Walther PPQ 45 has landed...Range and pictorial review.

As far as “inherently accurate?” It always comes down to the shooter and how neutral their shooting style is. Obviously no one is a machine when it comes to shooting but the quest for all marksmen is to develop a neutral shooting style. The more neutral and repetitive you can be, any handgun will perform well. One of the “crutches” I see from beginners to seasoned patrol officers is relying on one type of gun platform too much. A professional golfer will pick up a $50 set of garage sale clubs and still outperform the average golfer with a set of $3k Pings. A good shooting form can make up for a gritty trigger at defense distance shooting. Looking for the magic firearm to make up for bad shooting habits is what gun manufacturers count on and advertise in their “tacticool messages” and the new gun enthusiast eats this up as if this new and improved pistol suddenly will turn them into a tier one operator level of shooter. It goes without saying, the equipment isn’t why these guys are so good. They also train to shoot about every kind of firearm so that should tell you how much the operator behind the firearm is what really pushes the bullet to it’s mark.

Bottom line: Way too much attention is given to the gun itself on the forums. I would rather the ammo get more consideration than the firearm because it has more of a influence in end results than the mid to upper end firearm. Any of the quality level handguns from Walther, Sig, Glock, HK, etc... and a good shooting style will be more than accurate enough.
What firearm calls to you is totally a personal and subjective choice. Just make sure your not chasing a firearm to make up for personal shooting deficiencies.

Last edited:
On guns with threaded barrels for suppressors can you remove the "suppressor nut" at the end of the barrel and still shoot the gun? Or, do you have to leave the nut screwed into the barrel?

Last edited:
It’s just a thread protector. You may shoot it unsupressed with or without the thread protector on the end of the barrel.

One more word of advise with these thread protectors. Never over tighten or use loctite. Just check it every so often it isn’t unscrewing. I have seen these get so stuck to the point they had to be destroyed to get them off.

I have been working with several LE agency with upgrading their duty ammo to the new HELO monolithic. I have worked with it and tested it when it was being developed. It wasn’t really going to be available to the consumer but I guess it was released in limited amounts??
Absolutely next level in terminal ballistics and barrier penetration. Departments and especially tactical entry teams were looking for a “one bullet does it all”. This is about as close as it gets.

Some of the test videos and lab results. Zero deflection through a windshield and opens up when shot through about any barrier.
https://youtu.be/pf08u41PMe0

I think It can only be purchased directly from the manufacturer and it looks like there isn’t any consumer restrictions.
https://www.alchemistammunition.com/

Last edited:
I get it. When I was a kid I use to think a Pontiac Fierro looked just like a Ferrari on our family road trips.

That appears as the only 9mm ammunition available at times. At 185gr!

Sounds like you are well respected. I look forward to seeing the proof of the HELO brand.

Oops! thinking the Sesmic "Quake Maker" in 9mm. My bad.

Yes. The 9mm is as accurate as the 45 PPQ. The P99 20rnd Walther magazine fits the M1 PPQ with just an added inch. So the PPQ can hold more than a CZ competition Shadow and has natural point and a superior trigger.

I don't know. If something is immediately easier to hit the target (as you've reviewed above), I think we are assessing accuracy a bit wrong. Sure, all guns are easy and will shoot straight. But if one is just fundamentally easier by new shooters? That sounds better to me?

Bottom line: Way too much attention is given to the gun itself on the forums. I would rather the ammo get more consideration than the firearm because it has more of a influence in end results than the mid to upper end firearm. Any of the quality level handguns from Walther, Sig, Glock, HK, etc... and a good shooting style will be more than accurate enough.
What firearm calls to you is totally a personal and subjective choice. Just make sure your not chasing a firearm to make up for personal shooting deficiencies.

I still believe that there are some pistols that can't quite pull off 1 hole at 25 yards with 12 rounds for mechanical reasons. Call me crazy.

I still believe that there are some pistols that can't quite pull off 1 hole at 25 yards with 12 rounds for mechanical reasons. Call me crazy.

I still believe that 2” at 25 yd is more mechanical accuracy than most shooters can manage standing unsupported. Heck what I see most often is far worse than that, and even closer.

I don’t want a mechanically inaccurate pistol. If my pistol will only do 3” at 25 yd as opposed to 1” at 25 yd, I don’t consider it inaccurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyone is different and some designs lend themself to certain shooting styles and habits better than others. Where I have a issue is when a shooter constantly looks for a new handgun to make up for their bad shooting habits. There are cases of a defective handgun but it’s so rare. As long as you have a quality firearm shooting quality ammo, it will outperform better than most people will shoot. Grip, sight picture, and recoil mitigation are far more important in a follow up shot where gun fighting skills matters the most.

Last edited:
Mystro: said:
Everyone is different and some designs lend themself to certain shooting styles and habits better than others. Where I have a issue is when a shooter constantly looks for a new handgun to make up for their bad shooting habits. There are cases of a defective handgun but it’s so rare. As long as you have a quality firearm shooting quality ammo, it will outperform better than most people will shoot. Grip, sight picture, and recoil mitigation are far more important in a follow up shot where gun fighting skills matters the most.

Agree 100%, the “latest & greatest” guns on the market won’t fix bad technique or a lack of training & practice. I trust things I figure out for myself rather than what I read or what I’m told. We all want to be better shooters and concentrating on the fundamentals is a way to improve regardless of which brand or style of firearm is used.

Best necrothread ever. :)

It’s like a conversation between friends that just happened to pick back up a few years later.

Back