We need more striker fired pistols!!

I think we need caseless ammunition. Less weight, more shots and fewer parts for the handgun (no extractor, no ejector or any springs related to them).

Another gun Made in Turkey. Not an exact knock-off of an existing gun, but
features from several.

Good price point at $329 MSRP (that's with one backstrap/one magazine).
If you want 3 backstraps and 3 mags-----$389 MSRP. I would expect retail on
it under $300/$350.

It will get some market share based on price. It sort of looks like the love child
of a Glock and a M&P, and it beats either by a solid $100.

The last new long gun designed to use an exposed hammer came out it 19th century.

The Browning BLR comes to mind, it didn't come out until the latter 20th century. So that statement is busted. :rolleyes:

I won't argue that we need more striker fired pistols, we need more of every kind of pistol. But I don't think we need more copies /clones of Glocks, or similar designs.

If you want to talk striker fired, lets do so, but don't think striker fired means just polymer framed service pistols.

I've got a striker fired pistol with a polymer grip frame. Will shoot a gnat off a flea's back at 150 yards if you do your part. The trigger pull is exceptionally good, short, light, and crisp. Might even be a couple of pounds pull, but feels like less. Pretty flat shooting, too, with a muzzle velocity in the 2500fps range. :D

Another of my striker fired pistols is all steel, (other than the grips), its a 9mm Luger.

Another of my striker fired pistols has a 100 round magazine.

I'm fine with the idea of more striker fired pistols. Don't give a rip about more copies of Glocks though.

What? this isn't unique?

https://www.ruger.com/products/security9/specSheets/3818.html

I go to the store to buy shampoo. They don't make the stuff that I bought the last time. There are 75 choices of the same thing in different colored and shaped bottles on the shelf. All promise the same thing, shiny, lustrous, etc. All cost about 35 cents to make including the bottle. All sell for at least $5.00

I go to the Gun Show. I see a row of striker fired polymer framed pistols. it takes about $100. to $150. dollars to make them and ship them. All sell for over $250-$500 dollars except HK and some of the higher ends. They pretty much all promise the same thing.

Some things have been changing though in the recent years. There are higher end poly guns now. That's not brand new but it's been a growing trend. Walther has been aiming for bullseye level accuracy in some of their poly guns. HK has been making very shootable and accurate poly framed guns. Better triggers as well. Others have been doing this as well. Charging more for it too.

tipoc

Seems to me that striker fired is simpler and easier to control than external hammer. Should be noted that the new Mossberg is striker fired. BTW how do you classify the internal hammer pistol? Such as the old Brownings, pocket Colts, and Ruger 22s? Are they hammer fired or striker fired (since all mechanism is internal)?
willr

They are hammer fired. They have a hammer and not a striker as you and others here have pointed out. You can refer to it as an internal hammer.

This is the case for example with the S&W Centennial revolver. They have internal hammers.

The main advantage of strikers in modern polymer handguns is the ease of manufacturing and maintenance. They are less expensive to manufacture, have fewer parts, and the striker mechanism is often modular and can be replaced as a unit. This has helped make them very popular in law enforcement and the military.

Seems to me that striker fired is simpler and easier to control than external hammer.

There is truth in that statement. It's another reason that they are popular.

At the same time they are less versatile. Those who are familiar with traditional double action revolvers, single action pistols and da/sa pistols find the versatility of those useful and familiar. Using the guns are more reliant on the shooter's skills than the gun.

tipoc

Seems to me that striker fired is simpler and easier to control than external hammer.

Seems to me that statement has more holes in it than my mother's knitted afghans. :rolleyes:

SOME might be, some aren't, and the reverse is just as true.

Some people think that "simpler" = fewer parts. While that is often true, it's not absolutely true 100% of the time. (unless your only criteria for simpler is fewer parts)

As far as "easier to control"?? That depends on WHAT specific guns and calibers you are talking about, and WHO is shooting them. And, of course, how you define "control". I've been shooting pistols for over 50 years, and I have never found any pistol where the external hammer, or lack of one had anything to do with controlling the gun. Other factors, yes, but never the hammer.

How do you shoot that the presence of absence of an external hammer makes a difference in your control of the gun? I just can't picture it...:confused:

I find it very reassuring to see a hammer as an indicator of cocked or loaded or readiness status, as well as being able to lower it for safety purposes.

My take on this is that the fella means that not having a hammer means you don't have to think about it. Is it cocked? How do I lower it? Will it snag on something? How do I use a decocker? Will it poke me in the love handles? etc.

Similar to how some think an external safety on a gun is too complex and just another thing to have to remember.

So no hammer=simpler. No external safety=simpler.

I think he was speaking of the handling characteristics and not the mechanical aspects.

Like I said there is some truth to that. But it only goes so far.

tipoc

Comments well-taken and relevant. One observation is that I have yet seen or heard of a striker DA pistol. It ought not to be too hard to design and manufacture.
willr

We all know it's all relative.

It's all relative. I didn't think I'd be happy with a striker fired cc gun until I got a Ruger SR9C. I shoot it better than him hammer fired Springfield XDE and it shoot anything I feed it. My first striker fired, I think it was a Walter, was very finicky on ammo.

Life is good.
Prof Young

Knowing whether the pistol is loaded and cocked is an important feature. However, the 1910/1914/1934 Mauser has just that. When cocked the striker shows at the rear of the slide -- can be both seen and felt. It could have been made with a chamber indicator, but wasn't.
willr

I'm curious what goes on in market research teams within companies that release these products. I mean, there has to be some development cost behind these new products, plus marketing and vendor exhibits and advertising -- that's not cheap.

I've always wondered that a bit too.
"Hey boss I think we should R+D, market, and release a striker fired gun"

"Ok. How is it going to be different than the 1,001 out there already?"

"Well"

"Please tell me we are not making another Glock knock off"

"Umm"

"Tell me how its going to be different"

"Well we are going to actually be able to use GLOCK MAGAZINES"

"Alright - green light it then"

I mean really... the major selling point is becoming compatibility? I would get that if it were an early knock off (I'm looking at the S+W Sigma line that was sued into changes) but we are like hundreds of knock-offs later and that is only with minimal hyperbole.

Cross compatibility of mags saves money in development and production costs.

Ruger's PC Carbine can use Glock mags. The other mags it takes are from a Ruger pistol that I can't name because I'd have to look it up to remember it. Ruger does not have to make 20 and 30 round mags for this carbine as Glock makes them.

Saves Ruger money.

A few million Americans already have a Glock mags sitting around their house. I have 6 of 'em and I haven't had a Glock for a year or so.

tipoc

I really like striker-fired guns.

I just get bored of them so fast compared to a nice DA/SA handgun. I don't know why. I feel I shoot better with DA/SA and sometimes I do. But I always shoot a Glock exceptionally well, for some reason.

EDC is an HK P30L.

Cross compatibility of mags saves money in development and production costs.

If the chosen mag design is in the public domain. If it is proprietary, you have to pay for the right to use it.

Back