water shortages

It's called A PLANET, and it's very large, and we have nothing to do with how it operates!

Huh! Are you absolutely, positively, 100% sure about this? There was a thread posted a while back that discussed this very issue (extensively long if I recall properly) and enough info was posted to throw quite a bit of cold water on your statement.

Curiosity yields evolution...satiety yields extinction.

News flash- there is EXACTLY the same amount of water on this planet that was here 10,000 years ago (minus the few hundred gallons that were launched into space with the space programs of the various nations)

"Clouds don't block as much radiation as they block heat after some unknown and unknowable point."

The actual albedo has been under investigation for many years and is a huge unknown.
It is the amount of energy reflected back into space bythe atmosphere (including cloud cover).
This is only one of the factors that climate models have to estimate to drive the model.
We have good fossil evidence that the earth is actually much cooler than in the distant past. Like when all the CO2 in the coal and oil was NOT in the coal and oil but in the living material that we are now burning.

Solar irradiance has been slowly increasing for a while now.
While the actual increase is in fractions of a percent, it does not take very much to increase the temperature of the earth. See Stefan–Boltzmann law.

Hey, were did that guy(brickeye) come from? Someone who actually reads a little on the subject before posting an opinion, will wonders never cease.

BTW divemedic, the amount of water isn't the issue, the ratio of liquid water, ice and water vapor is the issue, a really big issue.

Still, it doesn't really matter. It's a bad idea for all sorts of reasons to continue to burn fossil fuel like it's an infinite resource. Guys who find one hole in the global warming theories and point at it and claim that we don't really need to change are missing the point. So global warming doesn't happen as predicted, so we get an extra ten years before we implode from lack of energy, big deal. The solutions are the same, even if the cause is open for debate at this time.

Let us not forget the power of Milankovitch (orbital forcing) Cycles.

Curiosity yields evolution...satiety yields extinction.

What I meant was that Al Gore and the eco weenies keep yammering on about how the Earth is running out of water. Horsehockey.

The planet is 2/3rds water. There is no reason for shortages period. The problem is the government likes to spend money on desalinization plants to put in their naval vessels, but the people to whom that are really responsible can just suck it up and conserve the most abundant resource that recycles itself naturally. Why is it that local, state, and federal levels don't spend money on ensuring a means to produce fresh water to the people? The cost to produce desalinization plants might be high. There can be no doubt that these machines would pay for themselves in short order. Typical stupid government waste and misdirected funds. If anything should be important to survival of the species it should be a reliable source of water production.

Let's see... air, water, food, and shelter, these things are the most important in that order. Not that many variables, seems even an idiot could grasp that concept, except government. :rolleyes:

A number of desalinization plants exist in California.
They are VERY expensive to run (nuke power sources could make them at least a little cheaper) and are intended for backup emergency use.
The Arabian gulf states have a decent number in operation so the actual technology is pretty available.

The problem is the government likes to spend money on desalinization plants to put in their naval vessels, but the people to whom that are really responsible can just suck it up and conserve the most abundant resource that recycles itself naturally. Why is it that local, state, and federal levels don't spend money on ensuring a means to produce fresh water to the people? The cost to produce desalinization plants might be high. There can be no doubt that these machines would pay for themselves in short order. Typical stupid government waste and misdirected funds. If anything should be important to survival of the species it should be a reliable source of water production.

Simple answer. Desalinization plants use a lot of power.

On naval vessels, that power is usually supplied by a nuclear reactor onboard, which has unlimited electrical power at very low relative cost of production. It's why our carriers and subs have desalinators, the reactor powers them.

Eco-weenies have been standing in the way of nuclear power plant production for decades. If not for them, we'd likely have safe, no-runaway-possible pebble bed reactors across the country by now, and the power would be cheap enough to run desalinators all over the coast.

We've had a much higher than average amount of rain this month. This is obviously caused by (and a benefit of) global warming. I am now a proponent of high carbon emissions, because it causes more rain, which is great for my State. :rolleyes:

What I meant was that Al Gore and the eco weenies keep yammering on about how the Earth is running out of water. Horsehockey.
The planet is 2/3rds water. There is no reason for shortages period.
We've had a much higher than average amount of rain this month. This is obviously caused by (and a benefit of) global warming. I am now a proponent of high carbon emissions, because it causes more rain, which is great for my State.
These posts show why science and critical thinking skills are crucial to the survival of the species. Y'all are twisting arguments you don't understand to make a point that makes no sense.

