed. In my home, if I hear someone inside at night it would be very easy to see if my wife is next to me in the bed. If she is, I have already identified that you shouldn't be in my home.
In the dark, I have the advantage in my home and depending on the situation, I might use the flashlight.

I'm not clearing an apartment complex looking for a bad guy in a strange place with other people around.

Ok. Great arguments. For those of us considering a tactical light with a pressure switch on a rifle (Tavor), what brand would you recommend?

Just because you may have a light mounted on your handgun, doesn't mean that you have to use it each and every time you pick up the gun.

But, if you do have a light on your gun, there are appropriate times when it should be utilized. It's very important that you know that and are well-versed in their applications.

Training is important! If you haven't been trained in the use of a light on a gun, get some.

It all boils down to this. You either have a light on your gun.....or you don't. For me, the choice is simple. I choose to have a light.

Back