Wallet holsters illegal???

Status
Not open for further replies.
The DeSantis Pocket Shot holster is legal apparently because the muzzle rides above the holster and the slide is not covered. Currently available at Midway, Cabelas, etc.

Also, Bud's sells a Ruger LCP Wallet Pocket holster, in stock.

-Sent via my 9600 baud modem-

Great Thread !

This is a great thread, with so many new shooters that might not be aware of this facet of the law, someone might either find a holster like this or get one as a gift and start carrying contrary to law.

A thread like this could very well save someone from a long prison term and the permanent loss of their firearms rights.

What Dr. Who said is correct. As long as the slide is exposed, you are ok. It's a better design this way anyway! In fact, my EDC uses a very similar holster to the one posted by Dr. Who - I modified it for my Diamondback DB9

Two things to note about this kind of "wallet" holster: 1) There is no trigger protection - be very careful "quick drawing"; and 2) While you can shoot it accurately in a holster like this, the finger hole is awkward, uncomfortable and takes a lot of getting used to!

Hold on, hold on

Basically, any holster at all that does not cover the trigger, and have an open muzzle, allows a pistol to be fired. This just doesn't add up. I don't think a holster with a trigger hole is considered an NFA any other weapon, I have seen these pocket holsters with holes on the triggers for sale in well known online retailers. I think you guys might be mistaken. There are all kinds of holsters even for concealed or open carry that have no covering of the trigger. Even if they had an open muzzle or not you could still fire them. Since the holster is just a holster, an ACCESORY for a firearm, it does in no way change the firearm. You can pull the trigger and fire it, whether it's in a pocket holster with a hole over the trigger or there is no holster at all.

I don't know but this just doesn't seem right

It's basically like saying certain slings or rifle stocks are NFA AOW. The only even semi decent reasoning I could see would be that a pistol with a holster covering everything but the grip may be hard to identify as a pistol.

"Hey man why are you pointing your wallet at.. BANG..me"

I know that if somebody looks serious and is pointing something at me, I'm going on the defense, because whatever it is (holster covered pistol, pistol, knife, etc..) It can and probably will be used to harm me. And my life is more important that yours

It really doesn't matter if it makes sense to you, it's a fact.
You can believe it or not. Or, you could check and find out for yourself.

At least one factor that enters into the argument is that the original Hi-Standard holster was screwed to the gun after removing the grips., making the holster a "permanent " part of the rig.

I can see it now, "Officer she was pointing that baby carriage at me in a very threatening way. I had no choice..." You are a funny guy P71.

Hold on, hold on

Basically, any holster at all that does not cover the trigger, and have an open muzzle, allows a pistol to be fired. This just doesn't add up. I don't think a holster with a trigger hole is considered an NFA any other weapon, I have seen these pocket holsters with holes on the triggers for sale in well known online retailers. I think you guys might be mistaken. There are all kinds of holsters even for concealed or open carry that have no covering of the trigger. Even if they had an open muzzle or not you could still fire them. Since the holster is just a holster, an ACCESORY for a firearm, it does in no way change the firearm. You can pull the trigger and fire it, whether it's in a pocket holster with a hole over the trigger or there is no holster at all.
It's basically like saying certain slings or rifle stocks are NFA AOW. The only even semi decent reasoning I could see would be that a pistol with a holster covering everything but the grip may be hard to identify as a pistol.

Well, you obviously started at the end of this book, and didn't see post #14. Or didn't understand what that lengthy post was saying.
So here, try it again.

December 30, 2007
The Bureau Of Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms (ATF) has decided that the Wallet Holsters which allow the gun to be fired while it is still in the holster, are now considered "Any Other Weapon" (AOW) The description of AOW is a device that is designed to not look like a firearm and yet fires a bullet. So the concept is that because it looks like a wallet and mugger may percieve it as a wallet as you are shooting him, the ATF thinks they should demand a tax on it. The tip up Berettas, the Seecamp, several other pistols, have holsters specifically designed for them.

Now if you obtain one, you have to take it to a Class II manufacturer who fills out the appropriate paperwork and registers the weapon/holster combination as an AOW. The next step is to get the signature of a local law enforcement officer (Chief of Police or Sheriff), then get fingerprinted and send the whole thing off to ATF, along with (2) photographs of yourself, and $ 5.00 to cover the tax that is due.

In a few months, they will send you a tax stamp that says you can own it. Now you go back to the Class II guy and pick it up. If you plan on carrying it on your person, make sure you have a copy of this documentation with you at all times. Each state has specific laws governing the ownership of these devices so you better check first to make sure you can legally own it before you plunk down your hard earned dollars.

The paperwork is larger and harder to conceal than the gun! If you cannot find a Class II manufacturer in your area, the only alternative is to "make your own" AOW. This will cost you a whopping $ 200.00 to obtain the tax stamp. You cannot take possession of the gun and holster combination until you have been approved and have your stamp.

If you really want one of these holsters, do your homework and check it out for yourselves. A Federal Criminal Charge is something most people can do without!!!!!!

The ADC pen gun is not an AOW. It has to be cocked by "bending" it in the middle. This, according to ATF, makes the pen look like a pistol. It can not be fired in the straight, "pen" position.

That's a surprise, in one way.

It doesn't look like a gun to me, but I'm a civilian.

Attachments

• ADC M-2.jpg
    ADC M-2.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 48
Surprising that they don't put the Taurus Curve on the AOW list. Square, curved, lazer pionter, and flashlight with no sights. Doesn't sound like a gun to me:confused:

Bill is right on this. It doesn't have to make sense. In a broad sense, it a gun is disguised to look like something else it's an AOW. Like the following:

HK Briefcase - not a gun by any stretch of the imagination, but it is an AOW because it was designed to conceal a gun inside of a Briefcase with full functionality.

G.R.A.D. Knife-Gun. Because you can't see any outward sign that it is a gun (looks like a thick-handled knife), it's an AOW

Pen guns (not the Stinger/Braverman type that must be cocked) which looks somewhat like pens or mechanical pencils are AOW's

Interestingly, the Powell Knife pistol is not an AOW - go figure!!

This new Palm Pistol is not an AOW. http://palmpistol.com/ordering/ Probably because it doesn't attempt to look like something it isn't.

P71pilot said:
I don't think a holster with a trigger hole is considered an NFA any other weapon
It doesn't matter what you think, what matters is what the ATF thinks. The ATF is in charge of interpreting and enforcing the National Firearms Act, and they say that certain kinds of wallet holsters are AOWs. Here's a PDF of an FFL newsletter where they specifically discuss wallet holsters. It's from 1997, but nothing has changed since then:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...tRSFur6cFbRzyoEjQ&sig2=4fbcmFAgQCaVY3xC_hNWCQ

From that newsletter:

ATF said:
During the 1970s, ATF determined that various small handguns combined with with certain "wallet holsters" fall into the "any other weapon" category and are subject to the provisions of the NFA. These wallet holsters are generally rectangular in shape, are designed to disguise the appearance of the handgun, and are designed to allow the weapon to be fired while it is contained within the wallet. The handgun combined with the wallet holster constitutes an NFA firearm.

Here is the specific wording of the NFA's definition of "Any Other Weapon" and a few examples of them provided by the ATF. Note the wallet holster designed to fire the gun from inside the holster:

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/firear...irearms-national-firearms-act-definitions-any

Here are more examples of AOWs from the ATF's website. Note the wallet holsters:

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/firearms-guide-identification-firearms-section-9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back