VP shoots hunter

Do you think there should be some kind of hunting education / training?

• Yes

Votes: 46 80.7%
  • No

Votes: 11 19.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well, I guess if I have a conflict with the idea that rules = commandments, it's along the line that circumstances trump rules.

Sure, it's easy to agree with the rule that you should always be aware of what's behind your target. I fully agree.

But how about the group-hunt responsibility that Whittington should have made his location known? And, of course, Cheney should have been checking around to make sure of the location of the rest of the group, including Whittington.

And all that brings us to circumstance. Whittington didn't sing out as he approached. Cheney thought he was still back by the vehicle. Cheney gets focussed on the bird, and we all should know what happens to peripheral vision. Last, Cheney swings into the direction of a 4PM sun.

Circumstances cam:e together such that Cheney could not see Whittington in time to realize the mistake.

Okay. All that said: The Newsweek article said the quail flushed from behind Cheney. I guess it's at least halfway obvious that if you're with any sort of group, it's pretty difficult to do an about-face without covering somebody as you turn. IOW, don't go for that particular bird.

Nobody broke any rules on purpose. I just try to figure out how stuff happens so I can avoid having such a problem in my own future.

:), Art

Re: Art Eatman

The VP admitted that the Sun had been a factor. His vision was blurred by it. At that point, his following of the bird should have halted. It would be like shooting at a deer on ridge without knowing what is behind it.

Unless you are saying there is an exception to safety rules when small, fast birds are involved. You can use the blurred vision, adrenalin pumping excuse for most hunting accidents. The guy that shoots the steer can say that he was so excited that the horns looked like antlers. You could call that a situational circumstance too.

With all due respect, I would never hunt with someone with your attitude about hunting safety and accidents. This statement will probably get me flamed and or expelled from this forum. But I have strong feelings about this.

Back