Want to buy an affordable .22LR matched quality pistol

Personally, I would break out an ultrasonic cleaner for the various components of the upper. The main thing is not to use it on aluminum parts and to be sure to remove all water from nooks/crannies when finished.

It's all cleaned, put together and it dry fired. I watched the take down of the Mark II on youtube, I don't recall I ever did that ever, in another words, I never clean the Mark II that well. It's still not the cleanest, but at least all the crap are gone. Now just to go the range to test it out.

Look at these, that's how dirty it was. That's why it won't close completely!!! I am surprised it can even shoot!!! I never took a second look at the time. When it broke, I kind of quit shooting and packed the guns all away.:eek:
I wouldn’t want to see your underwear mate...:)

Thewelshm

The MkII will take some serious abuse. Glad you got it sorted out.

As far as cleaners, I have tried a bunch most get the job done. It will just need some elbow grease.

I would HIGHLY recommend the hoppes cleaning kit. It has brass scraper tools. It helps a LOT.

I hated doing the take down on mine. I had a 22/45. But I cleaned it after every range session. I found that after 500-1000rnds without cleaning I started having issues.

attachment.php

hers the amazon link. its currently $11.49, and worth EVERY penny IMHO
https://www.amazon.com/Hoppes-T03-hunting-cleaning-and-maintenance-products/dp/B01B1TBB10/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=hoppes+picks&qid=1612984122&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-1

As far as cleaners, I have tried a bunch most get the job done. It will just need some elbow grease.

Attachments

• cleaning kit.jpg
    cleaning kit.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
The MkII will take some serious abuse. Glad you got it sorted out.

I would HIGHLY recommend the hoppes cleaning kit. It has brass scraper tools. It helps a LOT.

I hated doing the take down on mine. I had a 22/45. But I cleaned it after every range session. I found that after 500-1000rnds without cleaning I started having issues.

attachment.php

hers the amazon link. its currently $11.49, and worth EVERY penny IMHO
https://www.amazon.com/Hoppes-T03-hunting-cleaning-and-maintenance-products/dp/B01B1TBB10/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=hoppes+picks&qid=1612984122&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-1

Thanks

Actually I have all those, I took it out from the shed yesterday. The metal pick was the most useful to go into sharp corners. It's not easy to clean either because I let it go for too long or I waited 30 years to clean it. The solution did nothing, had to be scrapped one spot at a time!!:o

I even have those round brush for 22 to go through the bore.

Yeah, 30years between cleaning might be a bit much. Maybe you could go for once a year.

I have tried a LOT of cleaners. Some work better than others. I have had the best luck with Bore Tech Eliminator. Its an all purpose bore cleaner, even removed copper. no wicked strong smell either. Slip 2000 has worked well for me, but I prefer the eliminator. Bore tech also makes a 22lr specific cleaner to deal with the waxes and lead from 22s, although I have not tried it. Just follow the directions on the bottle. It does make a difference. It is a touch on the spendy side, but its not insane. For me, its worth it.

https://www.boretech.com/categories/gun-cleaners/bore-cleaners

I don't understand 'shot it loose'?

I've got my Mark II Govt Target model bought in the early 1980's which is creeping up to 40k round through it. Over the years the upper will now separate easily from the lower when I take it apart for cleaning. If it gets worse, I'll eventually shim it to tighten it up again where it mates with the lower...

Like you in your post #10; my eyes aren't what they used to be as well, I recently picked up a Single-Six and tried out the HI-VIZ front sight but it seemed a little too wide for my taste. I bought a couple of Williams front Fire Sight off of ebay, they're much thinner and have more light around the sides of the front sight. Now I'm working on really breaking in the Single-Six :D

WilliamsFireSight_RBTorn.gif

Glad you got your MK II fixed Alan. Long ago I had a ruger standard and took it Down one time for cleaning. It was a booger to get back together. Gifted it to my brother a long time ago in a galaxy far far away.
I now have a MK IV which has a threaded barrel. That’s probably why the PRK doesn’t allow them there as they easily support suppressors. Really like the MK IV - easy shooting and tear down/reassembly is absolutely EASY. Decent trigger but could use some improvement.
if you still have the itch for a new 22 target pistol, I highly recommend the Browning Buckmark. Mine has an excellent trigger right out of the box.
As far as 22LR accuracy. I’m convinced that most available rimfire ammo has mediocre accuracy capability. I’ve heard it stated that some of the most accurate 22 ammo is Wolf. I’ve never found any of that here in KY but would like to try it.
I’ve been shooting 22 for about 45 years and have concluded that all 22 Rimfire ammo is dirty burning. The cleanest stuff I’ve shot has polymer coated bullets, CCI if you can find it.
Regards,
ciwsguy

Btw, if you pay cash for a purchase I suggest small mom and pop gun stores, not those big box stores.

I bought my Mk1 Target with 6 7/8 heavy tapered barrel in 1976. I put on a set of Ruger thumb rest walnut grips on it and shot with a local NRA pistol club with it until the anti gunners shut the club range down. I couldn't begin to count the rounds threw that gun or the small game I brought home with it over the years. Can't remember EVER having a malfunction shooting it. Still own it and looks like new to this day. The bolt hold open and improved mag release on the new modals would be nice though hdbiker

The bolt hold open

I used a Ruger Mark I for many years in bullseye (now precision pistol) competitions. All those years I thought I could not lock the bolt back with the magazine out.
Recently I found out that one can lock the bolt back with pushing up on the safety.....Duh!:D:D:D

Last edited:
My MkII, which is the stainless version of the OP's, has been a wonderfully fine pistol. I stumbled onto this thread after he had already "discovered" that he hadn't cleaned the thing, and it might be gummed up.. This is true about the Rugers. Mine can go 400-500 rounds without takedown/cleaning, but the bolt definitely starts getting sluggish.
Our oldest daughter had acquired her grandmother's Ruger, and asked me to look at it. I could barely get the bolt to cycle, and it would not fire at all. I tore it down, and spent about an hour soaking and brushing the parts to get the gummed up wax from the ammo out of all the nooks and crannies. The firing pin wouldn't even move. After re-assembly, the Ruger functioned/fired as if it was new.
They are "gunk sensitive"... as are many .22 rimfires.

Dis-assembly/assembly is a little more complex than other pistols, but it's not impossible. The biggest trick to learn is when putting the mainspring back in it, to turn it upside down so the hammer strut can swing down into position. If you don't, the strut will get caught and not engage the mainspring. No joy. Once you do it 5 or 6 times, it is no problem at all. I can probably get my MkII back together more quickly than I can an original 1911.

My stainless MkII is the one gun I will never sell. I've had it for over 30 years, and I hit what I aim at with it. I'd be scared to guess how many rounds I've fired through it, but it has to be close to 5000, very likely more. We used to buy bricks of MiniMags and go burn them up in a few outings. I replaced the black plastic grips with some I made from a piece of wood off a pallet... someone said it looked like pecan, or hickory. Those have been on the pistol for over 25 years, easily. A great old friend....

S&W Model 41...didn't see where you mentioned price. Also, I think you have a couple bad Model 17's...I have a 17-6 and it will do 1.5" at 50 off bags...it's boringly accurate.

Back