Walther PPQ 45 has landed...Range and pictorial review.

I can tell you this, it is the smallest grip size of any 45acp that holds 12 + 1. It feels like it's a 40S&W. It will be the only choice for those that want a hi cap 45acp with mid size hands or smaller.

The picture shows the mid size blackstrap. There is a larger one that I may try but on its current form it feels like my PPQ 9mm.

Any idea if the PPQ 45 will be made in the 5" configuration? Thinking about USPDA, but I don't want to start stockpiling another caliber (40).

IF they do, it won't be out for a few years. From what I am told, Walthers spent a lot of time, money, and effort to create the PPQ45 to feel like the original PPQ. It was to be as close to the same size as the PPQ as they could get it. (They nailed it);)
This was for holster sharing and I am sure there is a hidden agenda to push the entire line for military and LE as a universal platform. It will become their signature design for along time and they are putting all their eggs in this basket.

I can tell you that my PPQ45 was used as a demo gun right out of the box without any cleaning or oiling and had at least 500 rounds put through it in one day at our gun expo. That was with hundreds of shooters shooting it without ANY malfunctions. You can imagine how many new shooters that weak wristed it and never a issue.

What more surprising is that after I cleaned it up, the gun still looks absolutely virgin with no finish removed from where the barrel locks up in the slide. That is saying a lot about its durability.

I don't know if you can tell in this pic but look at the barrel where it locks up. Other than being filthy dirty, there is not any U shaped lockup marks. This pick was taken before I put a additional 250 rounds through it after the expo. That's 750 rounds without cleaning or oiling.

Great review. FWIW I had a PPQ 9mm as well and, like another member said, I could never quite get the speed/accuracy out of it like I can with Glocks/M&Ps/Steyrs/ect... But lots of folks love them and mine was flawless in terms of reliability and there's no doubt it has one of the best striker fired tigers made.

Nice shooting!

Thinking they could reduce the length of that grip a bit to make it more concealable and still have room for your pinky. Make the grip length the same as a Glock 19.

Just came back from another range trip with the PPQ45. I rapid fired so much I had to put the gun down. It was so hot I couldnt touch the slide to even rack it. Left hand, right hand,etc... just about any way you can shoot a handgun, I did it. Had fun rolling apples out to 30 yards and blowing them into a cloud of applesauce. So far my impressions and confidence in the PPQ45 is growing. What ever I looked at, I could hit it. It certainly the gun to have when under stress and relaxing your shooting form. Holster carry was also extremely comfortable. I know it was heavier than a PPQ9mm but didnt feel like it on the hip. No issues when driving long distances in my truck with it on the hip. The PPQ is moving into my #1 edc spot.

Was trying out some new ammo from Massammo.com.
Sasq%2045acp%20new.jpg

The holster I was using today.
PPQ%20holster.jpg

Old posts....but I just handgun. I have taken this gun to the range a few times and love how it feels and the accuracy. The trigger is excellent in that it seems to have a smooth pull.

Anyone else have any feedback on this gun?

You can’t argue with targets that have nice groups near center mass right where they should be. Some of us knew the Walther PPQ in .45 ACP was a seriously accurate piece and this just proves the point. Using quality ammo also makes a difference. A top shelf range report that anyone considering a .45 service pistol would have to give serious consideration to. Me and my Gen4 21 have our work cut out for us at the range this weekend!

I remember 5 years ago, like it was 5 years ago.

Looks like Mystro hasn’t been around in 2 years or so. He always did nice reviews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s still nice to see targets that don’t look like Swiss cheese even if they are vintage!

No doubt. Mystro was always a good shooter. I always got good accuracy from the PPQs in 9mm I owned. Walther and accuracy are usually pretty synonymous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am trying to get back on the forums more often now.;) With the current Covid state, I was called back to duty for various caliber ammunition developments and all kinds of tactical implementations. No excuse but I need to hang out more.

Funny thing about the PPQ45. It has its own feel separate from all my other striker fire guns. It’s trigger pull and grip angle feels like you are pushing the bullet into the desired target. I have found that just about all my students that demo the PPQ over the years shoot it inherently accurate right from their first magazine. There is nothing to get use to other than the perceived lighter trigger break. I have to shoot everything but certain guns do stand out from the herd and the PPQ is one of them most fall in love with.

(FYI..Photobucket screwed many of our threads pics from the last few years. I am working with my own server to restore the lost pictures. )

My PPQ’s (and most of my handguns) are wearing Speedsights. I worked with the company a few years back developing proper figments for particular brands and models of handguns.

Photo%20Aug%2021%2C%209%2045%2018%20AM.jpg

Last edited:
I know your a big fan of the Sig 227 but it sounds like you found your new favorite.

