Want a pump 12, but which one?

I like the M500 or 835 because of the location of the safety. Second choice would be the Rem M870. Have used both extensively and never a functional problem with either.

alaskabushman

I am really looking for a defense gun with waterfowl capabilities.

In a 12 ga, pump action. The only thing I'd look at to cover BOTH of those applications VERY well, personally is a Mossberg 835. Home defense barrels available, tough as nails and with the ability to shoot 3 & 1/2" mag shells; it can handle anything you could think of to through at a shotgun....and then some. Easy to find also, and cheap. I do like the remingtons, but 90% + of the 870s I come across are 3" guns.

I own two of them, I plan on picking up a third this year. A Parked. or blued model with wood stocks I can find one. Do I have others that are fancier for show, that I grab out of the safe before I'll reach for the mossy for specific uses? Yes... I've got down right pretty auto loaders for upland birds and skeet. But the 835s are my go to workhorses.

Last edited:
Another vote for the BPS, might be expensive compared to an 870 but its worth it. I stopped counting when I hit 15,000 rounds, probably twice that right now, only been cleaned twice aint had a problem yet.

The 870 is modular, cheap, and tough

It depends on which 870 you are looking at. If you are holding one of the new 870 Express models then I'd agree with you 100%. They look like crap and have a nasty habit of surface rust.

On the other hand, if you are holding the Wingmaster I'd disagree. They really should have been given different model numbers because I just don't see them being anything close to the same gun.

You asked for experience. I've owned and used a 12 gauge 870 wingmaster for over 30 years now, upland and waterfowling. With not a single platform related problem ever. I take good care of my guns and it's as nice looking now as it was when I bought it.

I inherited an 870 express magnum model after my best friend died last year. We had a field day with the kids and grandkids not long after. The express would lock up on cheap winchester shells, the wingmaster didn't and never has cared what you feed it. I've since polished the chamber on the express so who knows.

I can and will in good conscience, based 100% on experience with an 870 wingmaster recommend it for any purpose anywhere, any time. Given even minimal care.

Best Pump Shotgun?

Your choices are OK, but you have overlooked the "perfect repeater"; a Winchester Model 12! I have several of them; all milled parts; built like a tank, and for self defense, get one made in the '50's that you can slam fire:i.e., hold triger back while jacking the handle. You can spit out a lot of lead thataway!
Look around and you can find them, usually with a polychoke or some other multichoke on it for $300-350. They were and are a great gun!
smokem

I just picked up a Winchester SXP defender last month for $350. It's the nicest pump shotgun I've ever held. Smooth, light and tight with a chrome lined open choke barrel. Took it out shooting last weekend and its probably one of the most advance pump shotgun in the world. Rotating bolt, aluminum receiver, pump assist and easy 3 main assembly breakdown. Accommodates 2 3/4 and 3 inch shells. I believe it will work with some 1300 parts but haven't confirmed this. There is also a waterfowl barrel available for it. Minimal recoil and I've heard a lot of service members praise them. Looks mean as heck too. The Turks make some great shotguns so don't believe the detractors. .300 Weatherby Mag, what did you dislike after handling one? Winchester knows how to make shotguns and this is to my knowledge their most advance pump to date. It's all business and I absolutely love it.
Super-X-Pump-Defender-Shotgun--MID-512252-l.jpg

Just saw this offer over at Bass Pro Shops. It might be a viable option as well.
http://www.basspro.com/Mossberg-FLE...12-Gauge-Shotgun-Combo/product/1301220631389/

Last edited:
If it matters, the only one discussed here made in America is the 870. While Mossberg says they are "American Made," 90% of the work is done in Mexico and assembled right across the border in Texas. Some people don't mind that, which is fine. But just in case it does . . .

If it matters, the only one discussed here made in America is the 870. While Mossberg says they are "American Made," 90% of the work is done in Mexico and assembled right across the border in Texas. Some people don't mind that, which is fine. But just in case it does .

That only applies to the Maverick 88??

Last edited:
I wish that were true, 300 Weatherby. It was at one time. But all Mossberg shotguns are made in Mexico and assembled in Texas. Check out the latest ATF data showing 2011 stats.

http://www.atf.gov/statistics/download/afmer/2011-final-firearms-manufacturing-export-report.pdf

Maverick Arms assembled 423,570 shotguns in Eagle Pass, Texas in 2011 and zero in CT. I know they make a lot of 88s but not that many. Maverick is Mossberg. Their rifles are made there as well. Rimfire in Brazil. They only push paper in the United States. Sad but true.

Ive always been a Wingmaster fan, but I bought a Benelli Nova to use for 3 gun, and they have grown on me. They are fugly, but tough as nails, and pretty much weatherproof.

I wish that were true, 300 Weatherby. It was at one time. But all Mossberg shotguns are made in Mexico and assembled in Texas. Check out the latest ATF data showing 2011 stats.

http://www.atf.gov/statistics/downlo...ort-report.pdf

Maverick Arms assembled 423,570 shotguns in Eagle Pass, Texas in 2011 and zero in CT. I know they make a lot of 88s but not that many. Maverick is Mossberg. Their rifles are made there as well. Rimfire in Brazil. They only push paper in the United States. Sad but true.

I don't like those stats.. But I don't buy from Mossberg, I already have one 500 field and one is enough...

What concerns more than anything is the fact that I have no choice other than to buy an imported pumped, in my case a Browning BPS.. I bought a new Wingmaster 12 gauge and it was problem ridden from day one... The only viable choice for a new domestic made pump for me is a new production Ithaca... If only my darn brother would sell the 1962 vintage 870 I had back to me.......:mad:

The only viable choice for a new domestic made pump for me is a new production Ithaca...

I was *wondering* when someone would mention the M37. How come these aren't more popular in the States? Is it merely the *price*?

And if so, I was under the impression that you could just waltz into a pawn shop and buy a second-hand shotgun for peanuts(ish). I don't understand why Americans would buy a new foreign shotgun over an old American one. (Benellis excepted, perhaps.)

I must be missing something, here...

Regards,

Mark.

P.S. Can anyone tell me why I don't see a "reply with quote" button on TFL posts?

BigDinFL,

It's hard enough using a 'Droid tablet to post responses without having to jump through *more* hoops... :) I asked the question merely because I thought that the forum's software had a bug that didn't allow me to "see" a reply-with-quote button that pretty much all other forums have.

More importantly, what d'you think about my question: why *do* Yanks buy new foreign instead of second-hand American? I have a number of old(ish) American pump-action shotguns - including three M37s - and I have to say that I *prefer* old guns.

Regards,

Mark.

I'd go for SX3 out of those you'd listed if you don't want the Benelli or the BPS.

Whatever you choose, enjoy your shooting.

ATB,

Scrummy

Back