Want to buy an affordable .22LR matched quality pistol

Ammo.

Do yourself (and the gun) a favor. After you clean it, keep on cleaning it.
And.....buy yourself as many different kinds of .22 ammo as you can find and afford. Then go to the range and shoot ten shot groups with what you have.....keep the emphasis on standard velocity (yes, the Ruger is tough enough to shoot a lot of zippier stuff but SV is the way to go. I have shot a lot of pistol matches and looked on the line at what other shooters are shooting, especially the winners. I have never seen anyone using HV ammo.) After you shoot the strings of ten, evaluate and pick the best that you can afford.
Note: a Ruger MK.II is capable of shooting one inch groups at 50 yards with the right ammo. An inch and a half at 25 yards is not particularly good.
Example: the national record for 20 shots slow fire at 50 yards (3” ten ring, 1.6” X ring) is 199-11x. This is one handed shooting.

Last edited:
clean the snot of that thing and clean the bore really well to boot, and I'd bet that it'll be just as accurate as you remember.

Yes, that's what I'm going to do, still waiting for the new part to come.

If that is the case, send it to Ruger. They will fix it.

36 years old bought in the 80s? I doubted. I should have sent it in the time it broke.

Yeh, shooting loose in 7000 rounds sounds kind of strange with lead bullets. I just did not think deeper at the time because I was about to quit shooting. So it was like " whatever" and just packed it away. Never even open the bag for 30 years!!!

Actually thinking back that I just used the Winchester Wildcat might not get the most accurate result. Maybe a match round might give better result for me. I never got into match rounds both in 22 and even 45. I use just CCI Blazer 45ACP for competition because it's cheap.

Do yourself (and the gun) a favor. After you clean it, keep on cleaning it.
And.....buy yourself as many different kinds of .22 ammo as you can find and afford. Then go to the range and shoot ten shot groups with what you have.....keep the emphasis on standard velocity (yes, the Ruger is tough enough to shoot a lot of zippier stuff but SV is the way to go. I have shot a lot of pistol matches and looked on the line at what other shooters are shooting, especially the winners. I have never seen anyone using HV ammo.) After you shoot the strings of ten, evaluate and pick the best that you can afford.
Note: a Ruger MK.II is capable of shooting one inch groups at 50 yards with the right ammo. An inch and a half at 25 yards is not particularly good.
Pete
Yeh, I don't think the Winchester Wildcat is shouting match grade. I really never stop and think about this until today when I was writing here!!! Maybe I never even shoot the potential of the Mark II. Then the Blazer for my Gold Cup!!! Do you think this really made the difference if I get the match grade ammo?

1" group at 50yds, it better be a very calm day. I shot 50 yds with my Ruger 1022 22LR rifle, one time, I got such good grouping free handed, I couldn't miss!!! Then another day, it was all over the target because it was windy.

That could be the dirtiest pistol I have ever seen!

I also have Ruger MKII & Standard Model, they just keep on tickin with very little maintenance and still shoot good after many thousands of rounds.

Give it a good cleaning & my bet is you will have a decent shooter again after your repair.

Wind

Wind will surely make you wobble.
A further note about targets and groups. The B16 slowfire target has an Xring only 0.67” wide. An accurate gun will crowd that. The 10 ring is 1.5” but the shooter is not using a bench.

Thanks guys, sometimes, it's just good to bring a subject up and talk it out loud. For 30 years, I never even question about the Mark II, times that I almost dumped it away thinking that's it. It was shocking last night when I slide the bolt in without the recoil spring tension, how come it doesn't close all the way!!! How come when I pushed it close, it's sticks when I try to pull the bolt out? Then I actually looked into the ejection port and shocked myself all the crap inside!!!

Forget about shooting accurately, I am surprised it even shoot!!!

Now I have to buy some cleaning solution, I am sure whatever I have is useless already.

Cleaning

Two things. Hoppes still works.
Buy a spray can of brake cleaner. Use it first. Outside. It stinks. Spray the “....” out of the gun....field stripped. Then use the Hoppes.
Or do it the other way around....in any case use both.
Pete

Two things. Hoppes still works.
Buy a spray can of brake cleaner. Use it first. Outside. It stinks. Spray the “....” out of the gun....field stripped. Then use the Hoppes.
Or do it the other way around....in any case use both.
Pete
Thanks Pete

I need to buy a NEW .22LR MATCH grade pistol.

I had a Ruger Mark II bull barrel, it was accurate. I shot it loose after like 7000 rounds, then the main spring housing broke into two. I can easily get a new mainspring housing. BUT I cannot fix the shot loose. I need to buy another match grade .22LR semi-auto

I don't want a revolver, I have two S&W model 17, they.re nowhere up to the standard. I am talking about under 1.5" grouping for over 20 rounds with sand bag at 25yds. My only other pistol is up to this is my Colt Gold Cup after I accurized it and the Colt trouper 8" barrel.

I want to buy a NEW one, I don't need another good one but shot loosed. It's sad, I love that Mark II.

What do you mean by "shot loose"? Is the upper to lower fit loose? If so, don't worry about it. My MkII is that way, and it don't affect accuracy a bit. The sights move with the upper. If it bothers you, the fit can be tightened by any competent pistolsmith that knows the Ruger pistols.

For an economy match pistol, look into a Benelli MP95. You can save money, then up grade the MP95 to the better MP90 with a new set of grips and a trigger group for about $600.

Cleaners

Both Birchwood-Casey (Gun Scrubber) and Tetra (Action Blaster) market aerosol gun cleaners that are at least a bit less odorous than brake cleaner. Not as easy to find though.

I got the part and replaced the broken part already. The next step is CLEAN the gun!!! The picture attached are just from scrapping, no solution, just crap I scrapped out. I tried to put the main spring housing back, it won't fit because too much crap preventing the bolt from even close completely.

I am surprised the gun even shoot period. I never even take it down this much in the picture, I only know to take out the barrel from the youtube video!!

Attachments

• Mainspring.jpg
    Mainspring.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 49
Some good products listed. I like Hornady One Shot spray and Hoppe’s no.9. Liquid.
Break Free or CLP as lubricant.

Let those parts soak in a solvent, brush gently, repeat. There is a nice pistol in there!
Volquartsen . Com is your place for trigger upgrades

Send it to ruger. A little tig welding and it will be good as new. Then you could go buckmark or victory for economy level guns with decent barrels for target shooting. Or you can buy a top end for a 1911 you may already own from Nelson.

Send it to ruger. A little tig welding and it will be good as new. Then you could go buckmark or victory for economy level guns with decent barrels for target shooting. Or you can buy a top end for a 1911 you may already own from Nelson.
It's fixed already. Just cleaning now.

Cleaning is not as simple, so much crap, the gun cleaning solution is useless, I have to scrape everything. So far, I only clean the chamber and the bolt, scraping all the groove, corners and everything. Still have to lower frame with all the moving parts.

Last edited:
Many people remove the mainspring and the bolt, clean the barrel and put it back together. You can be too anal about cleaning.

Back