Weapon lights

Why not simply try it. Stand in a dark room and have someone enter with a 100 lumen flashlight, either hand held or on a gun. The walls don't need to be white. If the light happens to hit exactly in your eyes, you will be blinded. But if you are off to the side, the backsplash from the light will show the other person up enough that you can put an imaginary (I hope) bullet into him.

Jim

Have you guys ever been in the dark, with your eyeballs fully acclimated, then have someone with a modern combat light shine it in your face?
You're assuming he is facing you and looking directly into the light

You're also assuming you know exactly where he is before ever turning on the light

No matter how bright the light, you can still see it and deduce the position of the person holding it

As with most things, you can come up with an endless stream of pro or con scenarios. It seems many of which, in either direction, are usually very narrow in focus. Big pictures seem to be in short supply.

If your gun works OK with it on there, what can it hurt to have it? It gives you options that you dont have without it. You use it as you deem necessary and appropriate. Better to have the light and not need it, than to not, and really want it.

You're assuming he is facing you and looking directly into the light
Turn the light on, he will look. How is he going to shoot at you if he's not looking at you?

You're also assuming you know exactly where he is before ever turning on the light
No matter how bright the light, you can still see it and deduce the position of the person holding it
Two points that could be made against using a light at all. :rolleyes:

Until a person has done a significant amount of practice and training in no and low-light situations, I would make the assertion that their answers are ignorant and should be ignored. Problem for the OP is that he has no way to "see" the experience and training level of the responders in this thread. Even those who were or are LEO, for the vast majority, are not sufficiently trained, especially with lights and lasers.

My opinions and tactics have changed significantly on this topic over the years. Exposure to alternative methods such as offset light use and diversionary tactics experienced in Dry-fire, FOF/Sims and live fire both acting alone and in teams as well as matches shot at night are the best ways to experience and test what works and what does not work.

You may have heard people say that you need 200, 500 or 1000 rounds through a firearm before you rely on it for defense and, at a minimum, 50 rounds a month to maintain a minimum level of proficiency. The use of weapon mounted lights is an advanced tactic, and can certainly be done with total safety and with complete adherence to the 4 laws of gun safety, but the training is needed. Based on the data only about 1% of CCW holders and only about 15% of LEOs consistently complete the minimum amount of recommended monthly training. So, for most people, I will say yes, a WML is likely beyond their skillset.

Motion lights and remote controlled lights are likely a better and safer alternative for the average HD focused gun owner than a WML.

Until a person has done a significant amount of practice and training in no and low-light situations, I would make the assertion that their answers are ignorant and should be ignored. Problem for the OP is that he has no way to "see" the experience and training level of the responders in this thread. Even those who were or are LEO, for the vast majority, are not sufficiently trained, especially with lights and lasers.

+A bunch on this comment

Lots of useful conversation in this post and while I have experienced first hand having a flashlight and weapon in my face, I believe many made good points about knowing your surroundings. I am going to stick to my current practice of using a flashlight w/loop with my HD gun. I have no problem racking the slide on my shotgun or handling my pistol with this set up. Thank you all for posting.

I plan to take a HD course eventually. That said, I practice sweeping and checking corners of mine occasionally. I do have a TLR-1 on my P30, but I am not 100% I would use it. I suppose it depends on the situation. I can see well enough in my house in the dark to probably not need it.

Its kind of like a gun, better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

But as someone else said, I probably would go looking for trouble.

I have a Pentagon weapons light that I keep at 6: position on my carbine some times I swap it for a green laser . With a hand gun I use a a hand held light . I remember a story about SEALS having to clear some caves during operation anaconda in the Hindu Cush with their white lights because it was so dark their NOD's would not work . Some times a mounted light is practical sometimes not . I am looking into one of the back up lights that are about the size of a silver dollar for my Rem 870 that have 2 switches one for white light the other for red laser .

MarkCO, I agree in part.

Yes, training and experience are required to BEST utilize a light.
That said, in any defensive situation, positive ID of the threat is critical for both the defense and legal justification. I'm not saying that rolling around with a light constantly on is the best way to do things, but it does beat a literal shot in the dark.

Yes, training and experience are required to BEST utilize a light.
That said, in any defensive situation, positive ID of the threat is critical for both the defense and legal justification. I'm not saying that rolling around with a light constantly on is the best way to do things, but it does beat a literal shot in the dark.

Well raimius, I completely agree with your post. :D

A weapons mounted light is a GREAT tool to AUGMENT a handheld light.
I agree with this. I have a personal light on the nightstand for checking out things that go bump in the night, whether it's one of my kids, a pet, an animal outside, etc. I wouldn't want to use my pistol light for those things. But my pistol still does have a light on it, for the very rare case that it's needed.

For my situation of not being any kind of LEO I like having a light on my guns. I want to be able to ID who I am planning on shooting at. I have a secondary light handy if it is needed.

I tried a Nebo light that a guy said lasted on his 12ga. The two I bought were both DOA out of the package. Got a Streamlight TLR1s. Highly recommend Streamlight. Great product and great CS.

I have them on my work guns but not at home. At home I have dogs and light switches and plenty of flashlights if needed for house clearing....and my dogs clear the house like champs, smelling and hearing things that I dont....yes I have a lot of Fath in my dogs....

I installed a streamlight TLR3 on my HK45, and dissenting opinions notwithstanding I'm quite happy to have it mounted on my gun. You must be able to see what you might shoot at, given obvious scenarios like bad guys invade at night, and a dimly lit indoor range isn't a bad place to practice with it. For any given scenario, there might be other ways to ensure you can see what you might shoot at, but it seems to me a gun-mounted light is fail-safe for all reasonable home defense (non-LEO, non-CCW) scenarios, and the downsides are no worse than the downsides of alternatives (like, bad guy can see you too, or can guess where you are). It's really easy to flip on too, and on my full-size HK45 I can mount it far enough forward that it has no impact on my two-hand hold.

There are many threads on this site about the use of lights. I want to hear from people who have actually used the lights on a professional level. I see the police around here will blind them with the police car lights, but they dont shine flashlights at anyone.

My .357 magnum stoked with 125 grain full power loads will make all the light I need once I touch off six round into the poor tango who infiltrates my perimeter. :cool:

Seriously though, it's a Sure-Fire light that rides shotgun with the revolver on my nighstand for easy and quick target I.D.

I ordered one from china, for extremely cheap but extremely high lumen, a CREE of some sort. been sitting on my ar15 for 2000+ heavyweight loads. still works and have never changed the battery. are they a surefire? I dunno cause I don't have one, but it is BRIGHT and have no grets, took about 3 1/2 months to get here from china, but well worth it. it zooms in to such a tiny focused beam, I can see clearly over 100 yards away
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2Pcs-CREE-Q...-Mode-Zoomable-focus-AA-14500-B-/161146161973

fits well on Viking tactical mount
http://www.vikingtactics.com/product-p/vtac-mk4.htm

Back