No one is arguing that the earth is "running out of water". The important factors are the state of that water (gas, liquid, or solid), the ratio of fresh water to salt water and the amount of that fresh water available to human civilization.

Just because the planet is 2/3 water doesn't mean the condition of that water is inconsequential.

Simple answer. Desalinization plants use a lot of power.
Now this is something very important that needs to be taken into consideration. Desalination - as well as the simple act of cleaning fresh water the point of potability - requires power. Getting water requires power. Storing water requires power. Unless you go to a natural source and drink straight from the stream then any water you drink requires energy and the more that's wasted the more energy needs to go into cleaning, transporting and storing recycled water for us to use.

Amazing how many things come down to energy. Like right now I need the energy to go hook up a new hot water heater, and don't know where it's going to come from.

Seriously though, the energy costs, hidden and direct, of any plan has to be seriously considered. That's a big problem with ethanol, takes too much total energy to produce.

No one is arguing that the earth is "running out of water".

Really? How about this:

The conference attendees are also discussing what to do after the Kyoto Protocol, an international agreement setting future greenhouse emissions targets for countries that agree to its terms. The United States refuses to join the Protocol for economic reasons. Scientists are saying one aspect of global warming could be a water shortage.

Scientists at the Scripps Institution of Oceanography predict there will be a water shortage due to global warming in as little as 20 years in the United States.

or this?

A third of the world's population lives in countries that find it difficult or impossible to meet water needs, a proportion that could double by 2025...Climate changes, including rising temperatures and sea levels, precipitation change, droughts and floods may wield great power over human and natural systems, he said.

Water shortage will be the most serious issue, affecting food production and bio-diversity as well as human water consumption, he said.

Perhaps you should read those a little more thoroughly. "Water shortage" refers to the very things I stated. The ratio of fresh water to salt water, the state of that water (water vapor is pretty ****ing useless when you're thirsty) and the ability to actually GET that water.

"Water shortage" does not mean "the earth is running out of water". Once again, a little critical thinking and perhaps a science class or two would do wonders.

And for those wondering, the amount of water on the planet does not stay constant. This planet has gone through billions of years of changes and much of that time was spent bone dry. Once you separate the oxygen from the hydrogen you no longer have water. Granted, that doesn't relate to the "global warming" issue but to think that the amount of water on earth is a constant is simply wrong.

Global warming also causes dogs to fart excessively. Just ask Al Gore.

The solution is simple: tax the heck out of energy, and everything that requires energy. Which won't be a problem for ol' Al, who'll keep flying around in a fuel-guzzling private jet while spending 20 times more than the average joe to keep his mansion powered-up; ol' Al has the money to pay the extra tax. Al says his mansion is O.K. because he voluntarily pays extra money to power it. ;)

He has no comment on the fuel-guzzling jet, though. Different standards for different folks, I suppose.

Wonderful. Instead of presenting a rational argument based on facts you find it easier to just make up ridiculous statements about a guy that has no bearing on the science of the matter. Great job. That's what the world needs, less thinking and more hyperbole!

Thanks for living up to the stereotype, buddy.

And, global warming is causing my dog to fart more often.

I like the dog, so I'll pay the "dog fart tax" to do my part and combat global warming!

I won't be able to afford the global warming gas tax, the natural gas tax, and/or the electrical utility tax, though. Perhaps Al Gore can cover those for me. :)

Thankfully, I'm sure that variations in water/rain/snow/temperature never existed before the internal combustion engine was invented, so I'm positive that global warming is causing drought conditions in Georgia.

Harry Reid says that global warming caused the fires in California, too. ;)

Redworm, Fremmer is proving that the prophet of supposed global warming is a complete hypocrite.

What does that say for their credibility?

It sure gets him a lot of slideshows, at $190k per show... oh, and the carbon credits ponzi scheme, and...

Back