Great review, Mystro. I am surprised at how old this thread is. Being a fan of the SIG models 220 and, especially, the Model 227, I'm interested as to how you would compare the hammer-fired (tangerine) SIG and the striker-fired (orange) Walther in terms of their uses as self-defense pistols.
I've never owned a Walther but I've always been extremely happy and never disappointed with the accuracy and reliability attributes SIG pistols possess. Too, my Sig Models 227 and 226 fit my hand as well as any other pistol does.

I love them both equally. How is that for no help??? No seriously both platforms do what they do exceptionally well. They are two different animals. The P227 is truly a combat handgun and feels like a Swiss watch. The down fall to all this is it’s weight. It’s heavy to carry but that goes with what it is. My P227 is a custom shop and then some type of gun so it is one of the smoothest DA/SA Sigs you will ever shoot. The PPQ45 is bone stock internally and doesn’t need anything. Honestly I believe you could (and should) own both of these guns as they compliment each other. My P227 is one of my bed side handguns because I like DA/SA guns for the bump in the night duties. It also wears a 800 lume light which it’s platform carries very well. Polymer guns are workhorses that I won’t cry if they take a hit on the side of the vehicle getting in and out. The Sig all metal frame and G10 grips might make me cringe only because I mentally baby them a bit more (not that they are not just as tough). I literally own about every hand gun that is carried or used by LE and various military. They are tools for me. My duty hand gun varies from a G32 to a USP Compact in 40 or 357Sig. They are tools and I don’t care if they get chucked across the parking lot in a struggle. I do occasionally carry the a P226/P227/P229 on duty but their extra weight over the G32 becomes apparent an the end of the day. Weight is really the biggest downside of non polymer platforms and sums up why I carry polymer guns 90% of the time. I have my duty holsters set up for mainly three platforms of guns. A G23,G32,G19,G30s. All of those can and do get carried on duty. My Sig rig holds my P229,P226,P227 size platforms. The only oddball rig I use is for my HK USP Compacts and I own them in every caliber (9,40,357Sig,45acp). These three duty rigs allow me to carry a plethora of handguns. I have a Sheriff Dept shooting the PPQ45 and I will strap it on when visiting them. I deal a lot with various levels of training within the LE departments. If they carry a G17, then I will showcase ammo or gear for the G17. The tactical guys that have a more open end line of gear is when the different calibers and more expensive platforms are appreciated. My biggest issue with the PPQ in general was proper LE duty holsters. I worked directly with Walther on this issue. Walther needed to understand was that LE Dept buy handguns based on a platform across the line. Glock being the most common and easily to accommodate and what most used. To get a LE Dept to switch to a PPQ, I had to sell the buyers for the Dept on the idea that they need to also buy all new holsters and in some case extra magazine pouches. This made the PPQ a tough sell even though it shoots so much smoother and oozed high quality. It almost always boils down to money in the end regarding platforms and calibers.

Last edited:
This made the PPQ a tough sell even though it shoots so much smoother and oozed high quality

Mystro,

I ask this common question of myself whenever I get a new pistol (whether for fun or carry/defense candidate), and I've seen this question asked by newcomers frequently here on the board. Since I see you've had extensive experience with the big name brands, I can't pass up the opportunity to ask you.
Of the firearms you've dealt with, which duty gun has in your experience shown the greatest potential for accuracy (mechanical, practical, or otherwise) ? (I suspect the PPQ45)
How about runner up?
And does the PPQ in 9mm show the same potential for accuracy as 45??

Here's why I ask. Over the years, I've settled on "the gun is more inherently accurate than the shooter" which is the common answer supplied by the forum. Which for a newer shooter points them in the right direction. Gun reviewers typically will obtain ~3-4 inch spread at 25 yards slow fire as the standard for a polymer duty gun. However, I've had some pistols that I've been convinced something was off. And sometimes the opposite is true, my tiny Kahr CM9 outperforms some of my compact pistols. With the shorter sight radius, long DA trigger pull, tiny grips, I have to think the mechanical accuracy is high despite the unhelpful human interface components working in the opposite direction.

And while I'm at it, a lot has happened since your original post. How do you feel about the P320 in comparison?

By the way, nice grouping @ 20 yards free hand. Incredible. What ammo were you using in that one (if you still remember?)

Last edited:
I’d heard that many LE agencies will only authorize use of double action striker service pistols, a.k.a the Glock striker design, where the striker is cocked by pulling the trigger. The PPQ striker is fully cocked when the action is cycled, thus in single action and ready to fire. When the trigger is pulled, the striker is released and fired. I’d be interested to learn which LE agencies either issue or authorize use of the Walther PPQ, and it would be interesting to hear about the LE track record of the gun.

Great review Mystro! If I did not know better I would say that you were working for Walther, but I know how great their guns are. I had always been a 1911 guy and never liked "Plastic" guns until I bought the PPQ in 9mm for my wife. Walther made me change my views and their guns are exceptionally made with their trigger pull being one of the lightest out of the box. Right know as I mentioned I carry 1911 and recently changed to a revolver 686+, but If I purchased another gun in 45 it would definitely be the Walther PPQ in 45 cal.

Back