water shortages

They put uranium on the outside of the hull? Jeez!

No, AFAIK, the tanks of JP and tanks of other liquids are generally just inside the hull skinning. They can be easily pumped around as ballast to correct a list due to damage on the other side...and if you have a fuel fire from a torpedo hit or the like, it's far better for it to be outside, rather than deep inside, which would turn the ship into a furnace, or, if fumes leaked, into a floating bomb.

I believe the Japanese learned the hard way not to put fuel tanks deep inside the ship in WWII. One of their carriers, Taiho, took a hit and had fumes go all through it, and then a spark somewhere pretty much blew up the whole thing at once.

One of the torpedoes hit Adm. Ozawa's flagship, the 31,000-ton carrier, the newest and largest floating air base in the Japanese fleet in a part where her armor is thickest. The explosion jammed the ship's forward aircraft elevator, and filled its pit with gasoline, water, and aviation fuel. However, no fire erupted, and the flight deck was unharmed. Ozawa was unconcerned by the hit and launched two more waves of aircraft. Meanwhile, a novice took over the damage control responsibilities. He believed that the best way to handle gasoline fumes was to open up the ship's ventilation system and let them disperse throughout the ship. This action turned the ship into a floating time bomb. At 1330, a tremendous explosion jolted Taihō and blew out the sides of the carrier.

Wide range of opinions...

So, I'll add some of mine to the mix.

We started with the water shortage in Georgia. Then we got into Global Warming, and at this point, we are now sinking the Taiho with exploding gas fumes. Wow! What a diverse group.;)

Water shortage: Drought. These things happen. They happen a bit more frequently nowdays because we have more people using more water than we used to. Here are a few tidbits; most people in the US bath multiple times per week. Some bathe every day, some even more than that. That uses water. More people than there used to be, more baths, more toilet usage, etc.

US govt mandates that a certain amount of water may NOT be used by humans, it must be reserved for fish.

And, in addition to keeping our cars nice and shiny, got any idea the largest crop raised in the US? Grass. Not the smoking kind, the lawn kind. There is more acreage under cultivation as lawn than there are for human food products in the USA. This uses alot of water as well.

Ok, you get a natural fluctuation in the amount of rainfall that reaches outside the average fluctuation, and you don't do anything about reducing usage, and you get a situation known as a shortage. Once the shortage is recognised, THEN govt calls for reduced usage. And some people panic.

Global warming: lots of arguments, even if some folks claim the debate is over, I don't believe their explanation. The idea that we, and we alone are responsible, and can do something about it completely overlooks a lot of natural things that we have nothing to do with, and no control over. In the last 30 years we have had several volcanic eruptions, just one of them spewed more "greenhouse gasses" into the air than mankind has done throughout our recorded history. And that is just one incident.

Even is you believe that man (and man alone) is responsible, why does that automatically make global warming a bad thing? I could do with generally milder winters. How about instead of all these people telling us what we have to do (and how we have to pay) to stop it, why are we not doing something to adapt to it.

Earth is a stable system, but stable in the dynamic sense. Things don't stay the same, there are highs and lows. When the highs or lows go beyond what we are used to, some folks start shouting about "global warming" or "global cooling", or what ever buzz words are popular at the time. Mankind can have an impact on our environment, but like mankind itself, it is only temporary.

Back